forum

Ben Rector - Brand New

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hawnta
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Yeen
Hey! So, a mutual friend of ours said I should take a listen to your song and play the beat-map... and I did... and was impressed! Though I understand that you're still laying the circles down, I had some advice to give you about 'quality of play' sort of elements, instead of the beats themselves, strictly speaking.

To begin with, make sure you've got a map difficulty that's below 2.5 planned! Since your song is not considered a 'marathon' (it's about a minute short) it'll need multiple difficulties and one of those difficulties must be below 2.5 (or Easy/Normal).

Anyways, onto my points.

I wanted to mention that your timing and beat-placement is good, however, to make this map even more playable, take heed of my advice.

Dial back the approach rate to 8.5... I know, I know, you want that edgy, high adrenaline 9.2 AR... HOWEVER it just doesn't work with the BPM (pace) of the song.

With all this fast-paced jumping and streaming, the weary player will want a break from your map. I'd recommend placing this brake between 02:53:173 and 03:06:412, or the chill part where the guy is just going 'oh oh oh'...

Finally... it looks like you didn't use the beat-snapper enough in your beat-map. The jumps are good in some places, but bad in others. The beat-snapper will fix all of your problems. I'm going to base this off of a hunch, but try re-enabling your snapper (called Distance Snap on the HUD of the editor) and enact the following changes as you re-snap all your beats.

You can change the beat snap distance by hovering over the Beat-snap divisor in the top right of your screen and clicking ALT on the time signature. A new box will appear, and this is what you will manipulate.

2.8x @01:00:02

2x @01:26:085

2.5x @01:40:358

2.8x @02:06:215

2.5x @02:32:073

And so on as you map the song, altering that snapper multiplier as you go to keep in pattern.

Anyways, if you enact these changes, I think your map will be well on it's way to qualifying for rankage! If you have any further questions, PM me or reply to this post.

~Zx

PS: If you found my advice useful, don't forget to shoot me a kudosu! I'm saving up to go to disneyland! ;)
Topic Starter
Hawnta
2 things:
1. I am planning for more diffs on this map, so that part's already done.
And 2:

zxoe wrote:

Dial back the approach rate to 8.5... I know, I know, you want that edgy, high adrenaline 9.2 AR... HOWEVER it just doesn't work with the BPM (pace) of the song.
Heh, fun fact, that mutual friend of ours actually was the one that told me to bump up the AR. Just wanted to say that was kinda funny.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! :D
Yeen

Hawnta wrote:

2 things:
1. I am planning for more diffs on this map, so that part's already done.
And 2:

zxoe wrote:

Heh, fun fact, that mutual friend of ours actually was the one that told me to bump up the AR. Just wanted to say that was kinda funny.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! :D
Woah! how did you make me earn two kudosu's? I was told (though I'm certainly not complaining) that I'd only receive one if you deemed my advice helpful.

Thanks a lot! If you want to check out the beat-map I'm working on ATM, swing over to https://osu.ppy.sh/s/507035 and take a gander!
Topic Starter
Hawnta
So, a couple updates:

-Did some tweaks to Brand New
-Hitsounded Brand New
-Added Easy

Expect more!
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.