forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 36: Triple Tricky Combo

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love Them!
45.30%
4 -
25.64%
3 -
17.09%
2 -
5.98%
1 - Hate Them!
5.98%
Total votes: 234
show more
RandomJibberish
They can be fun but I'd usually just prefer a triplet. Also stacking the beat on the second slider to avoid overlaps is for pros
mm201
Decent technique but there aren't so many situations where it works.
Soaprman
These are rules as hell. I'll be the first to vote 5!
ziin
There should be a triple in the music there (and "triplet" is a bit misleading, because a triplet is on 1/3 snap or 1/6 snap) or it shouldn't be mapped that way. The William Tell Overture would be fun using this.

It's only bad when there's 2+ notes in between the sliders.
Gonzvlo
I don't like how those circles overlap with sliders. Sometimes are fun to play tho.
Cyclone

ziin wrote:

(and "triplet" is a bit misleading, because a triplet is on 1/3 snap or 1/6 snap)
This. Forever this. I'm fucking sick of having the term triplet used for not-triplets
Lybydose
I have no idea what this even is due to the incredibly ambiguous description, misuse of the term "triplet", and lack of timeline in the screenshot.

Is the note between the sliders 1/4 of a beat after the end of the previous slider, or it it 1/2 a beat? Or is this technique referring to both (despite the fact that they play completely differently)?
NatsumeRin
Hatsune Miku - Uraomote Lovers should be on the list... and imo it's the map which make this technique the best one.
vote 4, since most time it's not easy to get well used.
ziin
it's the omission of the first beat in a series of 3 beats. Generally you can feel it coming, so you might want to hit all 3 notes, and thus you'll hit the 2 notes early by accident.
Topic Starter
NoHitter

Triplet was coined by the one who nominated the technique.
Cyclone
And we're telling you it has been misnamed. Here's a dictionary entry for you.

Triplet

Also called tercet. Music . a group of three notes to be performed in the time of two ordinary notes of the same kind.

Meaning 3 eighth note triplets (3 notes in 1/3 timing) are of the same length as 2 eighth notes (2 notes in 1/2 timing)

The only difference between osu and music in this case is osu beats exist in a single instance, while notes in music are held for the full length specified.
Topic Starter
NoHitter
Removed "Triplets" from the post as it's a misused term.
OzzyOzrock
Triplets comes from most OTHER rhythm games. Guitar Hero as an example. I used to make custom charts, and every time you have a pattern of three descending colors, they'd be called triplets. Like the "One" solo is ascending 'trips' and the more common descending patterns would be called descending trips.

Which is weird, because when you talk about two or one color, it's a gallop.
Krisom
How do we call a group of 3 1/4 notes then :3?
Lybydose

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Triplets comes from most OTHER rhythm games. Guitar Hero as an example. I used to make custom charts, and every time you have a pattern of three descending colors, they'd be called triplets. Like the "One" solo is ascending 'trips' and the more common descending patterns would be called descending trips.

I can start saying that my cat is actually a dog. I can get everyone I know to start calling it a dog, maybe I could get thousands of people calling it a dog.

It still isn't a dog though.
Glass
bad
those

Krisom wrote:

Depends on how fast they're played in terms of the music.
Sure

Krisom wrote:

三連打 lol
I have no idea about it with English.
OzzyOzrock

Lybydose wrote:

I can start saying that my cat is actually a dog. I can get everyone I know to start calling it a dog, maybe I could get thousands of people calling it a dog.

It still isn't a dog though.
POPULAR OPINION CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
those

ykcarrot wrote:

三連打
Literally, that means "three consecutive hits". Not quite descriptive enough.

OzzyOzrock wrote:

POPULAR OPINION CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
But what's wrong is still wrong.
Cyclone

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Except, you know, those ARE triplets. or sextuplets. Or something.
FireballFlame

Krisom wrote:

Triple
ziin
I call them triples. 4 notes would be quadruples, 5 notes would be quintuples, etc... Or just "group of X notes". All you have to do is take off the "t".

A tuplet is "any rhythm that involves dividing the beat into a different number of equal subdivisions from that usually permitted by the time-signature (e.g., triplets, duplets, etc.)". Yes you can have duplets (2 notes in the span of 3). Or even a sextuplet in quintuplet time. It sounds pretty bad though.
theowest
These are not tricky! I love how you press your keys to play this. It feels so great when it's mapped correctly to the song. \:D/
theplayerbeta
Good technique :D
4/5
Eyenine
Totally love them. These kinds of triplets really tests one's coordination and sense of rhythm, and in high bpm maps, they're really not that easy to spam unlike simple triplets.
animez15
triplet for me...:D depending on the speed 8-)
YodaSnipe
If spaced far apart where the edges of each beat touch each other instead of overlap then they are shtty, sadly most of them are.