Thoughts on NGP[PSP2]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MDuh
BakaWolfy
omg I want it soooo bad! >.< It looks awesome that article got me to excited xP
Mashley
I wonder how ridiculous the price will be. The 3DS will certainly own this sales-wise, no doubt about it.
Behon
Does it even have an official name, or are they still flip-flopping between NGP and PSP2?
Hiyorin
I think portable gaming should be more casual, the NGP has too much horsepower
If you want that level of graphics or gameplay I see buying a console a much better option imo
Loginer

FruitTingles wrote:

I think portable gaming should be more casual, the NGP has too much horsepower
Because as we all know, you can't have "casual" games on a platform unless it's weak enough.

FruitTingles wrote:

If you want that level of graphics [...] I see buying a console a much better option imo
Why? Did good graphics kill your parents or something? Did they molest you as a child? Why would you rather have bad graphics on a handheld?

FruitTingles wrote:

or gameplay
If complex and immersive games weren't desirable on a handheld, we'd all be gaming on iPhones.
adam2046

FruitTingles wrote:

I don't like progress.
Behon
They might have a point; too much new expensive hardware could make the hardware ridiculously expensive to buy. Remember what happened with the PS3?
Hiyorin

Loginer wrote:

gaming on iPhones
I just got outed :S

Portable gaming can only be so immersive and I think tossing birds around is enough to keep one entertained long enough to go home or wherever and play games on a console where they can play whatever graphics intensive or engaging game
adam2046

FruitTingles wrote:

Portable gaming can only be so immersive and I think tossing birds around is enough to keep one entertained long enough to go home or wherever and play games on a console where they can play whatever graphics intensive or engaging game
Sure, if you want to think of portable gaming only as a distraction while you're taking a bus, then play your disposable ipod games. You almost always get what you pay for; a fun little time waster that you will most likely discard the minute you're done with it.
And it's not like the NGP wont have shit casual games.
awp
Uncharted for PSP2 looks uncomfortable to play in that tech demo. I do not want to have to switch between buttons and touchscreen during action segments because it is clumsy, dangerous, and poor in terms of usability. Not to mention occasionally ambiguous. Moving a scope by moving the system I can get behind because it doesn't require you to change your grip on the system, but it would have limitations in a crowded area and also be harder to get away with when being played in a lecture hall or cubicle where you shouldn't be playing it in the first place
Azure_Kite
It would be interesting to see what gets done with this, but for the meantime, I'm quite content to play Tactics Ogre, Duodecim and DJMax on my PSP.
LuigiHann

Loginer wrote:

Why would you rather have bad graphics on a handheld?
I think the point is that when handheld systems get too advanced, they start to cost as much as (or more than) the "real" home consoles, and basically people expect to pay less for portable stuff than they do for real stuff. I wouldn't suggest that they should intentionally throttle the graphics processor for the hell of it, but I think it's reasonable to point out that the 3DS at $250 is probably the most expensive handheld that many people are willing to buy, so if Sony is putting $350 worth of hardware into the NGP they're going to have trouble selling it in a way that makes sense.

If complex and immersive games weren't desirable on a handheld, we'd all be gaming on iPhones.
If the iPhone had some decent buttons and a d-pad it'd basically be the perfect portable game system.
Azure_Kite
As long as I can music, video, game and homebrew, I'm fine.

That being said, I use my DS as a chunky mp3 player.
Ivalset
The NGP will likely be shitty for the first four years or so, then it'll get a fuckin' amazing lineup of games and everyone will be forced to buy it out of sheer awesomeness (and reduced cost).
DawnII
There are already price rumors floating around, that the Wifi model will be 250 and the 3G model 350.

Also awp, the Uncharted tech demos are just showcasing alternative control schemes. You can still climb, jump, etc with conventional input.
Behon

Ivalset wrote:

The NGP will likely be shitty for the first four years or so, then it'll get a fuckin' amazing lineup of games and everyone will be forced to buy it out of sheer awesomeness (and reduced cost).
So you're saying that it will only be good for a year or two before its inevitable successor? The DS wasn't like that at all.
Loginer

LuigiHann wrote:

I think the point is that when handheld systems get too advanced, they start to cost as much as (or more than) the "real" home consoles, and basically people expect to pay less for portable stuff than they do for real stuff.
The current generation of consoles is not going away any time soon. If the NGP gains enough developer support, it might end up doubling as a serious substitute for a stationary console.

LuigiHann wrote:

I think it's reasonable to point out that the 3DS at $250 is probably the most expensive handheld that many people are willing to buy, so if Sony is putting $350 worth of hardware into the NGP they're going to have trouble selling it in a way that makes sense.
The components of the 3DS are worth roughly $100, so it's very much possible for Sony to compete at the same price point if they're willing to sell early NGP's at a small loss. And I'm sure plenty of gamers would be willing to pay $300 or more for a launch NGP if Sony make sure it actually has a solid lineup of games available on day one.

LuigiHann wrote:

If the iPhone had some decent buttons and a d-pad it'd basically be the perfect portable game system.
Agreed, but the reality is that it only has a single good game (Infinity Blade) after almost four years on the market. As far as serious smartphone gaming goes, I'm more optimistic about the future of PlayStation Certified phones like the Xperia Play.
Ivalset

Behonkiss wrote:

Ivalset wrote:

So you're saying that it will only be good for a year or two before its inevitable successor? The DS wasn't like that at all.
Who said anything about the DS?

I was relating it to the PSP. I thought that was pretty clear. The last few years for DS has been pretty unremarkable anyway, while the PSP lineup in 2010 and 2011 has been nothing short of incredible.
awp

Ivalset wrote:

I was relating it to the PSP. I thought that was pretty clear. The last few years for DS has been pretty unremarkable anyway, while the PSP lineup in 2010 and 2011 has been nothing short of incredible.
I thought so, too.

I never noticed the dry spell of the PSP's early years because a week after I got mine I had SNES/PSX running on mine and that's a goldmine of good titles
Akai-Moeru
The price won't really matter to me unless it's absurdely high (extremely close to the PS3). If the system has amazing features that makes the PSP obsolete and is worth the price, I will be happy to sell my PSP and buy the NGP once I save up enough money.
Sup A Noob
I'm considering getting it, but only after a few revisions, price drops and cracks. After all, I have a PC and a PS3 to make me not feel desperate to buy one (though the lineup of games in the PSP had me wanting)

Speaking of PSP, is the NGP backwards compatible?
adam2046
Most likely only with download content.
Loginer
Uncharted.
Bioshock.
Little Big Planet.
Street Fighter X Tekken.
$249.

Nintendo is finished.
Ivalset
AT&T!!!!!
Neo@lex
I was sold the very moment I heard the name.
awp

Ivalset wrote:

AT&T!!!!!
so what the PSV is a phone too?

Someone pointed out somewhere that the Vita was the fifth playstation-brand product and Vita's a very fitting name:

PS1
PS2
PS3
PSP
PSV

V being a roman numeral
LuigiHann
$249 is a very surprising competitive price point. Gonna be some fighting when it comes out
Sup A Noob
It's helluva expensive in Japan though.
Mashley
Can't really argue with a price like that. I'll be watching this.
Rantai
I was looking at the Vita (E3 stuff) and saw it's price. I must admit I was surprised at it's cost (I expected at least $300). Then I had a conversation with a few people and they were all shouting it's praises for being that cheap but being able to dish out that much power, I was almost convinced.

But then as I was holding my legs in the corner, realising that my newly bought PSP was going to become obsolete and didn't have anyway to save it's stuff yet, I thought, "Wait a minute! If I buy a memory stick it's going to cost me $55. That just brought my PSP price up to $225."

Back to the Vita.

Ok so it's price is $249 for the standard one but when you factor in the price of the memory stick... I don't think the price is all that flashy anymore. Granted that $55 was for a 16gb stick (Aus pricing here, mind you). Who knows what the memory cards that the Vita uses will cost (I am assuming they are using new cards).

Seeing as this has been bugging me for a bit I have turned to a third party for another opinion, what do you guys/girls think about it? Am I being too skeptical and should lay down and surrender to the powerhouse that is Sony?

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to actually reading/watching past the announcement day so maybe my questions have been answered but I need to sleep.
Ivalset
I use a 2gb stick for my psp. I don't remember how much I paid for it back then, but they're like ten bucks now.

Then again, I don't use portable consoles for their portability.
Haseo_old
I hope it won't break easily like the PSPGo.
[DG2L]YungYeezy
I thought it was the shit. It out did the 3DS in my book. You have 2 analog sticks, 2 touch screens, and has wifi and 3G*.
All for the same price for a 3DS. But that was my opinion, so you don't really need to take it seriously.

*With 3G, its 50 bucks more.
awp
PSP was an emulation beast. As long as that homebrew community embraces the PSV likewise, it'll be good, because the PSP couldn't handle N64/PS2. And if the PSV can handle PS2, it's going to be an amazing handheld.
Azure_Kite

awp wrote:

And if the PSV can handle PS2, it's going to be an amazing handheld.

Completely agree with you here.