forum

How do you play this game?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loginer
Do you use a mouse, a touchpad, a tablet, a Wiimote, a trackball, a NES-controller, or maybe something else?

Myself, I use a completely horrible mouse. The mouse ball gets stuck ALL THE ******* TIME. T_T Ò_Ó
Edit: Now I use a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000, which is basically pure win, which just happens to be a mouse. *^_^*
White_old
Mouse for slider heavy songs, trackpad for the others.
Ivalset
Optical mouse.
TiZ
Well... not to toot my own horn, but I use my touchpad + my absolute motion program Synaptic Absolution. Touchpads with their default method of motion aren't good for osu! at all, IMO. Each point on the pad corresponds to a point on the screen, when using SynAbs. Another big advantage is that I can play it whenever I want, wherever I want, with no need for a mouse.
Kylecito
i wanted a tablet before, but with the spacebar implemented (only working on test build at the moment! coming soon to a public osu near you) it's actually hella easier to use a mouse! :) look forward to it
TiZ
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Rod_old
Optical mouse. I use both hands while playing it (yea, I know, IT'S BIZARRE). My left hand just rests in the mouse's left side, it gives me more "stability" and helps a lot when tapping way-too-faraway beats. :P
Also, my mouse buttons are incredibly hard, for my luck. -_-'

But I guess I'll have to change my playing style with the new Spacebar control scheme coming up : )
chan
I'm not particularly thrilled with the spacebar facility, but others seem to like it.

I use a dodgy A4tech optical mouse. To make matters worse, it's used on a somewhat dirty and cluttered space, there's only around 90cm^2 of space for me to use this thing. I don't think it helps that the desk surface is veneer looking either. I hate it when there's grit in my mouse and the cursor flies out of my windowed osu! screen -_-
[deleted user]

Twilight in Zero wrote:

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me... What is it about the spacebar that makes using a mouse easier? :/
I believe the idea is that additional muscle movements are no longer necessary in your hand which allows for greater precision on controlling the crosshair.

I use a Wacom tablet while playing, but would certainly consider using the spacebar and mouse combo if it's included in future builds.
Oddbrother
Laser Mouse, and a slightly heavy one at that. :(
Fraeon
Using a Logitech G3. It's a nice mouse.
awp

Pixel wrote:

I use a Wacom tablet while playing,
Yup, me too. Center of my tablet has a lot of spinner smudges on it now, lol. And I just discovered this morning (k I'm slow) while playing on the mouse that you can utilize other buttons as clicks. While it's impractical to right-click on my pen itself, being able to alternate pentaps with the Ctrl key will make those guitar solos easier. I was actually going to request this but someone went ahead and implemented it already, heh.
peppy

awp wrote:

Yup, me too. Center of my tablet has a lot of spinner smudges on it now, lol. And I just discovered this morning (k I'm slow) while playing on the mouse that you can utilize other buttons as clicks. While it's impractical to right-click on my pen itself, being able to alternate pentaps with the Ctrl key will make those guitar solos easier. I was actually going to request this but someone went ahead and implemented it already, heh.
This has been mentioned before, but it may be wise to place a piece of thin paper on top of the tablet to make sure you dont burn a hole through the protective plastic!

Do you guys with tablets adjust the tablet->screen mapping region? I know i set the active area on the tablet lower than usual to get the sensitivity required (although can you do this with mouse sensitivity options in osu now? i haven't tried using a tablet lately)
awp
First of all, don't worry, I don't press hard, and the marks are akin to those on my DS touch-screen: I can just wipe them off with my finger or a tissue or something.

Second point: I didn't adjust any settings anywhere. I just picked up my pen and tablet and go. I noticed you needed a larger movement than usual but it was still pretty modest so I just got used to it. The way it works now is just fine, I think. (At least for me.)
TiZ
Does a tablet do absolute motion? I know that for me, using SynAbs, if the sensitivity on osu! is anything other than 1.0x, the cursor flickers like crazy. If I had to guess, it's because the position of the cursor is set twice; once by the program, and then twice after osu! scales the change in position. Just a guess, though.

I'm just wondering, because the same thing might happen using a graphics tablet (though I've never used one before).
awp
I haven't actually paid much attention to the details. My tablet works like a DS touch screen with respect to positioning. If your pen is at the bottom right of the tablet, your cursor will be too, irregardless of where it was before. But when playing osu!, I've never actually touched outside of the game window before (I play on 640x480), so I'm not actually sure whether osu! acts as its own monitor for cursor positioning or not. As bad a practice as it is, I haven't bothered to mess around with it since it worked perfectly off the get-go.
TiZ
You play it windowed? I actually play mine fullscreen.
Topic Starter
Loginer
So now I've bought a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. Doesn't get much better than this. :3

Well, except for using a tablet. <_<
awp

Loginer wrote:

Well, except for using a tablet. <_<
It gets better than that. Full-blown touch-screen OS.