My old chem teacher blew himself up, caused school evacuation

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ekaru
No, really, he did, on the first day of school to boot:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9361 ... igh-School
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 98008.html

MINNEAPOLIS -- A Minneapolis high school was evacuated Monday morning after a chemical explosion inside a classroom.

First responders were called to Patrick Henry High School, 4320 Newton Avenue North, around 9:30 a.m. They found a classroom with damage to a table and desks, but no active fire.

A recorded telephone message was sent out to the families of Patrick Henry students Monday afternoon.

"Minneapolis emergency personnel and [Minneapolis Public Schools] safety and security staff responded to the matter," part of the message said. "MPS environmental health and safety staff were on hand to monitor air quality. Students and staff were cleared to return to school at 10:40 a.m. and student learning continued."

Investigators learned the explosion occurred while a teacher was preparing for a demonstration for students. The school was immediately placed in lockdown by staff and then evacuated once fire crews arrived on scene.

A male teacher was transported to North Memorial Medical Center with minor burns and cuts. His condition is not known at this time, but injuries are not life threatening. No one else was hurt in the explosion.

The Minneapolis Bomb Squad was requested to the scene as a precaution due to the explosive nature of the call. Crews cleared the scene at 11:15 and students were allowed to return to class.
A student who was closer to it saw it and said it was pretty nasty (thankfully it was during prep, so no students actually got hurt, so he won't get sued). He was, like, the coolest teacher in the school by far, so I feel sad for him. D: The cuts aren't that big of a deal, but burns and the broken hand (which wasn't included in the news reports)? Those definitely suck. ><;
Firo Prochainezo
I'm glad to hear he's alive.
awp
my former highschool physics teacher made a small hydrogen bomb in class once, so the rest of the staff changed the locks on the chemistry closet

then he learned how to pick the lock but he doesn't make bombs in class anymore (last I heard)
Shellghost
Blow yourself up on the first day of school.

Sounds like a bad movie.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

awp wrote:

my former highschool physics teacher made a small hydrogen bomb in class once, so the rest of the staff changed the locks on the chemistry closet

then he learned how to pick the lock but he doesn't make bombs in class anymore (last I heard)
Hahaha! That's just great. XD I'm tempted to learn how to make one of those, but I already know that it would not end well.
Vext_old
I don't care what anyone says, teacher is awesome. I would much rather have one like that than a boring ass one that hates life and pretty much makes you learn everything on your own.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Vext wrote:

I don't care what anyone says, teacher is awesome. I would much rather have one like that than a boring ass one that hates life and pretty much makes you learn everything on your own.
He is pretty awesome, actually! There's a reason he's one of, if not the, most-liked teachers among students who've had him. Among other things, he lights his hand on fire! (Among other cool and dangerous-looking shit) This is a serious topic, it's just in Off-Topic 'cuz I don't think it's big enough to be in GD. :P

Unfortunately, he screwed up this morning. ><; I hope he gets better soon; I would hate for the students still at my High School to be stuck with one of the teachers you described for the rest of the year (ex. my current Physics professor).
iMuffin
wait you live in MN? So do I :D

and on the topic that teacher sounds badass
FisHie_old
Get well, Mr. Badass Teacher.
NoHitter
My chemistry teacher made a flashbang once - during an experiment.
He had to extend the experiment by 30 min for us to recover from the light.
Lizzehb
This happened in my state and I didn't hear about it? WTF? I need to start paying attention outside life more....

I hope he'll get better soon. <3

Teachers like that are the reason the more kids stay in school.
Ephemeral
my old science teacher in highschool was playing with sodium metal in water infront of the class as a demonstration on pyrophoric metals

the sodium lept out of the beaker and onto a stack of assignments in their plastic sheets

the resulting inferno was simultaneously horrifying and hilarious
Sinistro
If I remember his story correctly, my dad's high school chemistry teacher once put too much sodium in the water beaker, causing an explosion or a fire or something.
Ash Cat
I live so close to Minneapolis and haven't heard about this yet D:

I'm glade hes alive.
James2250
How come I never had any science teachers that did crazy stuff :(

All we did was read from textbooks (probably explains why I dislike science)
Hikaros
i hope i don't go to hell cuz i lol'd really hard at that fail.

Pokebis
I don't get how hurting yourself is badass.
Perhaps you people will thin yourselves down eventually.
Nazeko

awp wrote:

Same here, but the hydrogen bomb my teacher have made is too weak (and it's just inside the test tube). When my classmates tried to burn it with a match, the expected loud BOOOOM!!!! was just a little pop like *plock!*

Your schools are much more exciting. except the fact it can cause evacuation.
Hikaros

Pokebis wrote:

I don't get how hurting yourself is badass.
Perhaps you people will thin yourselves down eventually.
is just fun to see them on fire :D

iMuffin
Ekaru idc what you say we should totally hang out