forum

Planning to switch main tapping finger, then alternate.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hibiya-chan
So I've been getting into 5* maps and when I play jumpy marathons, my middle finger (z), which is my main tap finger btw, tires out easily. This is different with my supporting tap finger tho, index finger (x), not only it does not tire out easily but is also faster than my main tap finger entirely. The only thing I need to practice with this is streaming which is the case I'm not used to in this tap finger. Also, I think its fun to learn alternating too since I heard that it provides better stamina that makes higher bpm easy and I'm just gonna learn a second main tap finger anyway so... is this a good idea? If so, what star diff range should I practice these on?
Sandy Hoey
I don't know if it is a good idea, but if you are looking to learn a new mechanical skill, alway go down in level so that you can understand how it works before playing your normal difficulties again.If your normal is 5 star, I would say low 4 star or hard 3 star maps at first
Jukkii
If alternating would just give you some kind of advantage just like that, everyone would be alternating. It has its drawbacks.
dung eater
star diff doesn't matter for practicing tapping. it's the tapping you are practicing.

look at objects/min for tapping heavy maps at a bpm you want to practice. more objects -> more tapping, usually better practice for you
Nattsun

-Jukke- wrote:

If alternating would just give you some kind of advantage just like that, everyone would be alternating. It has its drawbacks.
Alternate tapper here and I can tell you, alternating is easier than people claim it to be. The only "drawback" is that you need some sense for rhythm. I don't see me having any disadvantage over singletappers, its the opposite, I am twice as fast as your average singletapper, and I don't get exhausted as fast as singletappers, just played 6 hours straight, 2 days in a row.

You have to play diffrent mapsets to build stamina as an alternate tapper, and most 5 digits can't even play all 4* maps properly, including me.
tfg50

Cirno9 wrote:

-Jukke- wrote:

Alternate tapper here and I can tell you, alternating is easier than people claim it to be. The only "drawback" is that you need some sense for rhythm. I don't see me having any disadvantage over singletappers, its the opposite, I am twice as fast as your average singletapper, and I don't get exhausted as fast as singletappers, just played 6 hours straight, 2 days in a row.

You have to play diffrent mapsets to build stamina as an alternate tapper, and most 5 digits can't even play all 4* maps properly, including me.
I know 4 digits and even 3 digits that can't play not some, but a lot of 4* maps properly.

As someone that started alternating and then changed to singletap because of my lack of streaming stamina, I can tell you that alternating has some advantages. Even if you don't alternate. For example: if there's this tricky pattern that I couldn't read properly because of some reason (like super fast sliders), I'll default back to my alternating mindset and hit the pattern. There are also some patterns that I can read while alternating and can't understand wtf is going on while singletapping because alternating is more natural if you have the rhythm to hit the pattern on some patterns. It also lets you play a wider variety of maps that would be too fast/insane to play singletapping.

Alternating is also quite fun but this is my personal opinion.