forum

Mouse players and mouse drift

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Futon
For those who have mouse drift and experience their mouses slipping out of their hands, what dpi do you play on? And for those who don't, let us know your dpi as well. Also it would be great if you guys tell me what grip you are using (fingertip, claw, palm grips).

I'm assuming those with high mouse dpi have less chance of experience mouse drift and having it slip from their hand. Also I assume for palm grip players, since the mouse is completely trapped within your entire hand, the mouse won't slip even if your mouse drifts so it shouldn't be a problem.
Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I have a lot of problem with my mouse slipping out of my hand so I might learn how to play at a higher dpi (currently 1350 dpi with fingertip grip). Is that a good idea?
PinkNightmares

Futon wrote:

I have a lot of problem with my mouse slipping out of my hand so I might learn how to play at a higher dpi (currently 1350 dpi with fingertip grip). Is that a good idea?
From my experience mouse drift is a problem even when using extremely high dpi.
Frikandel
I have palmgrip and use between 800-1000 dpi, mousedrift only a pain on extreme maps. What happens is that I find my mouse 20 cm further to the right halfway on those map and then I quickly need to find a moment to reset it otherwise I will fail the song. It's impossible to aim in a bad angle like that especially with my already bad aim.
I Give Up
800dpi fingertip grip (as in only finger tips touch the mouse). As a player who used 400dpi ~ 1600dpi my experience is that higher dpi is speed and puts more strain on fingers, lower dpi is control and puts more strain on forearm.

You said your grip is slipping so I suggest lowering your dpi, this should relieve some tension on your fingers and give you a little more room to shuffle your fingers a bit while playing. Good luck.
dung eater
it's more noticeable at lower dpi, but i've noticed it gets less annoying/noticeable (might be lessened by you getting used to keeping mouse at constant angle) if you stick to playing with whatever dpi you use.

i've been switching between 200 and 300 dpi
Paneiru
I notice a lot of mouse drift, but that's probably because I use my wrist a bit too much rather than using my fingers for moving. Using 800 dpi and I'm not too sure what kind of grip I'm using as of now after I recently switched mouse. I used fingertip grip before with my Roccat Kone pure, but i guess it's more like a claw grip now.
chainpullz

jaaakb wrote:

it's more noticeable at lower dpi, but i've noticed it gets less annoying/noticeable (might be lessened by you getting used to keeping mouse at constant angle) if you stick to playing with whatever dpi you use.

i've been switching between 200 and 300 dpi
Highlighted for relevance. Drift caused by rotation of device is intended functionality of a mouse. Even if you were to add a gyroscope into a mouse to account for rotations you'd just end up with rotational drift which I posit would be 100x more annoying. Basically when you integrate any sort of discrete data you are going to get some amount of drift but as long as you aren't actively rotating your device this contribution to "mouse drift" is not overly significant.

I hear haxwell doesn't have to deal with drift but he.... uhh.... plays with something absurd like 3.6k dpi or something. Turns out when you barely move your mouse much to begin with it doesn't drift a whole lot. :? :? :?