forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 39: Crumpled Sliders

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love Them!
27.23%
4 -
26.76%
3 -
20.19%
2 -
13.62%
1 - Hate Them!
12.21%
Total votes: 213
show more
RandomJibberish
Can be used well, but I usually wouldn't use them myself and they're often either used out of place or the crumples aren't obvious enough (the crumples aren't as easy to see with MMsliders)
GladiOol
Only if used well, it will look and play nice.

But this rarely never happens, so voted a 2.
NotShinta

RandomJibberish wrote:

(the crumples aren't as easy to see with MMsliders)
This is my main problem with them. Plus, it annoys me when they don't fit that point in the song at all, which they usually do not. Otherwise, cool.
Xgor

RandomJibberish wrote:

(the crumples aren't as easy to see with MMsliders)
They are still pretty easy to notice imo, the slider border looks way too different to not to notice
mm201
Not that they're any clearer with peppysliders. And it doesn't really matter what the slider does in the crumpled bit.
FireballFlame

They can be awesome if used right, as they allow changing slider speeds in an easily visible way, even in the middle of a slider.
Check out the end of this map :D
ziin
these border on the line of unrankable for me. 2
OzzyOzrock
Only when they're made EVENLY. Like, the way DJPop made them in Gekishou is awesome. When it's just stupid like the examples in the first post, 1.

But if done right like I said, 5.
Lilac
3 Little Words one was kinda iffy, I'll give you that.

Party People was, probably, ten times better than how it should be used in Gekishou. There's no vibrato or even real change in pitch between the two sliders during when it was used...hence Gekishou isn't a great example of Crumpled Slider usage.

Also note that faster SVs and BPMs make this technique better. Which makes Xgor's one kinda...meh.
Case by case basis, really.

EDIT: Actually, Xgor's crumpled sliders that's pictured in the first post is actually great. Though, the other ones he used where it was only crumpled near the beginning...that was pretty bad.
OzzyOzrock
Is there a difference between a crumpled slider and what is shown in Gekishou?

Guh, looked at Gekishou again, and it's not as great as I remember, but either way it looks better to me.

EDIT: Yeah, XGor's isn't that bad.
Lilac

Lilac wrote:

hence Gekishou isn't a great example of Crumpled Slider usage.

Lilac wrote:

Crumpled Slider usage.

Lilac wrote:

usage.
OzzyOzrock
Now it doesn't even look like a word!
Lilac
B-But it is!
Ekoro
Bleh , looks ugly for me

Krisom

FireballFlame wrote:

Check out the end of this map :D
Oh hey thanks :3

Yeah, they can be used awesomely or horribly, pretty much like every mapping technique. I personally hate when the end and start of the slider are not alligned correcctly or if the overlap, wich happens a lot, so I'll just vote a 3...
Firo Prochainezo
They're all right, but I hate to see them when they don't fit the music. A 3 from me.
ShaggoN
In my mapping it's useful sometimes. When there is slowdown, or speedup for single slider, i use it to make slider look different from the others and prevent it to be confusing.
Aoitenshi
I no see point how useful is it.

I just hate it when they are crumpled in one place, ruins timing.

2/5
theowest
UGLY!! ;__; But a few.. are good.
emergist
I don't think it is cool, so I voted 2 here.
smoogipoo
They can be used very well to denote a start to a speed-up, but too often are they used for other purposes in which they ruin the map and don't look all that great... It takes a good amount of work on them to make them fit the beatmap/song.
10crystalmask01
They can be ugly, they can be good but it really comes down to whether they're being used properly in a map. I'd often come across this type of sliders in certain beatmania maps such as these, since these types of songs will have that unique sort of....sound that goes along with the beat once in awhile. I'd (maybe) use it if I were to ever map such a song.

3/5