forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Genius
Greetings

So, I am in the middle of making a skin, which I want to be quite minimal. I managed to make some hitbursts (the 300s to be exact) invisible but that also made them invisible on the ranking board. My question being, is it possible to make them invisible in-game without altering their rank board visibility ?
deadbeat
yes. it is. you can use both 300.png and 300-0.png
300.png will appear on the ranking panel and 300-0.png will appear while playing
I Have Autism
Sorry if i posting in wrong place, pls notice me.
Do somebody still keep the SAO II health bar .psd file ? Since the OP has been banned but i very like that health bar. I need that psd file so i can self-edit my own.
Thanks
Genius

deadbeat wrote:

yes. it is. you can use both 300.png and 300-0.png
300.png will appear on the ranking panel and 300-0.png will appear while playing
Thank you very much!
autoteleology
Does anyone have a complete list of which menu audio elements are skinnable? And why can I not skin whoosh.wav? I thought supporters had that ability.
Keihyan
I want to make life gauge which has my name like skin of rafis. how can i make it? and what software do i needed for?
Storb

Philosofikal wrote:

Does anyone have a complete list of which menu audio elements are skinnable? And why can I not skin whoosh.wav? I thought supporters had that ability.
Not 100%, but in regards to just menu-related elements (referring to Global section of Sounds in the Skinning article on the wiki), I've only ever seen the following in other skins and working:
  1. welcome.wav
  2. seeya.wav
  3. menuhit.wav
  4. menuback.wav
  5. menuclick.wav
  6. applause.wav
I believe multiplayer elements (match-join.wav, match-leave.wav, etc.) are also modifiable. Everything else I don't think can be changed--haven't tested it myself yet though. The only thing being a supporter allows you to modify that you otherwise wouldn't be able to is welcome.wav and seeya.wav (in terms of sounds).

Kei1koh2 wrote:

I want to make life gauge which has my name like skin of rafis. how can i make it? and what software do i needed for?
The file you're looking to modify is scorebar-bg.png. This contains the background of the HP bar and you can put whatever you want on it, including your name. You can also modify scorebar-colour.png to have your name as well (if you want your name to fill with color instead of being static in the background for example).

Free tools to modify / create mage files include Paint.NET and GIMP. A more professional alternative is Photoshop, provided you obtain a copy in some way.
YAOshine
so !good !
Alexjust16

Kei1koh2 wrote:

LyAyvnture
Thank you for this tutorial, I now can make my own skin... heheheh :D :)
DannieKun
What's with the files with @2x at the end of the name? Some skin have it, and some doesn't. Can someone explain this to me? And what is the file name of the part in osu standard where it shows what key / mouse button the player is pressing, on the right side of the screen. Thanks!
Szymek
AbsurdDive
that's it.. i'll try to create a skin (it took me a while to decide)
let's see if i can make something HALF decent haha
nice guide :D

all i have to do now is google pics from nichijou haha (i have a lot of material to choose from)
Supairo

DannieKun wrote:

What's with the files with @2x at the end of the name? Some skin have it, and some doesn't. Can someone explain this to me? And what is the file name of the part in osu standard where it shows what key / mouse button the player is pressing, on the right side of the screen. Thanks!
The "@2x" corresponds to a High-Definition element, being two times bigger than the Standard-Definition element (but still will appear on the same size of a SD element ingame, the difference the HD one is more clear). For example, the file you requested for the key/mouse button pressed is inputoverlay-key.png. The template skin's element has a resolution of 43x46 for the SD element, and a resolution of 86x92 for the HD element (aka the @2x element). Also, the background of the inputs is called inputoverlay-background.png. If you want to force HD elements, serach for this line in your config file (osu!.Your Computer Username.cfg):
HighResolution = 1
1 being to force them and 2 to not force them. Personally, when making a skin, I make the @2x element first, as it will be easier to scale it down to SD afterwards. The reverse isn't recommended.
Hope that answers!

Sp0of wrote:

kinda harrd to trnasfer my .zip files to my .osk dont know why its letting me sometimes. want to make my own skins... Have an LG desktop.
Erm... I don't get it. Do you mean putting elements in a .osk? I think it's impossible. Just put all your elements into a .zip and change the extension (.zip) into .osk !
DW10
I'm having a problem with my skin. Everything is fine, but Taiko. When I hit the blue/red drum, it goes above the actual drum. How do you fix this?
DannieKun
Another thing, why is the RGB code of Mania colors 4? Isn't it supposed to be only 3? (This is from my skin.ini)

ColourLight1: 102,205,170,255
ColourLight2: 0,191,255,255
ColourLight3: 0,191,255,255
ColourLight4: 102,205,170,255
Colour1: 0,0,0,240
Colour2: 0,0,0,240
Colour3: 0,0,0,240
Colour4: 0,0,0,240
ColourHold: 255,230,0,255

And can someone explain to me what is the difference of ColourLight, Colour, and ColourHold? Thank you very much and have a nice day :D
OsuMe65
It's based from Key Count. If it's 4K, then 4 codes.
ColourLight recolors mania-stage-light.png, Colour recolors the mania stage background and ColourHold recolors the combo number during a Long Note hold.
DannieKun

OsuMe65 wrote:

It's based from Key Count. If it's 4K, then 4 codes.
ColourLight recolors mania-stage-light.png, Colour recolors the mania stage background and ColourHold recolors the combo number during a Long Note hold.
No, I mean not the keynotes, what I'm referring to is the RGB code, it's supposed to be 3 right? It should be something like 255,255,255 like the one on osu standard, but here on mania config, it's 102,205,170,255, like the ColourLight1
Ayesha Altugle
RGBA
DannieKun

vahn10 wrote:

RGBA
Which part is the A?

incelost

DannieKun wrote:

vahn10 wrote:

RGBA
Which part is the A?
A is for the alpha-channel, therefore transparency.
Rio-
Kinda curious...

What's the default dimension of cursors for the latest version? I saw that there's a lot using 60x60, but there's also some using 50x50, 40x40, etc.
Also some of them affect my aim (or it's just me. But in my case, lower dimension = heavier to move cursors around).
Topic Starter
MLGnom
I don't think it really matters what dimension you will use to make cursor since you can adjust size in osu! options.
Szymek
:x How long does skinning usually take. Want to become one.
DeletedUser_4041880
The answer varies per person. Some people worked on a skin for 2 years, some a week, and others a few days.
h1b1k11
I'm making a skin but when I put the pause-overlay and fail-background in, it won't appear but when I add in other skin backgrounds, it works. Help?!? :o >:(
Metaknee
So hard work a create skin :( ...
dws123

imaikiseta wrote:

I'm making a skin but when I put the pause-overlay and fail-background in, it won't appear but when I add in other skin backgrounds, it works. Help?!? :o >:(
Make sure the size fits and the file format is .png
OsuMe65

dws123 wrote:

imaikiseta wrote:

Make sure the size fits and that the file format is .png
Fatal3ty
I would like skinning Taiko and I found myself that new template Skin unfortunately, not all skin elements Taiko available. It lacks the pink part, the red and blue semi-circles, white circle and the yellow spinner. Which file is it? :(
OsuMe65
Having a Taiko skin should answer ALL of your questions t/48424
DannieKun
What are these highlighted spinner files? The only one that seems to show up on screen in-game was the spinner circle file and the approach circle. Can someone explain this? Thanks!

Rio-

DannieKun wrote:

What are these highlighted spinner files? The only one that seems to show up on screen in-game was the spinner circle file and the approach circle. Can someone explain this? Thanks!

It appears if you use version: 2 or later in the skin.ini and if you delete the spinner-background.png (Basically it's the Spinner from Skin Version 2)
DannieKun

Rio- wrote:

DannieKun wrote:

It appears if you use version: 2 or later in the skin.ini and if you delete the spinner-background.png (Basically it's the Spinner from Skin Version 2)
How do I use version 2 or later in skin.ini file? What should I configure?
yamane-kurou
I'm working on my first skin and I was wondering about one thing...

in older Osi builds there was, when you clicked on Skins, a map playing where you could see that skin in action. But I don't find that in the new build only when I have an osu- zipped skin that I unpack with osu. Is there a way to enter that part without having to load a new skin? because it's kinda annoying to play a map and try to fail enough to get the section fail thing without failing entirely because you missed too many notes deliberately.

Or is there another way to 'watch' your skin in action to check things without having to play yourself over and over again? @-@
Haskorion
How about watching replays of others or Autoplay?
About the old skin selection screen, it sure was easier to preview a skin but it kinda loses impact without cursor movement. With cursor movement you see how the hitcircles and followpoints feel like when playing and give a much better impression if something obscures gameplay. Time advances, so does technology or design.
yamane-kurou
well my main fokus is on when you screw up ^^, so Autoplay is out of question since it will always bee 100% the only way would be to make a replay where I screw up at one point and rewatch that... since my section failsound seems to be too quiet and I need to hear it in game to adjust it properly XD
Noffy

yamane-kurou wrote:

well my main fokus is on when you screw up ^^, so Autoplay is out of question since it will always bee 100% the only way would be to make a replay where I screw up at one point and rewatch that... since my section failsound seems to be too quiet and I need to hear it in game to adjust it properly XD
what I do is I have a replay of myself playing a map I find easy with two breaks long enough to show section fail/pass, playing with no fail on, and I purposely fail the first section and pass the second. Then when testing a skin I can watch my replay on 2x to see how the section break/fail looks like in game. It can be even easier than the old preview screen since all you have to do to see new changes is press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S (reloads the skin) when in song select before watching the replay again.
dws123

DannieKun wrote:

How do I use version 2 or later in skin.ini file? What should I configure?
put in
version: x
under the [General] section, where x is the skin version
yamane-kurou

dorothy3242 wrote:

yamane-kurou wrote:

what I do is I have a replay of myself playing a map I find easy with two breaks long enough to show section fail/pass, playing with no fail on, and I purposely fail the first section and pass the second. Then when testing a skin I can watch my replay on 2x to see how the section break/fail looks like in game. It can be even easier than the old preview screen since all you have to do to see new changes is press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S (reloads the skin) when in song select before watching the replay again.
Thanks ^^ feeling stupid for not thinking about that XD I'm always for the difficult and hard way it seems XD
show more