forum

Public Test Build

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
In order to get more valuable feedback and decrease the turn-around time when fixing bugs, I have been wanting to make the test builds of osu! available to the public. This is now the case, and all osu! supporters can now access the test build. Read on for the full details!

Things to note:

1. It will be broken at times. If you don't want your osu! broken, then don't use it (before you complain, please!).
  2. It is not usable unless you are logged in to a supporter account.
  3. There is a possibility it will force an update, instantly closing osu!. This is a security measure in case something is very wrong with the build that could potentially cause damage.
  4. Be prepared for regular updates.
  5. If you don't want to help fix bugs, and get annoyed when something breaks, don't use it.
How to use:

In order to switch to the test build, please run the osu! updater and check the "Download and use test build" option to switch which osu! version is used.

Note that your shortcuts to osu! will still run public. If you want to always run the test build, make a shortcut to osume.exe (osu! updater) and run that to start osu!, or make a new shortcut to osu!test.exe.

Reporting issues:

Don't report problems while using the test build on the Help forum.

In order to track issues, the existing osu! bug tracker (sifter) will be used. If you wish to contribute on a regular basis, please contact Derekku with your email (necessary), first/last name (you can make these up if you don't feel comfortable), and he will make you a sifter account.

Please read some existing reports before you make a report, so you know what is required. If you want to make your bug reports more effective, please read this article; it is a great read and will definitely help.

Make sure when you make a report, you check whether you can reproduce the problem on the latest public build (non-test). Mention whether you can or not; this is always helpful!

Also, I usually reply to issues very fast and regularly, so remember to check back in-case I need more info (you will get e-mail notifications from sifter when an issue is replied to).

Finally make sure to search before reporting your bug, and make the title something relevant so others can find it.
OzzyOzrock
Oh my.

That's pretty cool I guess.
James2250
Sounds like a pretty nice idea

Will have to read up on bug reporting~
[Sean]
More fun for me.

Huzzah.
Lilac
Looking forward to downloading it and checking it out.
Zelos
definitely participating
Waryas
[peppy] By popular demand, allow hiding of the scoreboard in multiplayer matches.
Awesome. Participating.
Lilac
Ishmon
now i know i need to support!
Vext_old
Hmm Peppy be puttin' out a lot of updates lately. I'll check this out later.
Aqua
THIS is awesome!
I can remember the days when pm'd peppy, just because i wanted to use this :)
Zetta
So does this mean we can test out osz2 maps etc etc as well or just the added features for the current revision of osu?

Either way this is great.
Topic Starter
peppy
The test build is a 'trunk' build, meaning it has all the features that are currently being proposed for the next public release. Some features will not yet be available due to incompleteness. Think of it as all the next features you will see in osu!, but not in a fully stable state.
Claudia_old
motherfucker, my sub ran out 3 days ago.

nevertheless, more excellent updates, peppy.
dkun

E-Hooker wrote:

motherfucker, my sub ran out 3 days ago.
*whistles*
Eddotan
why supporter only? ppl with no money (credit card) cant help testing and/or reporting bugs on this version
so sad...
Topic Starter
peppy
It's only available to supporters to:
a) provide them with a bit more of a bonus.
b) keep the number of testers relatively low so reports are able to be handled by the small dev team.

The whole community aren't supporters, else I would be working on osu! as a full-time job :P. Supporter tags are not "given out" except as prizes. (this is a response to a statement made before previous posted edited their post)
Azure_Kite
"Well hey there, good news. Fancy seeing you here."

I'm totally gonna help out.
Aaron
Peppy, I'll now be donating all the time. :P
Fabi
There is no way we can reply to an existing report just to add more information about the issue?
show more