forum

[duplicate] Mapping Idea For Sliders

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Yui Fujiwara
To state my idea, there are moments that when mapping a reverse slider and it goes back once. I feel it would be better if the slider velocity were to be set to 0.50x on the way over and then 1.25x on the way back and actually works accordingly. Also working vise versa, instead slow to fast, fast to slow.

An explanation, if a part of a song worked well for a slider and that part was a measure and a half long. You would put the reverse arrow on the end of the measure and with the sv change mark would be on the end of the measure with the reverse arrow. The sv mark would change from say 0.75x to 1.50x

Hopefully this makes sense...
Jukkii
well, it would be unreadable, you cant anticipate this change in any way.
Seijiro
Your idea makes sense, in concept only tho.
In practice it is both unreadable (there would be nothing, but really nothing telling me such change) and a really big re-structure of how .osu are parsed (basically, timing sections affect the slider only "before or exactly when" the slider starts. Everything other timing sections affects volume only if placed after the slider start)
abraker

MrSergio wrote:

and a really big re-structure of how .osu are parsed (basically, timing sections affect the slider only "before or exactly when" the slider starts. Everything other timing sections affects volume only if placed after the slider start)
Pretty sure ppy mentioned about restructuring the .osu files somewhere (don't quote me on it though).

If you are talking about changing SV and sections of the sliders, why not make it any section? I also would want an option to map gradient SV change so you can make longer sliders speed up or slow down as they get towards the end.

MrSergio wrote:

In practice it is both unreadable
It will be as unreadable as the mapper makes it to be. It can also be made very well readable. While OP's example is unreadable (or at least hard to read), consider a long slider that gently decreases or increases SV by small intervals.

There seems to be a trend where adding more control to how things can be mapped automatically sends off red alarms that maps will be unreadable. Just ignore those gimmick shenanigans if you hate them and enjoy the maps made by mappers that know how to twist and turn knobs correctly.

Also duplicate: t/358475
Topic Starter
Yui Fujiwara

-Jukke- wrote:

well, it would be unreadable, you cant anticipate this change in any way.
Slider ticks? Or straight up reaction.
Topic Starter
Yui Fujiwara

abraker wrote:

If you are talking about changing SV and sections of the sliders, why not make it any section? I also would want an option to map gradient SV change so you can make longer sliders speed up or slow down as they get towards the end.
Even though it's not the same, you can use the red points to make them go back and forth and basically slow them down.....

abraker wrote:

There seems to be a trend where adding more control to how things can be mapped automatically sends off red alarms that maps will be unreadable. Just ignore those gimmick shenanigans if you hate them and enjoy the maps made by mappers that know how to twist and turn knobs correctly.
Twisting and turning them correctly is suuuuuu difficult. Exactly what Monstrata did with that one Aspire map.......
Topic Starter
Yui Fujiwara
I know it's past the point, but I was mapping (Wow, no way) and I came across a point that this would work. In my eyes away ways.

So, I'm using the mp3 from Kroytz' xi - Ascension To Heaven map and at 00:20:242 - 00:22:642 and then from 00:22:642 - 00:23:842

Obviously, the timing measurements are half, when comparing the first set of times to the second, but the bigger thing I want to note, of which is why I posted this topic in the first place, is to note the music's mood change at 00:20:242 - 00:22:642 and then from 00:22:642 - 00:23:842 which then leads to the the build up to the main part of the song literally a measure and a half later after 00:23:842

I'm guessing that this still isn't an idea valid for osu! right now or ever, but I wanted to make my cause for posting this topic, to have an example that makes sense.

Thank you abreaker, MrSergio, and -Jukke- for commenting on this topic.
Bara-
It's already marked as duplicate, no need to post here
Post in the thread Abraker linked
Topic Starter
Yui Fujiwara

Bara- wrote:

It's already marked as duplicate, no need to post here
Post in the thread Abraker linked
kk, ty for letting me know.