forum

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
D33d
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 10 September 2022 at 19:08:23

Artist: Aphex Twin
Title: Windowlicker
Tags: AFX Deed Ghetto Trance IDM Braindance Electronic
BPM: 123
Filesize: 18922kb
Play Time: 03:48
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.8 stars, 201 notes)
  2. Hard (2.92 stars, 384 notes)
  3. Insane (3.85 stars, 488 notes)
  4. Normal (2.44 stars, 296 notes)
  5. Timing445 (0 stars, 0 notes)
Download: Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Download: Aphex Twin - Windowlicker (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
There is a lot of heavily sexual and disturbing imagery in this map's video. Having said that, if you've stumbled upon this map, then you know what to expect from AFX.

It also goes without saying that this map will have some funky rhythms in it. For the most part, it's quite straight, but watch those approach circles!
Jarby
I don't think that this song is a good choice for kiai time. No section really stands out enough to deserve it and it ends up looking a bit overdone. The timing of this song is still scaring me, but I can tell you that the offset 51252 is at least 20ms early.

Hard:

00:22:987 (7) - Falls off screen quite a bit. It would be easiest for you just to raise the whole pattern up.
00:24:938 (2) - Remove the clap from the end of this because the pattern in the song ends in a different percussion sound. That's a good enough explanation, right?
00:35:426 (6) - Put a new combo here for the sake of reducing combo length.
00:38:597 (1) - Remove the clap from the end of this for the previously established reason.
00:42:255 (3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - For this, I would make all of these objects claps and use multiple inherited timing sections to lower their volume as they go.
01:57:105 - Drag the break beginning here 1/1 forward so that it lands on the main beat. Not a necessity, but it makes for a nice effect with the timing of the letterboxing and everything.
02:07:867 (2) - Remove the clap from the end of this for the previously established reason.
02:30:764 (1) - It would make more sense to extend this 1/1 so it lands (vaguely) on something in the song instead of silence.
02:32:715 - Quite an unnecessarily long break. Please continue mapping from 02:38:650.
03:02:902 (1) - Add a clap to the end of this for a previously unestablished reason.
03:19:371 (3) - Looks a bit messy with the overlapping right now. I'd just distance snap it to the bottom left so that it forms a triangle with the previous two objects.
03:40:724 (4) - Way too big of a dick move here. This would be covered up by the score burst things of the previous objects as well as the objects themselves. Please at least change the direction if not the position of this slider.
03:48:450 (1) - Perhaps use an inherited section to reduce the volume since there is no real clear cutoff point here for that note.

Insane:

00:36:619 (3,4) - I'm sorry, this is really minor, but it's slightly off. Ctrl+H, go.
00:39:546 (3) - One grid to the left, why do you make me do this :(
00:42:473 (3,4,5,6,7,8) - For this, I would make all of these objects claps and use multiple inherited timing sections to lower their volume as they go.
00:49:815 (1,1,1) - And I would keep this all within the same combo because there is nothing distinct really seperating them.
01:06:861 (1,1,1,1) - These too.
01:10:764 (1,1,1,2) - And these. Frankly, it just bugs me that HP drain gets screwed over as a result of arranging combos like that. Do the rest on the repeat as well, should be clear to you.
01:19:544 (1,2) - I feel that this quite an unwarranted jump.
01:36:617 (1) - Ctrl+H, yes. You go move that left some more for symmetrical goodness. Also, remove new combo because of everything I said earlier.
01:37:593 (3) - I would put this on a new combo because it's both quite a big jump and quite an unexpected and silly little thing in the song that's out of place.
01:46:861 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3) - I don't think the spacing increase really works well. May as well stay the same as it is in the previous combo.
01:50:276 (1,1) - Remove new combos, they're within the same phrase etc
01:57:105 - Drag the break beginning here 1/1 forward so that it lands on the main beat. Not a necessity, but it makes for a nice effect with the timing of the letterboxing and everything.
02:05:886 (2,3) - It'd be a good idea to double the spacing here. I think it's a bit confusing with the way it is because despite the slider end being on the left, nobody is going to actually follow the sliderball here, they're just going to keep the cursor in the center, right? So it makes the upcoming object seem a bit misleading.
02:09:788 (1) - Removing new combo business once more.
02:17:105 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - This is failing to be symmetrical in a way that grid level 4 is not precise enough to fix. I find that hilarious. Please don't bother changing it.
02:18:325 (10) - I would put a new combo here if only for the length of the previous pattern.
02:30:764 (1) - It would make more sense to extend this 1/1 so it lands (vaguely) on something in the song instead of silence.
02:32:715 - Quite an unnecessarily long break. Please continue mapping from 02:38:650.
02:55:074 (1) - Remove new combo, ah, I hate saying this so simply.
03:03:381 (1,2,1) - Love these, just saying.
03:12:406 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - You could do some cool new combo trickery here and have something like this going on.
03:32:310 (9) - Considering the length, I would put a new combo here too.
03:45:937 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - I don't really like the spacing decrease here. I'd like it more if the pitch were going down in all of the notes in the song there, but they aren't, so it isn't such a great idea I think.
03:48:450 (1) - I'd remove the finish here and perhaps use an inherited section to reduce the volume since there is no real clear cutoff point here for that note.
Topic Starter
D33d
Looks like a bunch of easy fixes! Thanks for the input, man. <3

I'll get right onto it when I'm home tomorrow.

DEEDIT: I've been home from my gig, so I've decided to change the everloving phluck out of this map, in accordance to almost every one of your points. I've changed the timing of the section that you'd mentioned by 20ms, but I can't yet listen in order to check it. I'll map a bit more of the track and possibly some more, now that the Kiai timings are gone. However, I would prefer to continue to map after the French sound bite, as I feel that there should still be a nice break. I'll either do that or map where the tune kicks in for a few bars.

Also, if I get these timings just right, then I swear that this deserves to be bubbled. D:

Also, I've changed the little tapdance to this and the [Insane] ending to this. Hells yeah.
Ijah_old
Topic Starter
D33d

Ijah wrote:

Firo Prochainezo
Wow, this is a pretty good map. Good job! :)

Edit = 02:41:556 (2,3) - Uh? Is this even rankable? Not to nag you or anything, but it doesn't seem rankable to me.
Topic Starter
D33d
Thank you! Let me go and check that. If it's what I think that you mean, then I'd made it less obnoxious initially, but I'd experimented with crazy leaps.

Ah, an entirely different section. It does look pretty scary, but at the same time pretty neat and original in my opinion. I had the intention of making it a straight slider, before realising that I needed an extra 1/4. I've been considering changing it to a three-pronged [ shape or something to that effect, but anything would obviously work, as the slider'll begin and end in the same place.

DEEDIT: I've changed that section after all, to something altogether more satisfying, legible and symmetrical. I've effectively created a slider pattern which doubles back on itself. I think that it's quite nice.

Firo Prochainezo
Oh, thank you for taking that into consideration and kudosu. :)

Edit = Remove Aphex Twin and Windowlicker from the tags since they already in the title. No kudosu.
NotShinta
General:
The background doesn't really make sense without the rest of the context. It could just be any pair of fake breasts with man arms.
I'm not sure tick rate 2 should actually be used here, due to the switching of 1/4 and 1/3. Don't just trust me though.
Adding on to what Firo pointed out above, you also don't need D33d. Or even parody, as it doesn't directly parody anything, really.
I find your general break placement quite odd, especially at 02:50:337, for example. Other breaks could use 1/1 lead-ins, like the one you've used.
00:59:076 (1) - This spinner feels so useless, duh you, you could just put it out of its misery.
03:48:464 (1) - And this one could be extended by 1/2 to nicely end on a white tick.

Insane:
00:26:531 (3) - This doesn't seem to follow anything obvious, and I think this being different would make the next 2 sliders more effective.
01:36:150 (1,2) - I think these are possibly a strange start to the break. Perhaps just let 01:37:613 (5) - start it? (Same for the other difficulties for consistency, if so)
01:42:735 (2) - I don't like how this increased-then-decreased spacing feels. You could just flip 4, I think that jump plays better.
02:17:125 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - This fits with neither the song nor the feeling I get from it at this point.
02:27:857 (1,2,3,1) - Odd spacing here, very confusing.
02:34:930 - This break is missing in all other difficulties other than Easy, so you may as well be rid of it here. I don't think drain's too mean for it.
02:42:532 (4) - I believe this is unrankable anyway, as the slider is completely covered up by the previous one. :(.
03:13:035 (2) - I like your thinking here, but I'd say this is a bit too cruel of spacing.
03:26:204 (3,4) - Yeah, I keep tapping 3 1/4 earlier needlessly~
03:41:060 (4) - Once again, avoidable anti-jump.

Hard:
00:22:385 (4,5,6,7) - You might want to move this down a few grids so it overlaps less with the HP bar.
02:04:930 (2) - Remove this slider whistle, please. It feels kind of weird for you to suddenly start using them so much.
02:07:369 (1) - Add a finish?
02:29:320 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - Could just move this a grid4 grid right for symmetry. I don't even understand myself sometimes
03:38:867 (4,5,6) - Not a great fan of variable stacks, me, so you could just space 6 away~

Normal:
00:33:727 (2) - I don't particularly like this. Shortening it by 1/2 and adding another repeat seems more natural.
01:57:613 - Break drag to here, like the other difficulties. And it fits whee
02:30:784 (1) - I'd replace the clap with the whistle. Turn the volume on the end down via an inherited section while you're at it.
02:40:093 (4) - It's probably my fault for having listened to this song all the time last year, but I click this 1/4 earlier. I don't think Normal players would be scared of well-spaced offbeat notes, either, really.

Easy:
00:32:019 (2) - You could remove this so the rest of the stack goes to the something (+similar) I'm tired with a headache and it's probably Richard's fault so I can't remember words like loquacious
00:42:464 (2) - I'd prefer it if you didn't keep circles under sliderends in an Easy.
00:46:879 (4) - Easy players may not see the repeat in time, ayup.
00:59:076 (1) - I already suggested you remove this and stand by that, but if you keep it, it isn't the same length as the others in other difficulties!. Less than three.
01:53:467 (4) - mnbvcxz (+others)
02:38:589 - You could drag this break to here. I think you should, actually. Do it bitch you're more slutty than Danzai
03:11:914 (4) - Could, like, space this away for consistent stacks

I'm also acknowledging there are some stacking issues that are up to you if you want to fix them. I'm too tired arh j’aime faire des croquettes au chien.
Topic Starter
D33d
Thanks for the reply. I will smother you in all of the one Kudosu that I can give you, because I can see what you're getting at without looking at the map.

Okay, you know the reasoning behind the map's background. For those who don't know, 'Windowlicker' was released as a single and its cover is this:

I'd asked Jarby if including the head would be a better idea, but he'd said that it'd probably be too much. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind that, as the entire video is "a bit much" and then some.

Some of your points are issues which I was considering addressing anyway. Also, I'd raised the start of [Hard] because, as Jarby had pointed out, it was falling off the screen. However, I should've noticed it going too far in the other direction. Rejig go!

Sweet!

DEEDIT: Shinta, I've addressed most of your points. Also, yes I am a bigger slut than Danzai. Luckily, he's not here any more, so this board won't collapse into a slutularity.

Points which I haven't followed are as follows:

00:26:531 (3) - This doesn't seem to follow anything obvious, and I think this being different would make the next 2 sliders more effective.
I would, but I think that the first slider follows into the next two fairly well. Plus, it looks pretty. :3

Eh; I can't think of what else to do with this off the top of my head, without making it look fugly. I'll leave it as it is for now.

02:17:125 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - This fits with neither the song nor the feeling I get from it at this point.
I'll probably change this at some point, but I'd felt that having straight 1/2s wouldn't feel right. Furthermore, I want a keep a pentagon here and the reverberating tone... I dunno. I feel like the density here complements the density of the tone, but I really can't think of what else to do with this. I'll probably just make a bigger pentagon or something.

03:26:204 (3,4) - Yeah, I keep tapping 3 1/4 earlier needlessly~
I'm not following you 100% on this, but I'll probably figure out a way of making the spacing more consistent, without making this look disgusting. Also, the sudden leap's supposed to complement the harshness of that tone, along with the harsh combination of a clap and whistle.

03:38:867 (4,5,6) - Not a great fan of variable stacks, me, so you could just space 6 away~
Left this untouched for now, because I don't want to muck up this section.

00:42:464 (2) - I'd prefer it if you didn't keep circles under sliderends in an Easy.
Eh; I've left this for now, as I don't want to spoilt the symmetry. I insist on prioritising playability over aesthetics, but I don't think that this cripples the playability and it'd become incredibly awkward to make this flow into the next section if I change it too much.

--

Re: Stacking issues in general: I'll have a look at the stacking at some point, but I feel okay about the alternating stacking timings. They seem readable enough to me. If more people have a look at this, then I'll see what they say.
dNextGen
star for aphex twin
Jarby

D33d wrote:

I'd asked Jarby if including the head would be a better idea, but he'd said that it'd probably be too much. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind that, as the entire video is "a bit much" and then some.
What I meant was that you wouldn't be able to have the entire face and breasts properly on display while keeping it in 4:3. I find the misleading breasts to be more funny anyway.
Topic Starter
D33d

Jarby wrote:

D33d wrote:

What I meant was that you wouldn't be able to have the entire face and breasts properly on display while keeping it in 4:3. I find the misleading breasts to be more funny anyway.
Ah, good point. It is quite a hilarious thumbnail, for which I can only applaud you.

Thanks for the star, dNextGen! I feel like there's a niche for AFX tracks in this community, but the only other map for this is an extremely lame Normal. Kind of depressing.
Kotya
lazy mod4mod

All Diffs

00:55:174 - 00:59:076 - 01:02:979 - you have 3 unused sections there, remove them? D:

Easy

why so much overlapping in easy D:
i'm too lazy to link all of them, just check the map once more .w.

Normal

Same as in Easy ^
01:53:467 (2,3) - spacing
03:42:523 (6,7) - :|

Hard

good (:

Insane

03:19:375 (1) - stack with a previous note?
03:31:306 (5,6,7,8) - stack or http://puu.sh/3Jw5 D:

Star ~
laport
Brilliant track this

insane
03:28:643 (1) - remove this spinner? 8-)
star
Topic Starter
D33d
Thank you, Kotya and laport!

Kotya, I'll have a look at your specifics now. I don't think that I'll worry about the overlapping, even though I should by the principle that I dislike ugly overlaps. It could mean tearing up entire sections, which would be a nightmare to sort out.
superoven
So, I've had this chart for a while now and decided to replay it just now. Its much better than I remember... worthy of a star now. So here you go....

Or I take that back, it appears that osu won't allow me to give stars right now. Welp. Lovely chart anyway and I hope this gets ranked.
Topic Starter
D33d
Stars can't be given by users any more. Gonna have to mod some maps to earn kudosu! Ahaha! :(
theowest
too long did not read.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Topic Starter
D33d
What the fuck kind of response was that? Is it in regards to the mapset? Did you get bored while playing it? Were you trying to peruse the thread? I'm flummoxed.
theowest

D33d wrote:

What the fuck kind of response was that? Is it in regards to the mapset? Did you get bored while playing it? Were you trying to peruse the thread? I'm flummoxed.
no, chill out. it is awesome. i just came here to show my appreciation.. o__O
Topic Starter
D33d
Don't worry, dude. I was being extravagant for comic effect.

I guess that I was also feeling a bit flustered, but that didn't really come into it. Thanks man. :D
Jarby
Change the 209,843 offset TO 209,873 and resnap (it's easier to do this by dragging the series of objects here into the right place than to resnap conventionally because of the mix of 1/4 and 1/3 throughout the map. You don't want to have to deal with that mess.)
02:34:686 - BREAK OR I BREAK YOU. Really, that sort of drain section is just a bit mean.

Easy:

01:57:125 - Please drag that prebreak thing 1/1 forward.
02:06:393 (1) - Remove new combo. Pretty redundant.
02:34:686 - That is one excessively long break. May as well let it play out like the other difficulties.
03:01:683 (1,2,1) - Sort of cluttered. Try rearranging this a bit more.
OH SHIT

Normal:

00:54:686 - Please drag that prebreak thing 1/1 forward.
Topic Starter
D33d
All done. Apparently, a lot of the timings and snappings had been messed up in some way. This annoys me.

Also, I remember somebody telling me that those breaks which'd created weren't really necessary.

SHINTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Jarby
All is in order. Please don't let the timing scare you, future BAT.
gyt
Aphex Twin Windowlicker D33d - why you need all these tags?

Also Easy diff doesn't contain any tags. Haha, I popped a bubble

map and song are really strange so I can't write many suggestions but...

first two breaks are too close and big for me. Well, break placement is weird and some people said it already

[Easy]
00:26:410 (2,3,4,5) - I don't really know, but such placement may be confusing for noobs
(00:33:239 (1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5) - this multi-overlap too, but whatever)
02:29:320 (1,2,3) - line up this?
02:44:971 (2,4) - you need to avoid such things in easy.
03:03:621 (1,1,2) - hm, someone can press (2) instead of (1), imo
03:25:717 (1) - unexpected repeating slider, because reverse arrow is hidden a bit
03:39:629 (1,2,3,1,2) - oh shit, this pattern is too confusing for easy, I think
00:46:879 (4,1,2,3) - add some hitsounds?

[Normal]
00:47:367 (4,1,2,3,4,1) - add some hitsounds? (other diffs too)
02:47:898 (2) - move to blue tick [02:47:776]? you use it on 02:39:971 (4) - so it's a bit inconsistent
02:49:361 (1) - remove new combo? weird
03:30:360 (1,2) - can be confusing, imo

[Hard]
00:29:824 (1,1,2,3,1) - odd combo changes. Well, you use it a lot in this diff. I can only say "too many new combos" [I mean this - 01:06:393 (1,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,1)]
in general this diff is nice

Insane
I can't mod this, too hard. autoplay tells me it's ok
Topic Starter
D33d
Thanks for the tip regarding the tags. I'll see what I can do re: your mod. I'll have a good look at the clusters in [Easy] and the use of combos in [Hard] in particular.

DEEDIT: Changed the tags in all difficulties. That alone warrants kudosu. I feel slightly douchey in that I haven't yet paid much attention to your 'Footloose' mod, but I will give that a good look.

DEEDENDUM: I've decided that I'm going to remap all of the first section of [Easy], as I am unhappy with a lot of it. I will keep a copy of the current version, in case this goes arse over tits. Too many stacks, short sliders and overlapping streams for me to simply shuffle things around. Done. I might remap other large sections later.

Redone the end of [Easy], so that it's less confusing and hideous. I might change some more of it, but for the most part, there should now be nothing unrankable in this difficulty (unless stacks aren't regarded as valid either).
Charles445
Well, that bubble pretty much proves me wrong.
Good luck on rank.
Topic Starter
D33d

Charles445 wrote:

Well, that bubble pretty much proves me wrong.
Good luck on rank.
Haha; thanks. By the looks of things, the bubble was perhaps a little bit hasty--gyt had popped it within less than a day. However, as I've said, I've fixed up a lot of [Easy]. As long as there isn't a problem with the timings, then this should be good to go.
SapphireGhost
[General]
- Remove letterboxing during breaks due to video.
- Make sure your drag breaks are snapped.

[Insone]
02:07:857 (2,3,4,1) - Spacing is very odd here. I don't think this is a very good idea, sir. Try regulating it somewhat.
03:18:400 (3) - Not sure about this slider. Might be too short and not a good idea.

[Herd]
01:37:613 (1) - I like how this is trollishly slightly off-center. But no.
01:43:223 (2,3,4) - And I wonder how, I wonder why.
03:44:474 (1) - Condom combo might not be necessary here.

Due to the nature of modding multiple difficulties, I've watched this video twice already and it's starting to get to me.
Due to the nature of modding multiple difficulties, I've watched this video twice already and it's starting to get to me.

[Narmal]
02:14:198 (3) - Would look better if it didn't overlap with the HP bar.

[Lanttu's Calm]
00:42:951 (2) - Yeah, the whole "Don't use kicksliders on [Easy] because it's confusing" thing applies here.
Topic Starter
D33d
Okay, I've changed everything and then some. I hope that things are cool now, Sappha!
SapphireGhost
Fixes and stuff.
- Epilepsy warning removed.
- Unsnapped notes on [Easy], [Normal], and [Hard] snapped.
- Difficulties edited to have consistent end times.
- Spinner recovery time added on [Easy].
- Break drags snapped.

Jarby wrote:

All is in order. Please don't let the timing THE ENTIRE MAP scare you, future BAT.
Bubbled!
Topic Starter
D33d
This calls for a celebratory image macro of some description, but I'm a bit tied up in an assignment on MIDI.

YAY!
Jarby

D33d wrote:

This calls for a celebratory image macro of some description
Raging Bull
I'll give it a check tomorrow or day after might be busy tomorrow.
Topic Starter
D33d

Raging Bull wrote:

I'll give it a check tomorrow or day after might be busy tomorrow.
Sweet. Thanks, man. Like I said, I'll be a bit busy, at least until tomorrow, so I'll try to mod your map (if I find much) by the end of the week.
show more