forum

How to go about learning how to full alternate?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fingertoes
I am a single tapping player and have decided to learn full alternating. With my single tapping playstyle, I can constantly FC muzukashiis and pass onis.

How do I go about learning how to full alternate? I am totally lost on where to start or how to go about this. Are there specific steps I can take?

Thanks for any responses :)
Edgar_Figaro
I am a single tapper myself so just repeating stuff I've heard others say. Start with easier maps and slow bpm and concentrate on alternating fingers. Probably best to do maps that require no 1/4 alternating to start so you just get used to hitting every single tap with opposite finger. Once you don't have to think about switching anymore and it is natural start working up to faster songs. It'll be awkward at first as you will need to learn to start alternating 1/4 patterns with either finger. Also controlling tapping speed is a challenge with alternating as with single tapping doing 1/4's is natural as adding the 2nd finger to double the speed is easy concept. With alternating you instead have to learn to double the tempo of presses which is less intuitive.

The advantage though is as you will be used to changing tempo 1/3 & 1/6 patterns will be easier than with single tapping.
Estaryo
1. Its gonna be pretty hard cause you already have a playstyle and your brain is used to it, so it will take much time.
2. Fullalt or more taking the whole map as 1 full stream, you have to practise your weakhand cause all finger has to be same strong (bad english sry)
if you can fc nearly any muzu you should be save with only one hand so you could try to reverse play the muzu (left hand instead of right hand or opposite) to get used to your offhand.
3. the brain will forget to play with your mainhand so dont play with the offhand all the time.
4. well you know how to play from both sides so try to mix it and play a map like a single stream.

thats what i would say.
i relearned my playstyle and it took me about 2 month and i forgot to play with 4 fingers, until i got back to old skill.
well whatelse to say just be really really concentrated cause your finger always want to play like you did before, so force your brain with concentration to do something else^^

hope i could help good luck

EDIT: 3 star low bpm/4 star normal bpm will be hardest to learn cause you have the most 1/2 to 1/4 (or 1/4 to 1/4) switches there so avoid them until you are more used to it.
RuinedChicken
I switched to fullalt back in August. If you really want to learn that playstyle, the sooner you begin, the better. Here's what i did:

0. (Very strongly recommended) Say goodbye to singletapping for a very long time. Just don't do it. You need to relearn taiko from zero. Reinforcing your singletapping habits will make the process harder.

1. (Optional, but recommended) Create at least three playlists. One for kantans. One for futsuus. One for muzus.

2. Go here.-> http://osusearch.com/ Get beatmaps between 150 and 260 bpm. The more, the better. At the very least get one for every 10 bpm jump. I'd recommend a minimum of two.

3. Begin with low bpm kantan and climb your way up. I was satisfied when I was able to get S or A ranks with very few misses on each map. Feel free to play maps from the next difficulty level when your'e past the 200-220 bpm threshold, but make sure to not abandon your current difficulty until you can confortably play at 250 bpm or faster. Repeat until you're back on muzu.

4. As it has been said before, the jump to oni will be very challenging. But for you it's all about learning the patterns. By the time you're playing high bpm muzus and trying to get used to oni level it becomes less about the bpm and more about the patterns. Dont feel ashamed to try out stuff in HT.

5. At first you will only be able to play the most basic (very low bpm, around 3*) onis. The climb from 3* to 4* is about rising up the bpm while getting used to the longer patterns. You may be stuck there in a while, but don't get too frustrated. Try older maps with mods when overwhelmed/ play stuff for fun, like songs you really really like. You won't need a "guide" to rely on from that point onwards. Keep challenging yourself by stepping slightly outside your comfort zone every once in a while, and I guarantee you, you'll learn the game. Best of luck.
Swerro
I'm learning to full alternate and making very decent progress at the time.

I have a question for people that full alternate

How 'pure' are you in your alternation?

Do you sometimes use your right or left hand twice in a row ? / When do you do that?
Appelkatt

Swerro wrote:

I'm learning to full alternate and making very decent progress at the time.

I have a question for people that full alternate

How 'pure' are you in your alternation?

Do you sometimes use your right or left hand twice in a row ? / When do you do that?
The definition of full-alt is that you never use your right or left hand twice in a row. If you have exceptions to this, then you don't truly full-alt.

There are a lot of players that picked up alternating purely for 1/2 beat streams. Ultimately, fully alternating no matter what is ideal for both hand stamina and reading stamina (the map becomes one whole stream, which perhaps non-intuitively actually makes it easier to stream) but realistically you are most likely to run into bigger walls from other issues before running into a wall purely because you don't alternate everything. Given this, it ultimately comes down to what makes you most comfortable - I picked up alternating 1/2 beat streams to supplement my overall low streaming speed, and it made higher bpm maps significantly more comfortable for me to play.

To answer your question more personally, anything that involves a beat snapping change (aside from mixed 15NPS+ streams) I return to starting a stream with my right hand. For example, a stream of 1/3 notes leading directly into a 1/4 stream such as d,k,d,ddkdd I will stream as rlrrlrlr. I do the same with 1/6 in 1/4 streams in slower songs, but in faster songs I read 1/6 differently which changes the way I press the buttons. And, of course, I will do ddd d d ddd as rlr r l rlr.
Swerro

Appelkatt wrote:

There are a lot of players that picked up alternating purely for 1/2 beat streams. Ultimately, fully alternating no matter what is ideal for both hand stamina and reading stamina (the map becomes one whole stream, which perhaps non-intuitively actually makes it easier to stream) but realistically you are most likely to run into bigger walls from other issues before running into a wall purely because you don't alternate everything. Given this, it ultimately comes down to what makes you most comfortable - I picked up alternating 1/2 beat streams to supplement my overall low streaming speed, and it made higher bpm maps significantly more comfortable for me to play.

To answer your question more personally, anything that involves a beat snapping change (aside from mixed 15NPS+ streams) I return to starting a stream with my right hand. For example, a stream of 1/3 notes leading directly into a 1/4 stream such as d,k,d,ddkdd I will stream as rlrrlrlr. I do the same with 1/6 in 1/4 streams in slower songs, but in faster songs I read 1/6 differently which changes the way I press the buttons. And, of course, I will do ddd d d ddd as rlr r l rlr.
Okay so I've been regularly practicing taiko oni maps and I'm very confident with my stream patterns, however, I'm having alot of trouble with seeing the map as a long stream: I struggle with single / triples alternating. I started trying it "ddd d d ddd as rlr r l rlr." but that only seems to make it harder somehow (my right hands feels like it taps very irregularly). I think I want to keep going for the full alternate playstyle, but I've been stuck at this wall for a while. Any tips for this? (tips for reading the map as 1 long stream)
BabySnakes
You don't need to go full alt, single tap is perfectly fine even at around 350 bpm if you're really good at it.
DeletedUser_4050493
I started 1st note with L, and every note after Big Notes with L (I'm R Handed) like
ddd D D ddd > lrl b b lrl and d d D d d > l r B l r, is that still full alt-ing?
johnmedina999
I found that switching to kkdd forces you to alternate, and so when was starting out, I forced myself to kkdd.
Luvdic
1- Stop playing for about 3-6 months.
2- Start playing again, but at the usual diffs you are used to
3- Your finger will be very weak and slow, so you will start alternating
4- It will be alright, because your brain will keep telling you that you can pass this map easily
RuinedChicken

Kyunshi wrote:

I started 1st note with L, and every note after Big Notes with L (I'm R Handed) like
ddd D D ddd > lrl b b lrl and d d D d d > l r B l r, is that still full alt-ing?
It is.
marui
I died inside while reading this thread xd
Tyistiana
1. Use your main hand tap everything you've see.
2. Stream with your main hand only.
3. Free your another hand, you can use your another hand to scratch you face.

4. If you do 1-3 regularly, not good, you'll be single tap player like me.

Try to play alternating, but I love single tap more than.
Single tap is my life! XD

To play alternate, I'm absolutely sure that it'll be better than single tap.
Chando
this really hard, learn full alternate will take much time