forum

is osu multi-threaded?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Grace of Heaven
is osu multi-threaded?
abraker
Yes, but my understanding is that the current version attempts to sync the threads. So you have a poor gpu, input ends up being affected as well since it sync input and graphics, etc. The newer version of osu! currently in development fixes that by having input, graphics and game logic all run at their own speed.
Upskirt

abraker wrote:

Yes, but my understanding is that the current version attempts to sync the threads. So you have a poor gpu, input ends up being affected as well since it sync input and graphics, etc. The newer version of osu! currently in development fixes that by having input, graphics and game logic all run at their own speed.
You mean it spreads the workload across multiple cores and runs them parallel. This only means it will run more efficiently and can remove potential bottlenecks.

From what I can see there is literally no multi-threading on osu! just by playing one map it all runs on Core 0 which means the game is single-threaded dependent. High clock speeds are king in this scenario, then again osu! isn't a very intensive game on hardware.

Osu! should solely rely for the most part on a good GPU(which isn't even very necessary) but it can run on mostly anything since it has OpenGL and DirectX support.
abraker

Venzire wrote:

From what I can see there is literally no multi-threading on osu! just by playing one map it all runs on Core 0 which means the game is single-threaded dependent. High clock speeds are king in this scenario, then again osu! isn't a very intensive game on hardware.
Had to spend an hour trying to find the thread where peppy replied to my suggestion separating input from rendering logic to confirm whether what I said was right or not. Yea, doesn't seem that it's multi-threaded according to what he said here: t/340812