Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ph0X
aka Realistic popcorn cooking simulator
aka Futuristic chair spinning simulator
aka Pinball/AirHockey/Pool arcade
aka Authentic bathroom emulator
aka tits and sex jokes everywhere

and with some shitty shooting, horrible voice acting and silly jumping animation on the side.

Honestly, this is the most fun I've had with a full price game since.... Mirror's Edge probably which was almost 3 years ago.
Well that's without counting portal2.

Really though, remove the shooting and it's GOTY for me.
again without counting portal2.

Since there was no official thread and I'm amazing at making official threads, here it is.
Rantai
Any good quotes I should know of?
mm201
My old rig is running into threading issues with it causing near-hangs at the most inopportune moments. I might have a better impression once I give it a try on my laptop.
So far, it seems more linear than I'd like. The whimsical gameplay elements were a nice touch, and very Duke, and the humour is just about right.
Loginer
Almost done with the game. The minigames are entertaining, and so are a few of Mini Duke's one-liners. Practically everything else is shit.

If Gearbox decide to make another Duke Nukem game, it should be an open world sandbox with minigames everywhere.
Ivalset
Game looked absolutely awful.

Glad it finally came out though.
Topic Starter
Ph0X

Loginer wrote:

Almost done with the game. The minigames are entertaining, and so are a few of Mini Duke's one-liners. Practically everything else is shit.

If Gearbox decide to make another Duke Nukem game, it should be an open world sandbox with minigames everywhere.
Amen.
awp
Their efforts to adapt it to modern shooters was a terrible idea, because modern shooters are shit. The Half Life games are good, but the Half Life games also aren't modern. That goes for Bioshock, too, now that I think about it.

So DNF isn't as good as Duke 3D, but it's still a fun game. I'm staying up until 2 am on work nights playing it, because it's still fun. Duke was never the cutting edge of humour (KTIT, K Tit. Bringing you the breast - uh, best music in town) but it was laughable in that pathetic, pop-culture grabbing sense. So it's still a funny game. But Duke Nukem was never really about humour, it was about stupid, brainless fun.

And it still is...just slightly less so. The concept of an ego bar was a great touch, and it's fun to find ways to boost Duke's ego. But why get rid of health packs? Not just Duke Nukem games, but FPS games in general. Someone, somewhere along the line, decided it would be a good idea to take a core gameplay element out of the genre, removing additional levels of depth to the games, effectively making it a simple trek from A to B. Without health, there's no reason to be tactical in battle, and there's no reason to explore the world, especially with the added two weapon limit. Almost all of the weapons in Duke3D were ideal for handling specific situations, so seeking out all the A SECRET PLACE!s had value. You don't just use the Shotgun or the Devastator for everything, because some guns were better for certain enemies/situations. With DNF adapting to the backwards movement of modern FPS, that's gone from the formula. If they stuck to what made Duke3D so great, DNF would have been a lot better.

But despite shit-staining DNF by making it more like Call of Duty/Gears of War/Halo/Uncharted, there's still enough traces of Duke3D to make it completely enjoyable. It's just sad to think how much better it would have been if they modernized (downgraded) it less.
Remco32
This game would be so much better with more exploration and a lot less linearity.
Pokebis
I played it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Looks like they're planning for sequels. Hopefully they have more time to polish it.
awp
Pokebis
I couldn't pick up the beer because I never used my beer except in the tutorial.
awp

I'm all set for the finale of Duke Nukem Forever.
Remco32

awp wrote:

I'm all set for the finale of Duke Nukem Forever.
Did that Duke Burger bag came with the game or did you make it yourself?
awp
That shit's home made, bro
Mizore-_old
Wasn't the game half finished? :|
Dieathan
I find it ironic how a game that has been in development hell for 14 years feels so rushed to about everyone who's played it. Duke's really the only good part of it as far as I can tell. Rest of it so far is rather bland and forgettable. But yet again it was rebuilt from the ground up over and over...wonder if it would've been better if it came out about 2000-2005.
awp

Dieathan wrote:

...wonder if it would've been better if it came out about 2000-2005.
Have you seen the 2001 trailer? The game looked AMAZING back then.
Loginer
It looked just like the finished game does, except with boats instead of monster trucks. The more "cinematic" look is owed to the fact that the entire trailer was a scripted mockup.

Compare it to the last trailer made by 3D Realms/Triptych. The game was always bad; they just had a real knack for making good trailers.