forum

need advice/opinion from experienced players.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
izJordy
first of all i'd like to say that i finally joined the 1k pp club, i've made an osu account 9 months ago, tried one map out, didnt like it for some reason then a month ago i decided to play again cuz i saw tyler1 playing it on stream and i enjoyed it and kept playing, ordered tablet etc..
i'm 30 days into the game now and i've finally reached 1k pp!

anyways i'm using a h420 tablet which is very small so most people would use full area but i didnt like it, i've been playing with a very small area of 2 inches wide? maybe 3? and it felt better.. i've been playing with such a small area for a month now and i'm starting to fc 4* and get close to playing 5*, and obv my goal is to be high ranked one day.. so i've done some research, talked to top 100's, watched streams.. and almost every good player uses a large area, even when they use a small one it would still be double the size of mine.. i understand that it is all preference but i'd still appreciate some advice on it, should i stick with the small area? or will i regret it once i'm more experienced and hit 6-7* maps, will it be a disadvantage and very hard to achieve high ranking using such a small area? should i force myself to play a large area and get used to it? what are your opinions on this?

don't be a dick, just looking for advice o/
Sandy Hoey
I am not going to tell you to change your playstyle because it is still possible to do well with a smaller play area. However, the larger the play area that you can handle, the easier it will be to aim. Think of it this way. The large the play area, the bigger the area on the tablet that correlates to the circle. That is why high level players use larger areas, because when you turn on HR or have small circles, you take ever little advantage you can get
Topic Starter
izJordy

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I am not going to tell you to change your playstyle because it is still possible to do well with a smaller play area. However, the larger the play area that you can handle, the easier it will be to aim. Think of it this way. The large the play area, the bigger the area on the tablet that correlates to the circle. That is why high level players use larger areas, because when you turn on HR or have small circles, you take ever little advantage you can get
i guess that makes sense, but it is so uncomfortable moving my whole arm, i feel very slow and it just doesnt feel right, having to use just my fingers to move the pen feels so much better, but if its gonna be an issue using such a small area once playing 7* and being 4 digits then i guess i'll force myself to learn a larger one
Jukkii
Your body can also learn muscle memory better with a larger area. Think of it like this, the more noticeable the movement, the more noticeable the muscle memory exceptions apply. Too big of an area is just bad, but you should use the biggest area you can be comfortable with. This means being comfortable with it in around 0.5-2 hours. It can take some time to find. Start out with full area and go slowly down and once you find a comfortable area learn that one. I also use a huion 420 and i use full area. Its super small to begin with so full area is small compared to the full area of a wacom tablrt
Topic Starter
izJordy

-Jukke- wrote:

Your body can also learn muscle memory better with a larger area. Think of it like this, the more noticeable the movement, the more noticeable the muscle memory exceptions apply. Too big of an area is just bad, but you should use the biggest area you can be comfortable with. This means being comfortable with it in around 0.5-2 hours. It can take some time to find. Start out with full area and go slowly down and once you find a comfortable area learn that one. I also use a huion 420 and i use full area. Its super small to begin with so full area is small compared to the full area of a wacom tablrt
i appreciate that advice, i'm using a h420 aswell and honestly its just so weird and difficult having to move ur arm to hit jumps etc, for example u gotta go from top corner to bottom corner, u gotta make such a big movement with ur arm to hit that, with a small area its just moving my fingers an inch or so.. it feels so much better and easier, this is the area i'm using on the 420, http://prntscr.com/evzn51 this is what works best for me i guess but i only play 4* since i'm pretty new to this game, so do you recommend me learning a larger area? even tho i suck with it and it feels so much more complex? or is it ok to stick with something that small?
Kyumaru_old
I ordered a wacom tablet yesterday, but so far i've been using a Huion420 as well.

Try this. The tablet works this way with osu, so that's a neat thing. Set the area to full area in the tablets drivers and play around with the sensitivity in game. Enable raw input as well. Basically it does the same as making your area smaller in the driver. Personally, i am using a sensitivity of 1.12 up to 1.15 on full screen resolution 1920x1080. It's just the right amount of speed vs. being comfortable to play with. Try it out, maybe it will also work for you.
Topic Starter
izJordy
i made a quick video of me using my tablet so you can tell the size of it, i been playing for a month, i'm trash, i can't stream, ignore gameplay ;D