forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 50: Spiral Sliders

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love Them!
18.54%
4 -
18.24%
3 -
25.84%
2 -
18.24%
1 - Hate Them!
19.15%
Total votes: 329
Topic Starter
NoHitter
Round 50: Spiral Sliders

Nominated by Xgor. A slider in the shape of a spiral. It can both go start from the middle or from the outer point and can have repeat arrows.

Map(s) that use this technique
EastNewSound - Lucid Dream mapped by Leorda
Hatsune Miku - Beware of Mikumiku Bacteria mapped by Krisom
Yoko Ishida - paraparaMAX I mapped by chan

~Mapping Technique Nominations~
RandomJibberish
That example is awful (uneven, self overlapping), but these are beautiful done perfectly :P
Hazenkain
I really like these when I see them well-placed but it's hard to find a nice map with them
aston_old
If mapped well and actually given time to think before randomly placing them, yes.
Most maps often misuse this and create chaos with silly uneven spots and general ugliness
~3
Luvdic
Hate, they just look pretty, but it plays awful and doesn't really fits well in any song. The only spirals that i have seen to fit to the song decently are the semi spiral ones.
NatsumeRin
4. looks nice, but it's sad that we won't find many songs fits that super long slider.
Ekoro
So cute <3

5'd
Mismagius

:D
James2250
5/5 when they are actually done correctly (which isn't too often)
1/5 when they are uneven etc

Gets 3/5 from me
Gonzvlo

Blue Dragon wrote:

:D
4~5/5

OP wrote:

1/5
GladiOol
Spirals are too easy to sliderbreak, that's why I don't really like them.
Sure they can look nice, but most important is if it plays nice :D

2/5
Shiirn
1/5. They never suit any sort of song, and the only time they would is when you intentionally want a spinning motion, in which you'd be better off with a real spinner.
Xgor
Looks nice but plays pretty awful 2/5
Derekku
3; pretty much they usually don't fit and end up playing bad.

Also, they give me bad memories of 08/09 burai spiral sliders that would stay stuck in the center for a second before spiraling out, thus scaring the shit out of me and breaking combo.
OzzyOzrock
200 BPM X2 INHERIT SECTION YEAH

3 because they just... THEY DON'T FEEL ._.
pieguyn
5 if they're used well, 3 if they don't fit or are somewhat awkward (or don't look right).

My personal favorite example:

SPOILER

Unfortunately, the AR on this damn map is so high you can only see 4 notes here. Lol.
OzzyOzrock

pieguy1372 wrote:

yeah play that with HR and tell me it's nice lol
Larto
2, because these are fucking disgusting in 99% of all cases. Because people can't be arsed to make their slider art anything close to perfect. If done right, they're gorgeous and fun, but they're done wrong almost every time because of mappers' incapability.
Verdisphena

5/5
Sallad4ever
a very hard too use slider indeed
I prefer if it goes inward to the center though

3/5
Zekira
Someone teach me how to do this

I really love these sliders...
RandomJibberish
It's the one slider shape there's literally no trick for. You just have to add plenty of points and eyeball it, which is why they take ages and everyone sucks at them
FireballFlame
Yep, they are really hard to make, but if done right, they can be fun.
ziin

Zekira wrote:

Someone teach me how to do this

I really love these sliders...
well I thought I had an example using red dots, but apparently I was mistaken.
It's easier to make these using double points (red slider dots) and make the bezier tangent to the spiral every time it crosses a major axis.

Start with a box and add points until you get a spiral.
RandomJibberish

ziin wrote:

It's easier to make these using double points (red slider dots) and make the bezier tangent to the spiral every time it crosses a major axis.

Start with a box and add points until you get a spiral.
Please don't do this, it looks really awkward. Spiral sliders have to be eyeballed, unfortunately :(
Lilac

I FRICKIN' LOVE YOU, LARTO. T_T
theowest
Looks nice. But who the poot uses them correctly and in a good way? They doesn't fit.. In my opinion.
mm201
I need to finish Space Oddity. It has a really good one.
They're used in a similar way to spinners. They can begin patterns, or end patterns. Small, rebounding ones can work in a few other situations.
Giving them enough space is always the hardest part.
Equivalent_old
2. I dont like it >.< So easy to sliderbreak
Garven
How did I not see this thread before?

<3

No red lines, booya. Took forever to make, but I just made it half-size then scaled it up from there.

Also 3/5. Potential for awesome, but rarely done awesome.
Minty Gum
2. I'm not a huge fan of them, maybe because most of the ones I've seen look ugly, and I'm not a fan of really long sliders. It seems like some of them could be replaced with spinners. Maybe they're a few good ones I'm missing.
Alarido
5 when they're well (I said: WELL) made and they've a reasonable slider velocity. In fact, I like them also by they're do combo-feeding with no note hitting (:
1 when they're too fast and/or poor geometric quality (this case I do prefer spinners instead).
Kodora
4 because people usually do not know how to use them properly
Kurokami
Looks good, but nothing more.
WingSilent
I like them on slow songs, or easy/normal diffs, but not on hardest ones, and yes, they have to be slow or so.