forum

The Mapping Community Contest Voting Has Opened

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
7ambda
https://new.ppy.sh/community/contests/6

Share your thoughts on the entries below.
Kibbleru
mice
Topic Starter
7ambda
i spent the last 3-4 hours judging every standard entry gg

still got to look at normal, fuk
Jellyblob
x
Topic Starter
7ambda

Jellyblob56 wrote:

i dont know what this is lol
have you been under a rock

https://osu.ppy.sh/news/151057958633
Kibbleru

F1r3tar wrote:

i spent the last 3-4 hours judging every standard entry gg

still got to look at normal, fuk
any thoughts? :d
Topic Starter
7ambda

Kibbleru wrote:

any thoughts? :d
Yeah, when I was looking at the insane category, I narrowed my vote to blase creeper and alarmed pronghorn. Both entries are well mapped, but they use completely different styles. This made it hard to choose whether another generic, comfortably-mapped entry should be the insane diff, or a more gimmicky one which is unique, but ruins the increasing difficulty balance of the map spread.

Blase creeper utilizes conventional/standard mapping that seems to be directed more towards lower ranked players that want to improve at 4*. It's a nice, comfortable entry for a bundled map like this. Oh yeah, the mapper overdid the amount of hitsounding imo.

On the other hand, alarmed pronghorn utilizes a slightly, more gimmicky style that emphasizes on reading and stamina. For example, 00:49:183 (1) all the way up to 01:02:983 (8) requires you to constantly singletap 100 bpm with no time for a break. 00:49:183 (1) up until 01:02:983 (8) contains a lot of 3/4 sliders that continuously overlap the sliderhead of the next slider; probably trickier for newer players to read. Reading difficulty is especially added to these patterns, like 00:56:383 (1,2,3,4), where you have a 3/4 and 1/4 slider occuring, followed by a 1/2 gap immediately after; however, I feel like these challenges really add to the unique/creative aspect (especially since this is the only entry that used CS 5).
B1rd
My thought is that most of the extra maps belong in the trash.

For insane I voted for alarmed pronghorn, I really like the cs5 flow style. I also thought Distressed whale was good, I like the transitions emphasizing the song with well placed sliders and well placed jumps that all flow nicely. However the end felt a bit undermapped to me.
Topic Starter
7ambda

B1rd wrote:

My thought is that most of the extra maps belong in the trash.

For insane I voted for alarmed pronghorn, I really like the cs5 flow style. I also thought Distressed whale was good, I like the transitions emphasizing the song with well placed sliders and well placed jumps that all flow nicely. However the end felt a bit undermapped to me.
Yeah, especially on the 6.9+* entries where the jumps and streams are overspaced; however, I do like unruffled emu and elated bufflehead.

Emu has some cool reading challenges to it, like doubles that start on blue ticks, and interesting streams that compliment the song's theme. I also like those symmetrical patterns in the kiai like 01:59:981 (1,2,1,2,1,2). Bufflehead has a lot of cool slider art, and fun patterns like 00:38:541 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1) and 00:48:141 (1,1,1,1,1,1,1). Both entries seem to keep the jumps and streams reasonably spaced too.
FuZ
shit song
Topic Starter
7ambda
For the hard category, there was only one entry that was at least mapped decently good.
B1rd
cs4 mapping doesn't feel right with this song, with most of the extras there is too much emphasis on unstructured 1/2 jumps, and too many gimmicky patterns that rely too much on spacing. They feel like most overmapped unranked maps. I like Sickly Marmot the best, it has more structured jumps, feels more polished and I really like circular flow triples which is like a throwback to old cs6 maps.

I'm a bit disappointed about that lack of older style mapping. There weren't any ar8 style insanes or val style extras.
Topic Starter
7ambda

B1rd wrote:

cs4 mapping doesn't feel right with this song, with most of the extras there is too much emphasis on unstructured 1/2 jumps, and too many gimmicky patterns that rely too much on spacing. They feel like most overmapped unranked maps. I like Sickly Marmot the best, it has more structured jumps, feels more polished and I really like circular flow triples which is like a throwback to old cs6 maps.

I'm a bit disappointed about that lack of older style mapping. There weren't any ar8 style insanes or val style extras.
I hate the quadruples in that one. It feels like it's trying to emphasize a sound that really isn't there.
B1rd
Yeah the 1/6 quadruples are a bit annoying, they're in one of the ones you like as well. Though I can still deal with them, they just take some burst skill.
Blitzfrog
That moment when your diff gets rejected because you suck as a mapper :( :( :( :(
levesterz

Blitzfrog wrote:

That moment when your diff gets rejected because you suck as a mapper :( :( :( :(
same
winber1

Blitzfrog wrote:

play more
B1rd
Winber1 I love your maps. AR9.1, so creative and non mainstream lmao
winber1
that sounded really sarcastic but also somewhat sincere, not sure if intended, but i'll have you know that my maps are quality dog shit
Topic Starter
7ambda

winber1 wrote:

that sounded really sarcastic but also somewhat sincere, not sure if intended, but i'll have you know that my maps are quality dog shit
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/130036

00:11:078 (1,2,3,4) - quality use of doubles 10/10
abraker
Voting page has gone to limbo
B1rd

winber1 wrote:

Absolutely no sarcasm there. nu uh. Your maps are 'great', 'fantastic'. You are one of the 'best' 'mappers' I 'know', actually.