forum

good PSP games

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
niedz
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
If you're getting a PSP I highly recommend installing CFW on it, even if you plan to buy games. The PSP has great non-PSP game support (from what I understand NES SNES and PSX, as well as some PC games that've been ported) and actual legit PSP games still play better on a memory stick than a UMD (I have both legit and ISO of Disgaea, for example).

Unfortunately the PSP doesn't have as good a library as the DS. I've only played four PSP games to date, but I've enjoyed every one of them quite a bit:

Me and My Katamari - it's a Katamari game - exactly what you'd expect from its PS2 counterparts.
God of War - Not quite as amazing or brutal as God of War 1 and 2 on the PS2, but essentially the same thing.
FFVII: Crisis Core - it took me maybe 6 hours to get into it, but once I did, I really got into it. This game can be pretty frustrating, but makes up for it with fun.
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - If you like SRPGs and have never played Disgaea, do not pass this game up. If you liked Disgaea, get it anyway and run through Etna mode, at times it's even funnier than the regular game (albeit about a third of the length of the main story). Also other new features, Adell and others make an appearance, blah blah blah.

I'm looking forward to Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, but don't have my grubby paws on it yet. Also, if Crisis Core is any indication, KH on PSP will be as true-to-the-series a game as God of War was. The PSP isn't quite as powerful as the PS2, but damn it's close.
Detective Tuesday
Indeed, you'll definitely wanna invest in a Pandora Battery or figure out how to make one. Half of the PSPs potential is only realized on CFW.

Good PSP games, hmm. For sure they're a bit harder to find than good DS games, but they exist for sure. A couple I've played...

Megaman: Powered Up is good for a play through especially if you're a fan of the series. The level editor is also fantastic, and it doesn't restrict you to things that were only in the 1st game. Several enemies from later in the series are available, as well as time bomb platforms and other things. Extra playable characters are a nice addition too, for sure.

DJMAX Portable 2 is a great BeatMania clone, although the difficulty of the charts isn't over-the-top. Look up a couple of videos on YouTube if you get a chance.

Tekken: Dark Resurrection is about as good as arcade fighters get on any Handheld system. I would say Guilty Gear XX Slash is the best arcade fighter on the PSP, but since Accent Core is already out in arcades and home consoles, it has become a little outdated.

Lumines II is as good as they say. Give it a shot.

That's all I know of, so far. I'm in the process of getting God of War and a couple of other games, so maybe I'll have more input in the near future.
awp
Oh shit I totally forgot

I played through Megaman Maverick Hunter X and it was a very enjoyable experience. It was a pretty worthy remake of the original Megaman X, with a few things changed around to keep it fresh, the bosses had more depth and abilities, and a 30 minute anime of backstory make it another candidate if you liked MMX. I played MMX to death and the ability to make it challenging a la Hard mode was nice. Throw Vile as a playable character in a new(ish) story mode for more awesome.
SoupNBread
As people have already said, make a pandora's battery (or buy one).

God of War: Chains of Olympus - Already said before, but I'd like to point it out again. One of, if not, the best looking PSP game. Plus, it's fun to go through multiple times with the unlocks.

Loco Roco - A very interesting and original game where you take the role of the planet. You tilt the planet to make the loco roco roll around the world trying to save the mui mui. Very weird, but very fun.

Patapon - A rhythm war game that is a ton of fun. You use drum beats to issue commands to your soldiers. Your soldiers can be equipped with new weapons and armor and there are different unit types. I've spent a good 30 hours playing this game :)

If you do end up going with CFW and you like Stepmania, I recommend PSPR. I play that most often on my PSP.
Detective Tuesday
PSPR is fun for showing off on the go =P. If only the speed mods went past 2x.
SoupNBread

Detective Tuesday wrote:

PSPR is fun for showing off on the go =P. If only the speed mods went past 2x.
That's the only gripe I have with the game... well I'd also enjoy % scoring.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - If you enjoy Street Fighter games, this is a pretty solid title. If you're not a fan, it won't convert you.
adam2046
original lumines is waay better than the sequel.
ok lessee...get:
killzone: liberation, for some fun.
gitaroo man lives if you don't have the original and perhaps even if you have it.
also all the things above.
And r-type command/tactics when it comes out.
Topic Starter
niedz
alll those titles are for hundred hours overall lol
thx ;)

and,yes i like SF series{not counting first one's,wasnt even able to make Hadouken :P}
fdtoonsman
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
niedz
yes good PSP games r rare,but got better graphics ;)
awp

niedzwiedz1124 wrote:

yes good PSP games r rare,but got better graphics ;)
Very true, but if the DS has taught us anything, graphics don't mean shit.
fdtoonsman
awp
fdtoonsman

awp wrote:

NARC.
Holyfuckingshit, I love that game. My friend has it on his NES and we play aaaaaallll the time.
Kasada
I personally LOVED Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. The remake of Rondo of Blood was phenomenal and Symphony of the Night is just as good. A little misc. feature about the remake of Rondo that I absolutely adored was the fact you could change the music in every stage to anything you wanted (Granted the song is from RoB or SotN.). Of course, if you wanted to change it to a track that isn't originally found in the RoB remake, you'd have to find the CD that corresponds to the track which are hidden in various places through out the many levels. Either way though...

Moonfight + Dracula Battle = EPIC.
Detective Tuesday
SoupNBread
Last megaman game I played was Megaman X6... I got halfway through and just gave up because there were points where I almost threw the controller.

DJMax Portable 2... import it or 'obtain' it. The game is addicting. I've run my battery dry(full to empty in a sitting) 3 times just playing this game. I hate/love Detective Tuesday for posting about this game.

Also, make sure you keep your nub... I lost my nub a year ago and it hurts using the stick that holds the nub. God of War segments will cause your thumb to be extremely sore.
Detective Tuesday
Uh oh. I lost my nub like a 5 days ago, literally. I guess I'm screwed!

And yes, DJMax indeed. Check rhythm game topic =P.
Topic Starter
niedz
awp
I haven't played it yet so idk

Also with the lack of a drumscreen I feel the game won't have the same pull as Taiko DS.
Topic Starter
niedz
maybe,but its more intense than Taiko DS,i played Taiko DS on no$gba,i wasnt great player,but maps onbiggest diff
wasnt so difficult as the ones on Taiko PSP,PS2 or even arcades...
awp
Oni mode on TaikoDS is frigging hard there are like 9 songs I can't beat on it.
Detective Tuesday
Pishaw. I play Oni with one stylus. *brag* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXJ3WtaPUw *showoff*

Not in Taiko DS 2 though, they surely upped the difficulty a little bit. There are some songs I can't really mess with yet, and I probably won't ever be able to because every Taiko DS gets boring after a day and I never play again =P. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get into the PSP versions, seeing as how the DS version at least somewhat emulates the arcade controls, which is obviously where most of the appeal comes from.
adam2046
Awp is truely right about NARC my brother and I hooked up my laptop to our big screen just play co-op (which I think is only rivalled by the original double dragon).
Asher005
silent hill: origins, tekken 5, ff7 crisis core, Beatz (if u like osu!), DJ max, GTA, Burnout
My reccomendations :P
Detective Tuesday
Zatoichi
Internet Browser.

Yeah. I got nothing to recommend to you that hasn't already been listed. Sorry.
James
MHP2G <3
Topic Starter
niedz
James
yep

Is there any acronym like that in psp games?
Something like Mario Hunter Princess 2nd Generation
Topic Starter
niedz
ive just wanted to be sure,cant i? >:(
Detective Tuesday
Topic Starter
niedz
lol,looks funny :D
James
i got both djmax portable (CFW FTW)
and i just wanna say portable1 sucks
but portable2 is super worth it.
SoupNBread

James wrote:

i got both djmax portable (CFW FTW)
and i just wanna say portable1 sucks
but portable2 is super worth it.
Lol, good thing I decided to not get 1 :)

Anyone have tips for 8 button? most of the time I feel like I'm going to drop my PSP when playing 8B :x
James
theres no tricks in playing that game. it just comes down to reflexes afterwards
and you always rely on characters when beating/FC-ing a really really hard song
im just playing it for fun. impossible for me to unlock everything.
Detective Tuesday
I never knew what the stats next to characters meant, so I never used them. Button mashing tends to do the trick in this game more effectively than most games. You don't really need to button mash on anything other than a 13, though... Hell, you don't really need to on a 13 either, I just suck. Other than that, full combos are easy because the timing window is really allowing.
James
well they use the same timing window in o2jam

hmmm stats next to the characters...

AUTO - it sometimes converts misses/uber late presses into max 1%, therefore your combo did not break. the higher the auto, the higher chances your combo wont break

FEVER - you start a song with your FEVER gauge filled to the %age indicated.

TECH - increases the hp/life amount you recover per hit.

DEF UP - i dunno

EXP - increases xp gained

GOLD - increases gold gained

P.S. - i just played 3 days ago ^^
SoupNBread
I was never able to figure out tech. As for button mashing, most songs you can but I've tried it on Chains of Gravity 6B and not been able to mash my way through. If I actually try though, I can pass.
WyndII
geez, i only borrow my friends psps lool.
and I played lots of games there.
So far the best games i've ever played was N+ (lol), Burno- wtf listed >.< why is all listed.
And i wanna try patapon~
Rokodo
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2

Burnout Dominator

:3
[Youmu]
Tales of the World Radiant Mythology
Star ocean Series
Pokebis
Necrothread much?
Anyways, I'm really loving Disgaea 2 on the PSP. Half Minute Hero is also pretty cool.
awp

Pokebis wrote:

Necrothread much?
Anyways, I'm really loving Disgaea 2 on the PSP.
Ditto that, though I didn't expect it to disappoint. It's Disgaea. But made slightly better. So it's slightly better than amazing.