forum

Aggregate popularity measure for beatmaps [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
akrolsmir
When I look for new maps I try to select ones that other people think are good. In other words, maps with high rankings. However, high rankings can be misleading, especially since maps created recently tend to hold temporary, high values. Another measure I end up using is number of plays, with the reasoning that a map that has a high ranking and also a large number of plays has been evaluated more and thus is likely to be better.

So I'm proposing that when looking at the Beatmap Listing, an option be added to sort beatmaps by their "Popularity", which is a measure that takes into account both ranking and number of plays. This could be based on a formula similar to the ones used by IMDB and My Anime List (apparently a Bayesian estimator, although my math isn't up to that level yet). Alternatively, it could implement something like the weighted system for mapper ranking, although I'm unsure of how that works.

Other factors that could influence popularity might include plays per day or pass/fail ratio.

So, thoughts?
blissfulyoshi
Sort of already mentioned and discussed before: viewtopic.php?p=613597#p613597

Since I am not sure it is exactly the same, I won't deny it yet.
James2250

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Sort of already mentioned and discussed before: viewtopic.php?p=613597#p613597

Since I am not sure it is exactly the same, I won't deny it yet.
Yeah I immediately thought of that thread when I saw this

The other thread might have some slightly more complicated equations and explanations for it but its the same basic idea, another way of measuring how popular maps are while not simply basing it off of 1 value

If you want to add anything new to that thread go ahead and post your ideas on it (or actually get it back on topic) but I don't think we need another thread mentioning it