forum

Allow to use different Approach Rates in map

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,210
show more
vitail
i agree
Endie-
Don't you think peppy has already thought about this? There is probably a good reason as to why its not implemented.
Yauxo

Endie- wrote:

Don't you think peppy has already thought about this? There is probably a good reason as to why its not implemented.
Peppy also thought that PPv1 was a good idea.
It's not that it's a bad idea, I guess it's more that osu!next has a much higher priority right now.
Volta
poor BN and QAT, will get more work to check proper AR change usage.
Yauxo

Volta wrote:

poor BN and QAT, will get more work to check proper AR change usage.
This honestly wouldnt be a huge thing to check for. People wont change the AR on every single object and even if they would, it'd be clearly unrankable.
laport

Yauxo wrote:

I made a reference thing. Cuts are noticable and it might be offbeat here and there, but it serves its purpose for 1 hour of work

https://youtu.be/iYWlED2YOsI
Just watching this makes me want to play around with maps that use different approach rates. Nice video!
FoxCat
How about letting us pick which AR we want to play? Like Mania has it way to rise or decrease the panel speed :v

Ofc that doesn't mean AR has to be removed from the difficult panel, that should be the ideal AR to play the map.
Endie-

-Pikachu- wrote:

How about letting us pick which AR we want to play? Like Mania has it way to rise or decrease the panel speed :v

Ofc that doesn't mean AR has to be removed from the difficult panel, that should be the ideal AR to play the map.
Some maps are meant to be played at ar9 Example:
A while back, a famous player used a hack to change the ar to 10. It made the map easier so he could FC it. Being able to change the ar freely would defeat the purpose of mapping it in ar9.
PyaKura

-Pikachu- wrote:

o!m scrolling speed has pretty much nothing to do with it.
Danshi_old_1
Wait you can slow sliders? HaLP
FoxCat

PyaKura wrote:

o!m scrolling speed has pretty much nothing to do with it.
Yeah, I know it doesn't, also it was an example because that would be "how fast" the notes come to the judge area, similar to how Circles has their own judge area with the Approach Circle always called AR (Which result in 300, 100, 50 and even miss).

Endie- wrote:

Some maps are meant to be played at ar9 Example:
A while back, a famous player used a hack to change the ar to 10. It made the map easier so he could FC it. Being able to change the ar freely would defeat the purpose of mapping it in ar9.
As I said, the AR placed in difficult setting would be the ideal AR to play with, if you want to change it to 0 that's your own business, also I believe AR doesn't have any influence on the star rating of maps, you can put AR10 in a 2 stars map and it will be the same stars, same if you put AR0 to a 6 stars map.

Or how about making a mod that modifies AR and cycle between 0 to 10? Like o!m has it own mod that cycle between 1 to 9 keys but it reduce score multiplier.
GhostFrog

-Pikachu- wrote:

PyaKura wrote:

I believe AR doesn't have any influence on the star rating of maps, you can put AR10 in a 2 stars map and it will be the same stars, same if you put AR0 to a 6 stars map.
You are correct that AR does not influence star rating (though it does influence pp when it gets high or low enough), but that's irrelevant. AR does change the difficulty of maps, regardless of whether or not it's represented in star rating or in pp. The relevant details is whether or not that change in difficulty is a "real" or a "fake" change in difficulty within the context of osu! and the answer to me is so clearly that it's real difficulty, but I've argued about this a lot and I'm tired of doing so, so I'm not going to reiterate why I feel that way. If you're interested, you can find various explanations of it in this other thread, which also happens to be more relevant to player-defined AR.
Bara-
User-customizable AR has been requested in an other thread (see above post)
Please stick to this thread, the ability to use multiple ARs in a single map, something I still agree with, and I still can't see why people disagree, as abuse will be unrankable. I'll gladly take care of that ^_^
Rilene
h3ll
Good idea.
zenithlight
i'm excited to play all the gimmick maps that would be created by "abuse" of this feature.

+support
Bara-
Bump
Since I need to have a constructive post to bump
A-L-I-E-N
Andruchon
Please don't ever implement this. I hate when maps start with a slow introduction phase, then preceed with a pause, just to throw everything at you and catch you offguard after the slow parts. IMO a map should be almost as hard (and exciting) in the start as it is in the end. Nobody wants to play a "4 star" map that goes 1 minute like a 2 star map, and then goes 1 minute like a 5 star map.

I see the possibilities, but it shouldn't encourage the mappers to make "bad" and annoying maps.

Im just scarred, that it will be used too frequently in unfitting parts. I think that fluent gameplay should always have a higher priority than style and free creativity of the mapper. And changing the AR will always result in a fluency loss.
Swash
I like this idea a lot. Honestly, I find osu very boring, for many reasons. A frequent change in AR pace would make the game much more difficult, which could be exciting if done correctly. It would take quite a while to get used to those type of maps though. It allows mappers to get more creative. It could also help change the pace of the song, which could make it flow better. +1
Rilene

Andruchon wrote:

Please don't ever implement this. I hate when maps start with a slow introduction phase, then preceed with a pause, just to throw everything at you and catch you offguard after the slow parts. IMO a map should be almost as hard (and exciting) in the start as it is in the end. Nobody wants to play a "4 star" map that goes 1 minute like a 2 star map, and then goes 1 minute like a 5 star map.
Sadly the difficulty progression is always unavoidable regardless of map or song, unless if you spam jumps in calm section or use 1/2 x1 DA jumps in kiai.