forum

cYsmix - Moonlight Sonata

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Okoratu
oh god im gonna be so stuck in trying to decipher what you mean if you walltext me
Bonsai

Okorin wrote:

oh god im gonna be so stuck in trying to decipher what you mean if you walltext me
I tried making it easier by including pictures of a piano, hope that helps
I'm so sorry
Topic Starter
Okoratu
for starters

which diff are you even talking about here
Bonsai

Edit:

Okorin's edit wrote:

thanks for editing and making this post useless
I edited that before you posted your second post!! >:(
Topic Starter
Okoratu

lol

so basically for that entrie kiai part what the piano does and what the drums do conflicts with each other, staying "on-beat" for the entire section would make this entire section really boring because musically it's among the most bland sections within this song

starting with 02:41:316 - :
i noticed, that contrary to the previous two measures there was nothing of real general interest like 02:37:566 (1,2,3,4,5) - just being suggested by music the way they are so i opted for switching to melody with 02:41:550 (2,3) -
the next melody peak is at 02:42:136 - which ignores a piano with its end but also is there for the purpose of separating the musical pattern in the middle of it by making it different.
02:41:901 (4) - being offbeat was necessary even though it doesn't fit what 02:41:667 (3) - lands on for that reason because playing double, triple, double just plays outright badly but i needed, as previously explained, to have the player keep clicking blue ticks
02:42:487 (6,7) - is same as 02:41:550 (2,3) - and with 02:42:839 (8,9) - i switched back to what the more or less bland drum pattern dictates

i do this throughout the entire kiai to highlight that both the piano and the drumline matter without getting too boring because it's essentially the same thing playing on repeat for 30 seconds

this was less a decision based on song structure but more one of mapdesign of that difficulty internally

[]

as for 02:38:386 (5,6) - i hear the same thing going on as for 01:12:124 (5,6) - except that there's a weird hold sound in the background track which is more interesting to follow than the foreground for the most part which 02:44:011 - doesn't have lol
Topic Starter
Okoratu

Bonsai wrote:

1. Now for some points applying to these the seciton at 00:31:929 and mostly also to 02:20:679 -

• The transition from the first two 4/4-combos to the offbeat-rhythms that you emphasize in the following two combos could be much smoother with just a really small change: Using this rhythm at the third combo. Please try it, the current one feels really unnatural and forced bc it is such a harsh change that goes from continuing the pure 4/4-rhythm to pure offbeat in just one object, 00:36:616 (3) -, but the change in the music doesn't feels that sudden to me at all since those offbeats have existed the whole time but they are continuously getting more noticable (and the original 4/4-rhythm continues to exist), and by mapping 00:35:679 (1,2) differently you would indicate that there is something different beginning to happen but it still feels like the original rhythm. but the difference is that the quads here are way more pronounced.....???
    1. The transition back to the 4/4-rhythm at 00:39:429 feels super underwhelming because the downbeat, which has a very special beat/sound on it, isn't emphasized at all, may I suggest replacing 00:39:194 (11,12) with a slider? the difference here is that you have to play a quad in order to reach it so just highlighting it via spacing is kinda meh as an idea imo
    2. The introduction of 00:43:296 (1) is pretty much the most uncomfortable thing I have ever played since it suddenly emphasizes the same rhythmic phrase 360° 180° differently idk how this is uncomfortable hence i dunno how to address it or make it less uncomfortable for that matter, i don't even have a clue what your issue with it is
    3. 00:45:405 (3,6,9) - Why are those mapped as sliders, you put an extremely significant gap at 00:45:054 which is a really cool thing but you make it seem random by mapping it again immediately afterwards.. :?: Just mapping them as circles and leaving those gaps would compliment this really well and also possibly emphasize 00:46:929 (1) more this is simply changing the ticks i follow as clickable by using a long enough timeline gap...??
  2. 01:37:554 (1,4) - Improper stack, DQ please, and don't you dare responding with "no thanks" :^)
I haven't looked at the other diffs but if you want more rhythmic advise (Doofnuss-kun praised my rhythm-choices in the first GMC, those were good times 8-) ) please hit me up, these few rhythm-issues ruined an otherwise really nice for me so I'd be happy to give more suggestions xd
how did this post twice oh well

tldr of both posts: i have no idea if doing anything in there is going to make the map any better, for the kiai issues im pretty much convinced that all that will do to the map is making it more bland and boring as a whole

for the rest i mostly don't see the issue with them at all so i'll have someone else decide if compromising here is necessary i guess
Bonsai
  1. @ your first response
    "playing double, triple, double just plays outright badly"
    The way I suggested fixing it (this) isn't 2-3-2, it's 2-3-3-2, which doesn't play poorly for me at all and you switch from doublets to triplets and quadruplets or back in quite many places so I don't see why that would only play bad here

You don't need to explain why you map melody, I am totally fine with not making it boring, but I'm saying that the way you did it is bad because half of the offbeat-sliders that you had to map because of that feel random and lead to the reasonable ones not being emphasized at all. The intention is clear, just the execution makes it play worse for me than any combination of doublets and triplets ever could

(and I never said anything against 02:38:386 (5,6) -, I actually suggested to use it again in a later place too xd)

2. @ quads being more pronounced: My point is that those quads get more pronounced smoothly, they are already more pronounced at 00:36:030 and 00:36:499 than they were before too, but you just map it as going from [zero pronounciation] to [a shitload of pronounciation] without anything in-between, which doesn't match the music and thus feels not fitting at all to me and just ripped me out of the song's and map's flow

3. @ introducing 00:43:296 (1) -: oh sorry I didn't finish writing that one bc I spotted the next one and forgot lol
    The reason why it feels uncomfortable is that the piano continues to have the exact same rhythmic phrase, having ascending notes from the first blue tick to the second blue tick, this phrase doesn't change in it's rhythmic or tonal component at all, it just changes intensity and synth-sound, as it always did (continuously instead of suddenly). But the map goes from [emphasizing the highest note the most and ignoring the white tick] to [emphasizing the lowest note the most and ignoring everything else but the white tick], which is pretty much the opposite, without any musical cue.

4. @ last point: Yeah I am completely fine with the gap ("which is a really cool thing") but my suggestion was to continue using this sort of gap like this bc the music isn't different at 00:45:054 than any of the following white ticks, that whoosh-sound is there all the time

Ich glaub du hast mich überhaupt nicht lieb, gell?
Topic Starter
Okoratu
@your first response response
i still don't like the thought of having no 1/2 slider in a measure it just feels wrong to do simply because a longer hold just highlights a thing and brings in a more varied feeling than going triple triple triple, but after actually finding out what you wanted me to do i'll give that a try and dq this if i like it more than the thing i currently have
edit: going from double into triple immediately without an 1/2 timeline separating them feels way worse than playing one offbeat slider which is the original reason for avoiding this entirely :/

@your quadcomplaint
but the point i switch to it is the point where they suddenly get louder and more pronounced in comparison...? this seems more a difference in how we interpret this song than anything

@introduction complaint
but im switching to the new thing that starts happening in here all of a sudden, which is offbeat drum triples, im not really aiming to have the player focus on the piano to begin with because all of these reverse sliders are offset on drums and the note between them also is drums so referring to the piano phrase being constant makes no sense when arguing about this for me

@last point point
you got taht wrong, i would have transitioned into that pattern with a slider if i could have made it switch the ticks im mapping in a user-friendly manner, but that didn't really work so i opted for gap in order to do these sliders ?_?

and it's not that im overly defensive here it's just that i feel like you put too much reasoning for each of your points which ultimately made them lose their worth as arguments because you can't read them in one go and still understand what you're talking about
Topic Starter
Okoratu
so in the end i'll dq this to change 00:43:296 - and 02:32:046 - in expert because not having the additional circles is actually more straightforward and provides more contrast

i'm still disagreeing on the stuff said about the kiai though and even after testing the alternative i feel like the way it is currently is more interesting, still follows the song and that having one offbeat slider is better than double -> triple and a lot of 1/4 sliders (as in the thing loses contrast)

ya, idk yet if this is all but i'll take it out of qualified for the time being

more input on that would be neat, basically according to bonsai:
02:41:316 - http://i.imgur.com/PtG24EN.png is better rhythm
and i'm thinking the current one is better because it doesn't force double into triple which is what i built the entire 30 second part around
Nozhomi

In the end I prefer as oko did for that section.
Topic Starter
Okoratu
changed previewpoint
Sonnyc
Nominated.
Yuii-
Myxo
Great stuff :oko_hand:
Varanox
Very good.
Karen
played for several times, everything feels very smooth and fun to play except 01:20:210 (8,9,10,11) - 01:27:710 (8,9,10,11) - this pattern lol, flows kinda bad :s
not a big issue, great map overall
Topic Starter
Okoratu
thanks~

i've heard mixed things about that pattern some love it, some hate it, i personally don't really struggle with it so even if i were to change this somehow i wouldn't know to what
dexwin9
how i can play a song for example of hastsune miku?
rorogogo
Uhmm... what?

dexwin9 wrote:

how i can play a song for example of hastsune miku?
Topic Starter
Okoratu
Search for a beatmap and download it i guess lol
Pachiru
step on me okoratu