How to prevent locks and exiles

posted
Total Posts
78
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro

[Taiga] wrote:

spend some of your free time to read every post
and decide whether threads are quality or not. Don't worry, I need to do it too shoutout to Foxtrot

Foxtrot wrote:

a thread that sparked conversation and a lot of pages is how you make a thread that will prevent locks and exiles, folks
Thinking and posting can be chopped into three levels:

  1. Factual
    1. Pretty much bare facts.
  2. Interpretive
    1. Starting to get a bit opinionated here
    2. Involves why you think events happened
  3. Evaluative
    1. Prediction of the future.
    2. Bunch up several theories


Evaluative is the strongest type of thinking here, and is most likely what Taiga is attempting to push us toward.

Of course, once a thread is locked, it's gone. But what the veterans are trying to say is

[Taiga] wrote:

Sole idea of letting threads die is to not force mods to lock them. Thread doesn't need to be locked to die naturally. It's all about people to not bump them. Recognize what is utter shit and let it die, just leave.
So what he is saying is that if you don't want your threads locked, recognize what is trash and let it sink.

Also,

Blitzfrog wrote:

To let a thread die
You don't post in it
Now, feel free to check this compendium out any time. It will hopefully help you recognize what NOT to do.

  1. rooles on h0w 2 git GUD!!!1!!11 - Zekks
    11:55:49P June 9 2017 --- 11:58:40A June 10 2017 = Zekks ExS +1 = 1/3
  2. Dan dan, tatoe, and hime hime but it's all in a thread - Zekks
    04:16:39A June 11 2017 --- 08:51:59P June 11 2017 = Zekks ExS +1 = 2/3
  3. petition - Zekks
    02:57:17P June 11 2017 --- 08:52:51P June 11 2017 = Zekks +1 = Ex'd
  4. Osu steals music from other games - Yuudachi-kun
    09:38:04A June 22 2017 --- 01:12:34P June 22 2017 = Yuudachi-kun ExS +2 = 2/3


To Ephemeral:
yes I know that the threads you locked are shit but the exiled person is NOT fucked as you say. Yet, at least. Who knows... Also Eph, I respect the 3-girl rule but still have questions about it. Deal with it you chickenman on steroids.
To the Veterans:
Yes, I know this is a mouthful but bear with me, also, this is spelt out carefully so, hope you like it.
To the Neophytes:
I'll be the decoy. In other words, continue to shitpost while I become a Veteran. We'll see what is best after what, 3-6 moths or so

Hit me with your criticism, LET'S GO

NOTE: This thread will be bumped at every moment needed.
Hyerim
Do not post
abraker
Regardless of lock or letting it sink, OT denizens interaction would still be same. There is nothing but so called "quality" threads and a few posts in them before it runs dry. You can talk about so much in relation to the thread topic. Currently posting dies down faster than new topics are made, making a suffocating bottleneck.
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro
I see now way how it all will exponentially decay down to zero, unless you were sarcastic
abraker

DJ Enetro wrote:

I see now way how it all will exponentially decay down to zero, unless you were sarcastic
Not being sarcastic. It won't decay to 0, but it wil still be terrible. Just a few threads popping and running dry with the rest that survive just containing same old regulars chatting in ITT2 like threads.
Railey2
if you need a guide to not be exiled you deserve being exiled and should, in fact, be exiled right away.
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro

Railey2 wrote:

if you need a guide to not be exiled you deserve being exiled and should, in fact, be exiled right away.
Really now, let's not jump to conclusions. Sometimes people can't think farther from what they want to see. You're lucky someone is even listening.
The point of this guide is to PREVENT exiles. How is your point valid? Back it up.
Railey2

DJ Enetro wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

if you need a guide to not be exiled you deserve being exiled and should, in fact, be exiled right away.
Really now, let's not jump to conclusions. Sometimes people can't think farther from what they want to see. You're lucky someone is even listening.
The point of this guide is to PREVENT exiles. How is your point valid? Back it up.
everyone who can't even think this far on their own must have a REALLY simple mind and should therefore not be allowed to post threads as they would be equally simple and uninteresting (aka what we call trash).

Also, this thread is a pretty bad guide. No structure whatsoever.
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro

Railey2 wrote:

simple and uninteresting
Why are you taking away their chances to improve? Imo if a thread is trash, just let it die and float into the OT archives
Unless you think that their posts reflect the quality of a thread they might create.

kai99 wrote:

good threads can come with low effort
Railey2
I didn't say anything about their posts. I say:

IF you are so dumb that you need a guide to tell shit apart from stuff that's not shit, THEN you should be exiled because clearly, you're so dumb that nothing good could ever come out of you creating a thread.



I am not taking their chances away.. how did you get that? Because they couldn't post threads anymore? There are other ways to learn. The best method is to wait until you're no longer 12 years old.
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro

Railey2 wrote:

you're so dumb that nothing good could ever come out of you creating a thread.

The best method is to wait until you're no longer 12 years old.
Na, I think learn by experience is the best way, but let's leave it at that.
Railey2
The best way to learn isn't just by getting negative feedback (aka: thread getting locked and everyone flaming you). You need to facilitate a proper understanding of the distinction between shit and non-shit by giving constructive feedback. But who does that? Nobody.
Guides can be good for that, so I suppose you're having the right ideas.

Still, a guide on the topic of "How to not post trash" almost seems like satire to me.

Experience is close to useless if you're too stupid to arrive at valid conclusions on your own. Chances are they'd get it even more wrong the next time around.
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro

Railey2 wrote:

seems like satire
on Eph?
Tae

Railey2 wrote:

if you need a guide to not be exiled you deserve being exiled and should, in fact, be exiled right away.
Yeah... I said in Discord last night that you get two warnings before you're exiled as it is, and that each of these warnings essentially means "you're doing something bad, don't do this again"... but apparently that's not clear enough for people as they try to justify a thread which was just three songs.

---

"People shouldn't be exiled on someone's personal opinion"

Right, so... isn't you saying that also subjective?
Also the fact that the thread in question was utter shit
There's also the fact that someone has to draw the line on what is and isn't okay, though, because otherwise nothing would ever happen :unamused:
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro
Tae it's based on objective points.

I mean just ask in the thread
Ashton
Lets be real here, we made an exile system for a very useless forum that has no meaning excect starting conversations. Usually very meaningless conversations. Yet we have to literally strict users privligages to post? At least put the people who were spamming the threads on "in danger of being exiled" so they can follow rules. Why completely strict their privileges with no warning?? If a threads stupid it'll die on it's own, no need to exile them for just being stupid. If they were stupid and spammed the fucking forum then give them an exile smh. How much more fucked can OT be?
Ephemeral
so start good conversations and there's no problem

in your case however it's more like "participate in conversations until you can be trusted to start your own"
Topic Starter
DJ Enetro

Ephemeral wrote:

"participate in conversations until you can be trusted to start your own"
Quality is almost rarely achieved on the first thread post imo
Ephemeral
disagree, bunch of threads on the front page atm that set out a good groundwork without even trying that hard
[ - Zekks - ]

DJ Enetro wrote:

Quality is almost rarely achieved on the first thread post imo
Your :thinking: thread was the best
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply