forum

Somewhere to throw your votes [Storyboard Toggle] [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,468
show more
mm201
Don't play unenjoyable maps?
aevv_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

dvorak wrote:

We basically don't play same song twice in mp,
:(
eddieee

MetalMario201 wrote:

dont make silly skins..?

Edit: go ahead make them, tho i aint gonna use them because i want a GOOD score on some maps.
Edit2: oh yes, this idea of first playing a map before you can toggle skin, SB would ruin 99% of random multi games for me... srr to say it
Kert

Jarby wrote:

The only other thing of note I would like to bring up regarding this is the freedom to automatically disable all storyboards marked with an epilepsy warning. Of course, that could simply end in regular users enabling it, but I still think it's something to consider.
For me this is the only case when I would like to disable SB
Just saying
maay

eddieee wrote:

Edit2: oh yes, this idea of first playing a map before you can toggle skin, SB would ruin 99% of random multi games for me... srr to say it
Do you happen do check the song folder for skin/SB elements (and delete them if they exist) everytime you download a map in multiplayer matches?

Anyway, I like this idea. The toggle will actually save me some time as I won't need to open the song folder and delete stuff, and I don't really delete skins/SBs before actually playing with them on at least once, anyway.

Actually I only dislike custom hitbursts and spinner backgrounds. SBs aren't much of a burden, except for stuff like Jarto and Strangeprogram...
ziin

SuperMaay wrote:

eddieee wrote:

Do you happen do check the song folder for skin/SB elements (and delete them if they exist) everytime you download a map in multiplayer matches?

Anyway, I like this idea. The toggle will actually save me some time as I won't need to open the song folder and delete stuff, and I don't really delete skins/SBs before actually playing with them on at least once, anyway.

Actually I only dislike custom hitbursts and spinner backgrounds. SBs aren't much of a burden, except for stuff like Jarto and Strangeprogram...
The point is that osz2 will not allow deletion of skin elements, so this toggle is a workaround.
eddieee

SuperMaay wrote:

I ask the host if there is some nasty skin, it's not like every skin is bad, but sometimes i just can't play with them... it's not that i dont respect the work that has gone into the skin or SB but as a competetive player i just can't use them all the time.

i think mappers should also respect that...
RemmyX25
I know I said this elsewhere, but god forbid any of you play an arcade rhythm game. Whalt about DDR, Taiko (the two tame ones), as well as DJMAX and Technika, etc to name a few? Half of their challenge is to not get distracted by the visuals. Why should osu! be different?
ziin

RemmyX25 wrote:

I know I said this elsewhere, but god forbid any of you play an arcade rhythm game. Whalt about DDR, Taiko (the two tame ones), as well as DJMAX and Technika, etc to name a few? Half of their challenge is to not get distracted by the visuals. Why should osu! be different?
bad visuals ruin good maps.
Jarby

RemmyX25 wrote:

Half of their challenge is to not get distracted by the visuals. Why should osu! be different?
Encouraging mappers to make distracting storyboards is the last thing we need. And I will always see storyboarding as a visual complement at its best, not a distraction.
mm201
DDR and friends are made by professional game developers who (should) pay attention to balance and playability. Ranking guidelines SHOULD make this true for osu! as well but unfortunately don't always get enforced.
maay

ziin wrote:

The point is that osz2 will not allow deletion of skin elements, so this toggle is a workaround.

peppy wrote:

If there is a storyboard toggle, there will also be a skin toggle. It will work in a similar way. Kiai is completely out of the question.
... unless I missed something, that is.
OzzyOzrock
No DELETION of skin elements. They're still there, just toggled off.
maay
isn't it the same when it comes down to gameplay terms
galvenize

SuperMaay wrote:

For most of the players, it isn't. Skin/SB will just act as unnecessary distraction to those who aim for a good rank.
aevv_old

galvenize wrote:

SuperMaay wrote:

For most of the players, it isn't. Skin/SB will just act as unnecessary distraction to those who aim for a good rank.
then dont play for rank play for fun!

nvm its not fun to play with retard SB/skin/bg by retard mappers
mm201

aevv wrote:

Then complain to the MP host or start your own game. It's not like they couldn't have also picked one with terrible mapping.
aevv_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

aevv wrote:

Then complain to the MP host or start your own game. It's not like they couldn't have also picked one with terrible mapping.
adding features to stop people playing the game

ok
eddieee
WHY THE F*** is this conversation still going, let players choose how they want to play...

and LoL @ CnF, i just read it now... I play your maps how I want to play them WITHOUT sb and WITHOUT skin, that way i ENJOY YOUR map more... TADAAAAAAAAAAAA there you have it... stoptearsnow.com
Wishy

SuperMaay wrote:

eddieee wrote:

Actually when we play some map with a really shitty BG/SB/Skin, we tell the rest of the players that we'd like to recommend them to delete everything from the map in order to be able to play it.

BTW, the problem you guys seem to be missing is that osz2 will enforce old maps to be redownloaded if ever modified, so you'll have to play with a possible shitty BG which makes the map just crap. I'd say this system is great if only applied to newer maps (since BATs and MATs could get mappers to take care of that stuff that players usually rage at), but at old maps you can't really do much.

And god damn it, if mappers want people to enjoy their maps, why do you want to force them to play them in a way they ain't gonna enjoy it? I know this is no place to discuss this but you know, pro mappers who are at the same time very experienced players tend to do really enjoyable maps, since they understand how the game is actually played. Mappers who are no good at the game or just never got to the point where you try to get some big achievements, won't understand how some people will play the map. Low level players won't really care about some distracting stuff since the circles are like "hey I'm extra large" and the AR is low, and most of them don't even know they can "turn off" all that stuff, but we can all say that, really, when playing small circle high AR maps, a flashy SB makes the thing just awful. Of course exceptions may exist.
Waryas
The only issue that I see is that it's applied to old maps, a lot of people achieved mod records on these by deleting the BG/Skins which will make it unfair to those who will HAVE TO play with BG (and maybe skin if there's no toggle)
Basically rank as much map as possible you can now with HR/DT because it'll be harder to do so with osz2 (unless you have eagle eyes).
maay

galvenize wrote:

SuperMaay wrote:

I meant it as in between the deletion of skin/SBs and the ability to toggle them off. Other than the fact that you'll need to watch auto or actually play the map once, they're pretty much the same in gameplay terms ('cept that you won't be able to edit backgrounds anymore, I guess...).
RandomJibberish
The tiny minority of old maps that have truly atrocious backgrounds can be haxxsubmitted better ones, or (if they are too bright) dimmed as this request says.

If you delete ordinary, non obtrusive backgrounds, stop being an arsehole
Card N'FoRcE

eddieee wrote:

WHY THE F*** is this conversation still going, let players choose how they want to play...

and LoL @ CnF, i just read it now... I play your maps how I want to play them WITHOUT sb and WITHOUT skin, that way i ENJOY YOUR map more... TADAAAAAAAAAAAA there you have it... stoptearsnow.com
I don't care.
Don't play them.

Also, I'm about not to support this feature anymore, because i didn't think people would be this stubborn.

JesusYamato wrote:

The only issue that I see is that it's applied to old maps, a lot of people achieved mod records on these by deleting the BG/Skins which will make it unfair to those who will HAVE TO play with BG (and maybe skin if there's no toggle)
Basically rank as much map as possible you can now with HR/DT because it'll be harder to do so with osz2 (unless you have eagle eyes).

peppy wrote:

If there is a storyboard toggle, there will also be a skin toggle. It will work in a similar way. Kiai is completely out of the question.
There you have it.
maay

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

There you have it.
there's no official reply regarding backgrounds for now, though
Galkan

SuperMaay wrote:

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

There you have it.
there's no official reply regarding backgrounds for now, though

peppy wrote:

If I add a background disable function, it will also disable all hit objects, sounds, and osu! itself.
Waryas

SuperMaay wrote:

('cept that you won't be able to edit backgrounds anymore, I guess...).
You won't be able to add custom video either by changing the .osb anymore. I added a few videos for maps such as border of xtc when i want to play them for fun...
eddieee

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

I don't care.
Don't play them.
lol you can't force player to not play maps that you submitted.. stop saying dumb things... and accept the fact that with osz2 + the video, skin and sb toggle osu! is the game that is for EVERYONE.. you should be proud of that!

this is the way i see it. this would make osu! by far the most awesome thing ever. everyone gets what they want. I just can't understand that you can't accept that... YOU are the one that is being stubborn...
LuigiHann
Okay guys.

I'm seeing a bit of the same points being bounced back and forth now. I submit that if you've already posted your argument here, peppy has read it, we've all read it, your voice has been heard. That goes for people arguing on both sides.

Not locking the thread, because it's good to see what everybody thinks about this, but as the discussion goes on please consider that if you've already made your point, you don't need to make the same point again. You've already weighed in on your stance, let some other people make their own comments and suggestions now.
Card N'FoRcE

eddieee wrote:

lol you can't force player to not play maps that you submitted.. stop saying dumb things... and accept the fact that with osz2 + the video, skin and sb toggle osu! is the game that is for EVERYONE.. you should be proud of that!
Read my previous posts in this thread, i already explained why I am (or maybe i was) totally ok with peppy's proposal.

Anyway, I personally think that the idea of everything playable by everyone is nonsense for many reasons, but this is a matter that doesn't belong to this topic.

eddieee wrote:

this is the way i see it. this would make osu! by far the most awesome thing ever. everyone gets what they want. I just can't understand that you can't accept that... YOU are the one that is being stubborn...
I can't help being stubborn with people more stubborn than me, sorry about that.
I can't uderstand what everyone is complaining about, since you have to see/play how things work at least one time before deciding if removing them is really worth it.

If you don't do that, you're just throwing away what mappers and modders may have worked hard for and I'm not fine with that.

Try making a map with a SB/Skin/Hitsounds then tell me if you won't get angry at people loldeleting it without trying them once when you cared a lot about making them fun and satisfying to play.

And again, i am (was) perfectly fine with peppy's proposal.

Since i already said pretty much what i wanted to say until now, I'm gonna stop here. I'll post again if something new comes up.
ouranhshc

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

Try making a map with a SB/Skin/Hitsounds then tell me if you won't get angry at people loldeleting it without trying them once when you cared a lot about making them fun and satisfying to play.
ummm, the only way one would know that is if the play told the mapper (which i don't know how often that happens). If i am playing a map that has a questionable skin and SB, i'm more likely to just flat-out delete the map :<
RandomJibberish
Uh, a mapper is capable of playing their own map seeing how distracted they are by an SB, as are all of the map's modders. It's just that someone who plays for fun (like most mappers and modders seem to be) would say a good quality SB adds to the experience, wheras someone who plays for score would say it detracts.

Also, is not allowing SB toggling on approval maps an option? Approval maps don't affect ranked score, and lots of them rely completely on the SB and not having it would completely ruin the point and experience, e.g. Disturbia, StrangeProgram.
TKiller

RandomJibberish wrote:

Also, is not allowing SB toggling on approval maps an option? Approval maps don't affect ranked score, and lots of them rely completely on the SB and not having it would completely ruin the point and experience, e.g. Disturbia, StrangeProgram.
Oh right. That was silly of all us to forget this point.

Disturbia might just have a SBDisplayAlways flag or sort of that, appliable only to Approval maps, but what to do with storyboards which are supposed to distract, but contain flashing (epilepsy etc)? I actually have no idea how to solve this...
Sallad4ever

TKiller wrote:

RandomJibberish wrote:

Oh right. That was silly of all us to forget this point.

Disturbia might just have a SBDisplayAlways flag or sort of that, appliable only to Approval maps, but what to do with storyboards which are supposed to distract, but contain flashing (epilepsy etc)? I actually have no idea how to solve this...
having an approval map to have SB always display flag is a bit unfair imo, well you can always choose to disable the SB toogling if you wanted to enjoy the disturbing SB

Flashing is distracting enough imo, moreover if the flashing cover all of the screen with kiai time with very bright BG. (no I'm not saying to add a kiai toogle)
Wishy

RandomJibberish wrote:

Uh, a mapper is capable of playing their own map seeing how distracted they are by an SB, as are all of the map's modders. It's just that someone who plays for fun (like most mappers and modders seem to be) would say a good quality SB adds to the experience, wheras someone who plays for score would say it detracts.
Most mappers can't do their own maps with DT/HR (+HD), and some mappers can't even play they insanes they map, so they can't actually really understand how bothering a BG/SB could be. Of course there are mappers like Lesjuh and KanbeKotori who can do all the crazy stuff, but hey look at their maps, you can always play them with it's BG since it isn't really a bothering one (at least I've never deleted, as far as I remember, any BG from those 2 mappers).
Topic Starter
peppy
Approved maps will be treated no differently from ranked. There's no reason they should.
TKiller
I was more referring to something like http://osu.ppy.sh/s/9504 and viewtopic.php?p=412209#p412209

Though I'm not supportive towards the idea of creating storyboards meant to distract only.
MDuh
I totally disagree on this one, I'm just a player and my opinion is disabling SB's from the map will be a unfair for some players, and will be harsh on Map/SB Makers.

Osu should balance Competitiveness and the Fun factor..
All players should play the same other Ppl Do, so disabling the SB IMO will be disadvantageous..

so I suggest maybe if we can just vote for a specific map that needs the SB to have lessened effects.
If maybe a certain vote is acquired maybe we can have:
  1. The Map SB's will be Toggle-able
    OR
  2. Unranked first then rechecked by some officials (More work though)

FireballFlame wrote:

I am against any possibility of disabling SB and skins.
From the perspective of a mapper for obvious reasons.
From the perspective of a player because I want everyone to see the same and have the same chances.
I've always already disliked the "no video" mod for this reason. Why do people have to have crappy computers :?
I totally agree on this, except ofc for the the No-Video :P
Niko

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

you're just throwing away what mappers and modders may have worked hard for and I'm not fine with that.
To be honest, I don't care that you (and all other mappers) waste your time to do something what will be removed anyway. Why should it be blocked? It's my damn choice if I want to watch some flashes or whatever in the background.

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

Why do we mappers even bother to storyboard if noone wants to see our works?
Good question.

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

And also because i prefer people to play my maps as a whole: if you deleted BG/skin/SB from some of my maps, please delete the whole map and don't even play them, as they're not being played as i wanted them to be.
So I would have to delete and forget about half of all quite new maps. Yay!

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

eddieee wrote:

I don't care.
Don't play them.
I agree with eddieee. Even if your map is great I shouldn't play it because I removed something that was destroying its greatness?

MDuh wrote:

Osu should balance Competitiveness and the Fun factor..
All players should play the same other Ppl Do, so disabling the SB IMO will be disadvantageous..
osu! is fun for me even without abnoxious storyboards/backgrounds/skins, that's why I deleted all image files from my songs folder. If you think it's unfair just remove them too.

peppy wrote:

If you want to play a game where you are hitting single-coloured circles on a black background, go make your own ouendan clone ;)
That doesn't make any sense. That's how I'm playing right now. I'm not a programmer and I want to play your ouendan clone that way. Why do you want to stop me from doing it?

peppy wrote:

It seems some people think that osu! is just a competitive game with no heart, and that beatmappers should just be placing hitObjects
Yes. Deal with it.

peppy wrote:

it's your choice to play in a way which suits you.
Wait, are you now denying what you were saying all the time?

RemmyX25 wrote:

Half of their challenge is to not get distracted by the visuals. Why should osu! be different?
Because it's just a stupid way of increasing the difficulty?

JesusYamato wrote:

Some insane DT or AR10 HR are way more easy with black backgrounds cause you can focus on the followpoints, it's all about increased reactivity.
this.

If osz2 will be implemented, I will have to redownload ALL my maps, and I won't have a right to remove unnecessary,flickering,annoying,eye-fucking things from the map for some reason, right?

fuck this then, im quitting
and i bet most of the best players will do that too

and yes i know you dont care

inb4cry me a river/[enter any other dumb sentence here]
Elfice
Just a small note from me...

There are lots of maps I can't play properly with SBs enabled because of fps loss...with distracting flashing and everything it's pretty impossible...
I appreciate mappers and their effort in making SBs, but they should keep in mind that not every player has epic machine as they probably do...
Also, it's up on players if they like playing with BGs and SBs or not. Why not, if they enjoy maps that way even more?

And about it being advantageous? All players have option to delete things they don't like.
I talked to few pr0 players and they all share same opinion, they are most likely gonna quit once osz2 comes out.
Waryas
A OSB override for video would be nice, thanks.
I talked to few pr0 players and they all share same opinion, they are most likely gonna quit once osz2 comes out.
I also know a few top100 players who will quit if they aren't able to delete BGs, not that peppy or the community cares.
Topic Starter
peppy
Okay sorry guys. I tried, but I also have limits. Niko-'s post is that limit. Discussion over. I'm not even going to bother arguing my point anymore.

Niko-: If this toggle makes it into osu!, it will have a special condition that forces storyboards to always be enabled for you. I promise. If you quit, this will make my job even easier.
Topic Starter
peppy
Added in test build, available next public.

Stop deleting stuff in beatmap folders, please.
Stefan
I lol'd.
\o/
Mirage
Love you.
YodaSnipe
Brilliant.
Sure
Can't wait
Azure_Kite
Oh God. It begins.
bomber34
;w; no.... I hope there is something like a condition or so but i guess no :/
I guess I am the only one who is against a SB toggle but well ...

Edit: Why would anyone waste their time now for genius gimmick maps? they lose their point now....
Wishy
We can keep deleting BGs right? Just asking. ;P
Topic Starter
peppy
Every background you delete will be a map you need to redownload. Up to you, really.

@bomber34: people have been hacking maps to do this for ages. this just levels this playfield (to a shocking level I do not agree with).