forum

mouse precision mode - what does it do exactly? [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jalatiphra
Hi there (peppy? :), most likely this question was asked before, but i didnt find anything with the search function.

only thing i can get from the postings is: turn it of or on if you got your mouse doing shit.

I'd like to know what exactly does the mouseprecision mode?

i mean the math thingy; )

does it some kind of interpolation? what kind of?

i just need some keywords the rest i can google.

thank you
ziin
mouse precision, as it exists in windows and I presume osu! modifies how your mouse is moved based on the velocity of the mouse movement.

Precision is essentially slows your mouse down if you move slowly. This is immensely useful when accuracy and precision are paramount, since you can accurately and precisely select the exact pixel you want. The problem is that it is slow.

Turning off precision (or acceleration, the opposite of mouse precision) means that regardless of how fast you move your mouse, it will always move the same distance. This is immensely useful when precision is required in a short amount of time, but accuracy is not all that necessary.

Since osu! has large circles, you don't have to be very accurate, but you have to be able to hit the circle quickly.

Google keywords would be mouse precision or mouse acceleration.

Pretty much every gamer turns off acceleration or precision.
mm201
It scales your mouse speed exponentially. So when you move your mouse fast, your cursor moves MUCH faster. Another way of looking at it, if you move your cursor all the way across the screen slowly, your mouse will be moved further across than if you had moved your cursor quickly. Some players can't deal with the latter effect, so they turn it off.

You may need to disable it in Windows instead of osu! depending on your configuration.
Topic Starter
Jalatiphra
ok , iam familiar with mouse acceleration , but never heard of the opposite, iam quite in the picture now, thanks..

so here come the follow up questions -

iam a little confused as turning OFF mouse precision in the osu options returns in the decribed effects of yours when turning it ON.. the mouse does not move linear.

in windows i turned off mouse acceleration, too, and my mouse driver software inherits the windows settings.

So this is what it should be: with mouse acceleration off and precision off: regardless of what speed i move : 1 inch mouse movent is X Pixel change, 2 inch is 2X Pixel -.- linear

and if i turn off mouse acceleration in windows and enable mouse precision mode: ingame jumps would need less distance to move the mouse then with precision off (asuming the same speed)

question 1 : would turn on acc and precision result in linear movement because of both canceling each other out? if yes - somewhere in my system i should have mouse acc turned on , that way i could expect the described observations below:
--------------------
these are the settings i use : (mouse prec on ingame, windows accel off) iam sure i couldn jump that well with artificial slowed down movements - these settings feel like linear movement. but i shouldnt have that movement due to the options.

question 2 :whats wrong here?

----maybe these info will be helpfull ----
My standart settings i play with:
windows mouse acc: off
ingame prec mode: on
osu mouse speed 0.5x
mouse dpi 4000
--> feels linear

a few observations.
If i put osu mouse speed to 0.5 and my mouse DPI to 4000 (which is my standart) and turn off mouse precision mode - the mouse cursor doesnt move at all if i move the mouse very slowly - really no movement AT ALL.

and if i move fast (precision off!) and try to make a straight line from left to right ( which is impossible (100% straight pixel line)) - the mouse doesnt move up or down - its like all the minimal shaking up and down gets filtered out - i get a 100% straight line of the cursor... . if i try to play that way it looks like auto mode ... if i hit...which i dont

last but not least : i asume that changing mouse DPI can only result in a linear increase/decrease of traveldistance in relation to mouse distance , but not acceleration.
again: changing mouse dpi lets me swtich (ingame)from linear movement to acceleration without chaning any ingame or windows options...
in windows mouse only gets faster / slower.

so either my observations are terribly fucked up or i really get it all wrong or something is inverting the settings for me (build in mouse precision maybe? ...)

i dont get it at all
Intermezzo
Mouse precision mode of osu! should not be confused with the 'enhance mouse precision' option of windows!

In the current setup of osu! all position delta's are rounded after each pass. This means that after each frame the cursor's relative position to its previous state is multiplied by the sensitivity factor and then rounded before being added to the previous position. The problem with this setup is that you lose accuracy. As example: moving your mouse by one pixel twice with a sensitivity of 0.5 would make your cursor effectively stop moving, as the delta's are rounded to zero.

To improve the setup the cursor position is stored with decimal accuracy when mouse precision mode is enabled. This means that the position delta's are not rounded but are added directly to the cursorposition. While I felt this was more of a bugfix than a feature, the option was added as some very experienced players may have grown accustomed to the default behavior.
Topic Starter
Jalatiphra
<--- MIND BLOWN

thanks that describes pretty much all the behaviour

so metalmario and ziin confused it with another option called precision mode too, but is something completely different and not implemented in osu ?

because nearly everybody advising to turn off mouse acceleration in windows for new players, it would be illogical to revert these changes with an ingame option activating it again just the other way round..

its rounding turning on off! THANK YOU VERY MUCH

just to be sure: why would anyone recommend to turn off mouse precision ( i read this in many threads)

secondly - why does my mouse suck with 120 FPS and 60 FPS limted? it lags. yeah i know why. but it also does not recognize mouse movement completely, just like 0,5x speed prec off and acc off.

this should be a rounding error , too ?
FrostFyr
The talking of Windows precision mode helped me find out that i actually have it, no wonder i kept thinking my mouse was leaving the table.
peppy
Intermezzo made this feature, so his description is about the most accurate you will get here :). It should probably be added to a FAQ entry (or the tooltip?).