forum

Tablet feels sluggish compared to mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
Yo. Recently started playing tablet alongside mouse and I'm trying to improve as quickly as I can, so that I can get back to playing as well as before.
I play basically exclusively on hidden, so that applies to basically everything I'll mention here.
On mouse, the highest star map I managed to pass was ~6 stars, and on average my comfortable clearing difficulty is probably between 5 and 5.3 stars.
I'm basically just a little bit behind that with tablet so far, being able to almost pass 5+ stars with relative comfort.

The main problem I'm having, though, is that between the two playstyles, I'm finding that playing with tablet feels more input-laggy.
By which I mean, with mouse I can reasonably get to a note exactly when I intend to, while with tablet something goes wrong and I'm there a fraction of a second late. This makes the gameplay feel kinda gross and sluggish, honestly.

I'm not entirely sure if it's something entirely in my head or an actual hardware/software issue. It's mostly just annoying, but I think it's actually causing gameplay issues, as I can't make jumps fast enough with the delay I'm feeling, etc. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks friends.
Sandy Hoey
What tablet do you have. Do you have the appropriate driver? Is the driver updated?
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
CTL-480, updated to (i think the most recent) driver 6.3.20-7, also installed fix my pen
Sandy Hoey
I don't know which driver it is exactly, but the reason that there is some input lag is because the driver is smoothing out the movement, removing the shakiness. There are drivers for the CTL-480 that don't have that, dont know what they are though because I don't own one. But you can search one up, or someone will probably come along and post it for you
SlowLogicBoy

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I don't know which driver it is exactly, but the reason that there is some input lag is because the driver is smoothing out the movement, removing the shakiness. There are drivers for the CTL-480 that don't have that, dont know what they are though because I don't own one. But you can search one up, or someone will probably come along and post it for you
Rohulk -> Playstyle and stuff
Tablet&Pen: Wacom Intuos pen Small (Ctl 480) Driver: 6.3.9w5
Download driver & Fix my pen, open fixmypen and click 'make everything good', then close.
Other:
Go to run->services.msc. If Windows 7, find Tablet PC Input Service. If Windows 8, find Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. Right click it, click properties. There press the stop icon. Then startup type change to disabled. Then go to the recovery tab and set all three failure settings to take no action. (This improves responsiveness)
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
Nice, that made a huge difference! Feels super smooth in comparison to before. Thank you!
I'm still having some trouble making huge jumps/short jumps in really small time differences, would it be advisable to lower my tablet area further or try to practice until it's more comfortable to do with the same area?
My area is 3 x 1.69 inches, as a reference.
Topic Starter
Bomberdude
Also, one thing I'm noticing is that when my pen is too far from the tablet, the cursor starts shaking wildly. Is there a general solution to that, other than "hold the pen close enough"?
I Give Up
No you need the pen close enough to get accurate signal otherwise cursor will jitter.