forum

[resolved] Mapping contest with time limit and maybe livestreaming

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Sinistro
Very inelegant topic title, I know.

The idea has been mentioned a couple of times in conversations with the rest of the staff, and it seems to be generally regarded as interesting, so might as well lay it down here for more feedback/to remind everyone who's already heard of it.

Basically, competitors have to make a map (probably a single difficulty) within a time limit (less than an hour? An/some hours? One day?) and where possible, their progress is streamed live for other users to see. I seem to recall requests for an editor spectator, so this might be a substitute of sorts. The time limit will test the ability of mappers to make a decent map under pressure, so it could prove an interesting/challenging variation. Plus the whole thing ends sooner than other mapping contests, so less waiting.

Now, probably the most likely version would have the song revealed to all contestants at the same time and a timer starting, but that would mess up the international scale because of time zones (unless the limit was like, one day, but that's a bit too long for my taste). Alternatively, we could allow for a longer period (a week) during which every participant would have to record their editing progress in a continuous video whose duration would be under the limit, but that has disadvantages like a) it's still possible to cheat in this way, b) it restricts entry to people with pcs able to handle recording, c) it's not as exciting as getting to watch the editing in real time.

Anyway, thoughts?
mm201
m980 would win every time.
Mashley
Sounds like a laugh, I'd definitely enter
0_o
I've actually been thinking recently that it would be neat to watch a livestream of a mapping process. Really cool idea, I would definitely take part.

Regarding the timezone situation, what if there were four hour-long mapping timeslots spread throughout a 24-hour period (so one timeslot every six hours), and each mapper could pick a timeslot to map in?

EDIT: Well actually, with this system you would need to have four different songs so the mappers in the later timeslots don't have an advantage.. maybe make it two timeslots with two songs?
Soaprman
I would love to see something like this. Not sure if I could be counted on to be around to participate, but I don't really mind playing audience so much.

0_o's idea with the time slots is probably the most feasible way to keep this fair. It'd still probably exclude some people, but we could always just use different time slots in a future contest... it's not like this has to be the only contest!

Here's another idea... why do a contest? Why not something collaborative? I don't know how many people around here still play Doom (it's true, people still play Doom), but this reminds me a bit of something the guys at Doomworld do occasionally... something called 32in24, where people get together and make a complete 32-map pack in 24 hours. Nothing really refined comes from it but it's often a fun play. Maybe we could band together and pick some random album and map the entire thing in a day, then throw it up as a map pack.

I'd star this if I wasn't a stooge who spammed all my stars as soon as we got the ability to star requests.
OzzyOzrock
That would be amazing
RandomJibberish
This sounds like a really fun idea. I guess the issue is that some styles are less suited to mapping in an hour (coughminecough) than others, and my computer is pretty shit for streaming. I'd try my best to take part though!
LuigiHann
Sounds like a good idea for the last round or two of a bracketed tournament, when you have a relatively small number of very compelling mappers remaining.