forum

Cherry MX Red Switch Mechanical Keyboard Suggestions?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ron_mario
For most of my time playing osu! I have been using my Logitech G910 Orion Spark.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Orion-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00N3OELPU
This uses Logitech's own Romer G switches. These switches have a fairly high activation force and they feel like a mix between membrane and mechanical.
Basically what I'm saying is that it is hard to stream fast on because it takes too much force to activate.
I understand that the Corsair K75 had some ghosting issues, which was one of my options.
Some requirements are...
- Backlit
- Larger keys
- Low activation force
- Aesthetically pleasing
I have also used a CM Storm Quickfire keyboard that uses brown switches, but the keys are very small and the back light is not full.
[Gaia]_old
Corsair K95 or K70? If you're only playing standard then you can buy a K70 no problem, it only has problems with 3+ key press activation iirc, so you won't have to worry about it, unless you plan on playing mania.
Otherwise, if you have a little bit more money, you can buy a Filco Majestouch (not backlit, but nice build) or a Ducky keyboard, I think the Shine 4 and 5 have backlit RGB? Anyhow, they all come in Cherry MX Reds.
Gardarr
I have a k70 (playing std) and I find it a wonderful keyboard! Would recommend
fajar13k
If you want a Fullsize keyboard you could go for Ducky Shine 5/ Ducky One RGB
But if you're a fan of small keyboards like me, go for Vortex POK3R RGB
repr1se
K70
Fxjlk
Get the cheapest one you can find by a mainstream brand like corsair, logitech etc
dinopwn
ducky ones are pretty good
Retrofit
Logitech G610 Orion Red is pretty good
SlowLogicBoy
You could save by buying keyboard with Kailh switches instead of Cherry MX
TakuMii
Or you could be a cool cat and grab an optical keyboard ;)
A4tech's new lineup recently came out stateside, and they're on sale at Newegg right now (LK Black is about the equivalent of MX Red).
[Haku]
Romer g activation force is 45g witch is the lightest that exist. Actuation distance is 1.5mm and total travel is 3mm witch is better than everything but mx cherry mx speed. So you should keep your keyboard imo
Rurree

[Haku] wrote:

Romer g activation force is 45g witch is the lightest that exist. Actuation distance is 1.5mm and total travel is 3mm witch is better than everything but mx cherry mx speed. So you should keep your keyboard imo
lightest that I know of is the Topre 30g and the Gateron Clears which are 35g so this ain't true

I suggest the Ducky One or the Steelseries Apex M500 as these are very easy to find and get, although there are other better choices out there.
[Haku]

Madvillain wrote:

[Haku] wrote:

lightest that I know of is the Topre 30g and the Gateron Clears which are 35g so this ain't true

I suggest the Ducky One or the Steelseries Apex M500 as these are very easy to find and get, although there are other better choices out there.
My bad indeed. But my point was "no need for a new keyboard if you just have trouble streaming. 45g is pretty much the norm (red are 45g as well and that's what he wanted in the first place)
Topic Starter
ron_mario

[Haku] wrote:

Wow, who knew. I guess they just feel mushy and not very tactile. I am getting more used to it. I guess I should just click lighter.
[Haku]

ron_mario wrote:

[Haku] wrote:

Wow, who knew. I guess they just feel mushy and not very tactile. I am getting more used to it. I guess I should just click lighter.
Even if you pick a keyboard with "better stats" you probably won't magically improve faster. You don't have a bad keyboard. Just get used to it. And before buying a new keyboard at least try different switches on osu if possible (take a friend's keyboard for exemple) to be sure you will at least feel more comfortable.
Rurree
Romer G switches are known to be quite mushy compared to most mechanical keyboards and its tactility is very subtle, so that's understandable.

It's a neat keyboard for gaming though, definitely recommend it for osu.