forum

Lights Out

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
anonymous_old
I came up with this idea around a month ago whilst messing around with the flashlight cursors. Basically, whenever a person clicks and holds the mouse button down on a slider, the entire screen turns black and all you see are the cursor, the ball that rolls along the slider, and the slider follow circle. Then once the slider is completed, everything becomes visible again.

You can watch a video clip of the Lights Out feature at the link below. :)

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... outnn6.flv

So why am I requesting this feature for Osu! when I already have it? The simple answer is that there are limitations/problems with my version of it. The image I used for this needs to be at a very high resolution of 4096x4096, and even then, it will only work properly with large to medium sized hit circles & sliders. If the circle size is seven or above in the editor, then you will see the edges of the image as the sliderfollowcircle image moves along the slider. And it doesn't matter what resolution I set the image to, the edges of the image are ALWAYS visible when using it with small hit circle sizes due to the resizing of the image.
fdtoonsman
That's cool! It could be called Osu Flashlight or something.
Rolled

fdtoonsman wrote:

This mod is already in the works. Test build has it atm, you might have it next public release.

As for your idea adam I really like it. Better than the current flash light mod, actually. I hope it is considered.
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

fdtoonsman wrote:

peppy wrote:

2008-08-14
(+) Added new mod "Flashlight", based off adamskii_uk's concept (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4804).
The flashlight cursor is a separate feature to the Lights Out, I just thought it looked cool with them both combined. I already released the flashlight cursor skin packs around a month ago in the thread linked below. Also, like Rolled mentioned in the post above, peppy has added a flashlight cursor feature to the MODs selection screen in the test build of Osu!, although I have yet to see what this looks like compared to my skin packs.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4804

Rolled wrote:

As for your idea adam I really like it. Better than the current flash light mod, actually. I hope it is considered.
Thanks. I like it too. :)
peppy
Might as well add this to flashlight mode and increase the multiplier, I guess :P.

adamskii_uk

peppy wrote:

Might as well add this to flashlight mode and increase the multiplier, I guess :P.
Sounds like a good plan to me. IMO, I think the Lights Out feature looks a lot better with a flashlight, than without. ;) :D
Echo
With this, it really is flashlight :P
peppy
Also @adam: I only plan on having a single level of flaslight radius. I don't really feel the need for multiple sizes, and it also makes it harder to incorporate into the mod selection screen etc. if there is more than one size. I think it should be sufficient, unless there is a huge demand for more.
adamskii_uk
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
adamskii_uk
Although I'm pleased that the flashlight mod was added to Osu!, the lights out feature that I requested isn't quite how I imagined it to be. The whole point of the "lights out" feature was that you can't see the sliders AT ALL whilst doing them. All that should be visible is a ball/object that moves along the slider, and the slider follow circle that surrounds the ball. Watch the video on my first post to see what I mean.

When I came up with the concept of the lights out feature, the whole idea was for it to work like the following flash game, where you have to keep the cursor within the object that moves around the screen, and you don't know where it's going to go next.

http://www.2flashgames.com/f/f-1353.htm

But, the way the lights out feature has been added to the flashlight, it doesn't make sliders much more difficult than what they would be if the feature was never added, since you can still see them.
Gemi
Changing the lights out to be like you want to would encourage learning the maps by heart. I don't like it when games do that too much, and even the current flashlight is a bit of a border case for me.
adamskii_uk

Gemi wrote:

Changing the lights out to be like you want to would encourage learning the maps by heart.
Not at all. :)

I played with my lights out skin for almost a month before requesting this feature on the forum. I managed to do well with the lights out skin on beatmaps I never played before. I admit, I wasn't perfect, but I certainly didn't need to memorize the sliders on a beatmap to be able to follow the ball on the screen.

If a persons reaction time is low enough then they will be more than capable at following an object on the screen. After all, people who regularly play first person shooters like Unreal Tournament and Quake III, keep the cursor on their opponents all of the time, as they, and their opponents move and jump around on the screen. And since this mod is mainly aimed towards experienced Osu! players anyway (because it's a difficult mod to use), I think the players who would use it would have a low enough reaction time to cope with following an object on the screen, without seeing where it is going to.
peppy
I added some ambient light on lights out because it was too hard without it. Not going to change this, sorry.
adamskii_uk

peppy wrote:

I added some ambient light on lights out because it was too hard without it. Not going to change this, sorry.
The reason why it is too difficult with no ambient lighting is because of the fade in effect when the flashlight comes back on after completing a slider. By the time the flashlight has come back on, we would have already lost some time on reacting to the next next hit circle or slider. A solution to this would be to start fading in the flashlight just before the end of a slider, then we would have enough time to see what is coming up next. :)

EDIT: I have come up with another idea for the sliders, peppy. You could leave the flashlight on at full brightness, and make the sliders 100% transparent. A ball could be placed at the start of a slider, and the ball would then roll across the screen in the direction determined by the invisible slider, and then fall down a hole which would be at the end of a slider. For sliders that have arrows on them, the hole could appear out of nowhere, on the last pass of the slider.

Since the flashlight wouldn't be turned off whilst following the ball with the cursor, we would have no problems at all reacting to the hit circles and sliders that follow it. :)