forum

Starting alternating

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Alex3i2
Hello guys , i want to start alternating , and i need some help
I want to mention i never played alternate , i tried today like 2 hours , and i did very very bad . Also at streaming , if i hit a circle or a slider with first key (Z) , and then it came a stream , instead to XZX i always do ZXZ

If anyone wants to give me some maps or tips .
Have a nice day
Ty
Raniemi
Go down a few difficulties where you can force yourself to comfortably alternate.

- It's okay to start a stream or slider with a certain finger
winber1
could help to try single tapping with your non-dominant finger, and i mean also starting stream bursts with that finger as well
Jaredseg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it generally true that you should single tap and not start a habit of alternating if you can?
StephOsu

Jaredseg wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it generally true that you should single tap and not start a habit of alternating if you can?
both are a legitimate playstyle with perks on each side
Xyrus_old_1

Jaredseg wrote:

It is false. Either playstyle is fine.
Nikopai
I personally find that alternating really decreases my accuracy, but what I found out that works, is to single tap everything except sliders streams and bursts.
Topic Starter
Alex3i2

Jaredseg wrote:

I practice alternate for DT maps or for fast maps which i can't single tap ( hey kids- god of speed for example)
LucyAkuzumi
If what you mean by alternating is tapping z and x alternatively after every note, well, I think that would just confuse your brain and you. As a player of both alternating and singletapping, I think alternating is only good depending on the note pattern like for example I prefer alternating when there are multiple sliders coming in one after the other or a single note followed by a slider or vice versa. Also, I think alternating (this is based on my experience of playing osu for 3 years) gives the player more stamina and makes them last longer when playing unlike singletapping where you can sometimes strain your finger. I use singletapping for consecutive single notes.

To put it simply, try getting used to being able to use either fingers no matter the note pattern. Have the mindset to hit that note no matter what, doesn't matter which finger you use, as long as it feels right and not confusing for you.

I'm no pro player and I don't know if I even have the right to give tips to someone of higher ranking than me but please don't judge me. :v

Here's a sample video of my playstyle: https://youtu.be/11CzlI2W1ls
Topic Starter
Alex3i2

LucyAkuzumi wrote:

I'm no pro player and I don't know if I even have the right to give tips to someone of higher ranking than me but please don't judge me. :v
Lol of course you have the right
Thanks a lot for help!
Railey2
there are perfect alternators and imperfect alternators.

The perfect alternators can play every pattern starting with whatever finger they want, the imperfect ones only have muscle memory for playing (lets say triples) starting with one finger (always xzx, never zxz)

Many of the pro players are actually imperfect alternators. I don't think that sticking with the zxz poses a significant disadvantage, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Imperfect alternating is still totally fine in the vast majority of cases.

Generally, if you want to get better at alternating, play slower maps and increase the tempo gradually. HT mod can come in handy here.
Topic Starter
Alex3i2

Railey2 wrote:

there are perfect alternators and imperfect alternators.

The perfect alternators can play every pattern starting with whatever finger they want, the imperfect ones only have muscle memory for playing (lets say triples) starting with one finger (always xzx, never zxz)

Many of the pro players are actually imperfect alternators. I don't think that sticking with the zxz poses a significant disadvantage, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Imperfect alternating is still totally fine in the vast majority of cases.

Generally, if you want to get better at alternating, play slower maps and increase the tempo gradually. HT mod can come in handy here.
Thanks! I will start practice my fav maps HT