Notes that require 2 keys to be pressed to clear.

posted
Total Posts
107
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +292
show more
StephOsu

Riari wrote:

There are around ~5,000 RANKED beatmaps right now.

Not counting the larger number of maps that aren't ranked but are still playable, if this request is not for you there is still content and will forever be content for you to play.
If it is added, it's not a requirement to put it in your beatmap.
If it is added, it's not required to play any beatmaps with it in.

Arguing that osu! has been fine for all these years without it makes no sense, just because the game functions well doesn't mean you can't make it function better.

Also, FR seems to have been confused with OT because the number of shitposts here is actually scary.
yeah there was so many shitpost in this thread that I thought that I am in G&R
but tbh though jesse didn't put much information about the note other that only requiring 2 keys to be pressed to clear and that had caused a lot of misunderstanding which I don't really get how they end up misunderstanding that bad tbh
I still stand on my view of this note though. Interesting to add in, but too complex for accuracy check in score v2 which can cause it to be hard to implement
MBomb
My main concern comes (as someone who plays every mode except standard) from how this would convert. Whilst it's not exactly a top priority or anything most likely, it's still important in my opinion. In CtB, I assume it would just act as if there were 2 fruits stacked on top of each other, but Taiko and Mania, I'm not sure how it would work.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Whirl wrote:

Okay you answered my questions so I reconsidered

it's still a dumb idea

standard has been the same for MANY years, jesse1412 I don't think this is going to happen



I already KNOW it's not going to be implemented in the game because
A.too many people dislike it. thats all


peppy (or other osu designers I don't know) aren't going to change something in osu that too many people don't like




to prove me wrong AND too finish this forum i'd like too see a poll, 'do you like this idea, yes or no' and if more people say no it's done. No more trying to convince people or anything


if more people say yes then keep trying to implement this in the game
Mapping has been changing consistently for the last 10 years. Standard mode DEFINITELY hasn't been the same for long at all, the evolution of mapping styles has been an astronomically larger change than adding double notes. Take a look at maps from across the ages and tell me things have stayed the same. Just because a new feature for mappers to use is being implemented doesn't mean the meta is going to change at an unprecendented rate (and even if it did, it would be for the better. Mappers wouldn't use them if players hated them). You say osu! has been the same for years and shouldn't change yet you haven't even been here for one year to experience all the changes that've happened. I assume you've never tried to play (or are unable to play maps that use) "double" notes because otherwise you would know that they play very intuitively. It really doesn't require any special thinking to hit these kinds of notes and it integrates seamlessly into a map when used well.

I'm beyond confident that the majority of people would agree to this implementation. Most people know that not every map will instantly start using these notes, most people probably even find the idea fun. You're essentially saying "you can't have your new feature because I don't want to play maps that might use it. If a map uses something that I don't like then no one should be allowed to play it!! waaa!!!!!!!". Most people don't like square patterns and quads, should we remove those from all maps because YOU dislike them? Of course not.

It seems pretty clear to me that you don't know how features in this game work when you say that "I already KNOW it's not going to be implemented in the game because too many people dislike it. thats all." You weren't here when hit circle fade out got changed, or slider tick fading got changed, or scorev2 was first used in tournament settings, or peppy created his second pp ranking system instead of using tp, or when the chat fonts were changed. There a lot of things people didn't want, but peppy said "fuck you guys this will be better"; and you know what? He was right. Stop stagnating the game and try to embrace something new for once.

Riari wrote:

There are around ~5,000 RANKED beatmaps right now.

Not counting the larger number of maps that aren't ranked but are still playable, if this request is not for you there is still content and will forever be content for you to play.
If it is added, it's not a requirement to put it in your beatmap.
If it is added, it's not required to play any beatmaps with it in.

Arguing that osu! has been fine for all these years without it makes no sense, just because the game functions well doesn't mean you can't make it function better.
All very logical and strong arguments, ties in with: "you can't have your new feature because I don't want to play maps that might use it. If a map uses something that I don't like then no one should be allowed to play it!! waaa!!!!!!!"

My main concern comes (as someone who plays every mode except standard) from how this would convert. Whilst it's not exactly a top priority or anything most likely, it's still important in my opinion. In CtB, I assume it would just act as if there were 2 fruits stacked on top of each other, but Taiko and Mania, I'm not sure how it would work.
Reasonable concerns. Not sure how to handle them for CTB and mania, possibly just convert them like a standard note?
Riari

jesse1412 wrote:

My main concern comes (as someone who plays every mode except standard) from how this would convert. Whilst it's not exactly a top priority or anything most likely, it's still important in my opinion. In CtB, I assume it would just act as if there were 2 fruits stacked on top of each other, but Taiko and Mania, I'm not sure how it would work.
Reasonable concerns. Not sure how to handle them for CTB and mania, possibly just convert them like a standard note?
Taiko converts work mainly based off hitsounds iirc, meaning some jiggery pokery would have to be done but I guess it could just be a D or K as it literally is the same thing.

As for mania I guess it would make sense for it to convert to a chord since they are similar in the sense that it is multiple keys?

CtB is a broken gamemode so nobody really cares.


I would like to see double hold sliders as they would be really nice on quite a few songs.
Monstrata
Let's see if 50% of the osu player base quits when my Aspire entry gets ranked :D.
StephOsu

Monstrata wrote:

Let's see if 50% of the osu player base quits when my Aspire entry gets ranked :D.
DO IT
those sliders were beautiful
Topic Starter
jesse1412
Got a pm from a very angry guy, let me post it here for him because discussion is important. Formatted it nicely for him too, ain't I nice.

Whirl wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

Mapping has been changing consistently for the last 10 years. Standard mode DEFINITELY hasn't been the same for long at all, the evolution of mapping styles has been an astronomically larger change than adding double notes. Take a look at maps from across the ages and tell me things have stayed the same. Just because a new feature for mappers to use is being implemented doesn't mean the meta is going to change at an unprecendented rate (and even if it did, it would be for the better. Mappers wouldn't use them if players hated them). You say osu! has been the same for years and shouldn't change yet you haven't even been here for one year to experience all the changes that've happened. I assume you've never tried to play (or are unable to play maps that use) "double" notes because otherwise you would know that they play very intuitively. It really doesn't require any special thinking to hit these kinds of notes and it integrates seamlessly into a map when used well.

I'm beyond confident that the majority of people would agree to this implementation. Most people know that not every map will instantly start using these notes, most people probably even find the idea fun. You're essentially saying "you can't have your new feature because I don't want to play maps that might use it. If a map uses something that I don't like then no one should be allowed to play it!! waaa!!!!!!!". Most people don't like square patterns and quads, should we remove those from all maps because YOU dislike them? Of course not.

It seems pretty clear to me that you don't know how features in this game work when you say that "I already KNOW it's not going to be implemented in the game because too many people dislike it. thats all." You weren't here when hit circle fade out got changed, or slider tick fading got changed, or scorev2 was first used in tournament settings, or peppy created his second pp ranking system instead of using tp, or when the chat fonts were changed. There a lot of things people didn't want, but peppy said "fuck you guys this will be better"; and you know what? He was right. Stop stagnating the game and try to embrace something new for once.
okay thats what you said about me first of all standard has not changed

yes maybe the mapping has but the actual game hasn't, standard is circles sliders and spinners, nothing ahs changed about it since

next

if your beyond confident that the majority of people would like this idea than why don't you do a poll? Like I said this will all stop if you do a poll (kind of), cause i'm preyy confident that this won't actually happen. If you don't wanna do a poll cause your too scared too then why even try and make this implemented in the game?


next

you wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

You're essentially saying "you can't have your new feature because I don't want to play maps that might use it. If a map uses something that I don't like then no one should be allowed to play it!! waaa!!!!!!!". Most people don't like square patterns and quads, should we remove those from all maps because YOU dislike them? Of course not.
I get what your trying too say here but I didn't say that, I said 'why don't you do a poll and see what the resault is? If more people say yes then keep on trying to implement this in the game, if more people say no just shut up and stop'
your essentially saying 'It's gurantee that more people will like this implement so I won't make a poll' just because u think it might not always be true



ass hole.
Obviously I have to respond, it's my nature.

Whirl wrote:

okay thats what you said about me first of all standard has not changed

yes maybe the mapping has but the actual game hasn't, standard is circles sliders and spinners, nothing ahs changed about it since
The shift in mapping is essential a change in the game. It plays very differently, double notes seem like a far more seamless transition than the flow from old mapping to new, the game has been changing vastly and to argue otherwise is quite silly in my opinion.

Whirl wrote:

if your beyond confident that the majority of people would like this idea than why don't you do a poll? Like I said this will all stop if you do a poll (kind of), cause i'm preyy confident that this won't actually happen. If you don't wanna do a poll cause your too scared too then why even try and make this implemented in the game?
I didn't add a poll because it's too late to add one "asshole", don't accuse me of being scared of peoples opinions. They're just that, opinions. I would obviously like to know everyone's opinions. Your argument though is very annoying, if we needed a poll to see if everyone agreed with every feature we'd have one automatically made, but we don't. Don't insult me whilst also being clueless about what your accusing me of.

Whirl wrote:

jesse1412 wrote:

You're essentially saying "you can't have your new feature because I don't want to play maps that might use it. If a map uses something that I don't like then no one should be allowed to play it!! waaa!!!!!!!". Most people don't like square patterns and quads, should we remove those from all maps because YOU dislike them? Of course not.
I get what your trying too say here but I didn't say that, I said 'why don't you do a poll and see what the resault is? If more people say yes then keep on trying to implement this in the game, if more people say no just shut up and stop'
your essentially saying 'It's gurantee that more people will like this implement so I won't make a poll' just because u think it might not always be true
I already mentioned why I "just adding a poll" isn't something I can do, but I'd also like to add that the reason I'm so confident that amajority would prefer the addition of the feature is because I've spoken to plenty of people about it. I've played longer than you, I've seen more maps than you, I've spoken to more people than you; it makes sense that I would have a fair understanding of what the community has found enjoyable over the past 7 years, despite your beliefs that you are the all knowing newbie. The request has tons of stars which represent interest, features aren't thrown away unless they could actually be considered annoying to certain people. This kind of request is COMPLETELY IGNOREABLE, if you don't want it you can ignore it. Stop shitting on the things other people want (and have spent their own stars promoting) when it's literally not going to effect you. The interest is clearly there, people have paid money to have their opinion shown.

Whirl wrote:

ass hole.
Ashton
okay, after a long time of thinking i'm now thnking this isn't that bad of an idea, I'll support you (I just can't vote :O) Sorry if I was rude, I jsut wanted my questions answered.
Cubensis
I wish we could downvote on osu forum
Ashton

Monstrata wrote:

Let's see if 50% of the osu player base quits when my Aspire entry gets ranked :D.
DO IT
the sliders are amazing
vitail
agree with this
mizuki-chan
the idea might not be bad, but i dont like it.
JJAwesome101
I don't think this request goes with the guidelines...

Forum Guidelines wrote:

Your request should be for the benefit of all players, not only you.
Asking for a feature that only a few will use won't be noticed as one that everyone has been wanting since 2009.
Not everyone likes this request, in fact I have seen more people who actually don't like it. I know I certainly don't.
Also, if this becomes a thing, it may be put into good beatmaps, so we can't simply "ignore" it.

This is only coming from my thoughts though I'm not forcing upon anything.
Topic Starter
jesse1412

JJAwesome101 wrote:

I don't think this request goes with the guidelines...

Forum Guidelines wrote:

Your request should be for the benefit of all players, not only you.
Asking for a feature that only a few will use won't be noticed as one that everyone has been wanting since 2009.
Not everyone likes this request, in fact I have seen more people who actually don't like it. I know I certainly don't.
Also, if this becomes a thing, it may be put into good beatmaps, so we can't simply "ignore" it.

This is only coming from my thoughts though I'm not forcing upon anything.
If "good" beatmaps use it, doesn't that mean they're good and hence it isn't a problem? You can definitely still ignore maps regardless of quality, but you probably won't because it will play fine.

Guidelines aren't rules and it doesn't really apply to this, lots of people want it and the ones who don't want it will probably change their minds as soon as they experience it in a map that they can play.
Ashton
This is a bad idea in my opinion, I mean first of all you only have lots of star priority for this because your the guy who started playing osu 8 years ago, well whatever but honestly I done see the use to implement this into the game because A. Osu! Has been the same for all its time, there have been sliders spinners and circles and will hopefully forever have sliders spinners and circles

Before you start the "well fuck you noob because mapping has changed over the years and maos flow have changed" well yes that is trye, mapping has changed, but the game hasn't



Also if we were to implement this into the game think of playing the big black, it would be a lot more annoying and akward to have to hit two keys at once!
This would also mess with a lot of people's playing style, and I mean a lot! (Touchscreen players tablet only players etc)

Also before you say something like "I've been in the game for longer than you do I have the bigger word and more fans" I'm going to tell you that players like me and mappers like me aren't going to be happy with this dumb feature because how would you like it if someone said in feature requests to create a whole new note even though you've been playing / mapping the same way for almost a year now! I'd be pretty pissed tbh

I don't see why we need this in the first place, a singular note with hitsiunds is good enough to emphasize a strong, important beat in the song, we don't need a whole new different note to help this, even though taiko has a note that had to be pressed with two keys you also have to remember in standard you need aim, in taiko your just focusing on tapping skills, like I said before it would be pretty weird to pretty much make standard taiko but taiko with aiming

If this was implemented what about all the 100ks? They try to rank up and boom there's a new note that they have to learn, it would mess up their learning curve and cut thei abilities meaning the whole rankings will be messed up because some jackass note
Bauxe

Whirl wrote:

This is a bad idea in my opinion, I mean first of all you only have lots of star priority for this because your the guy who started playing osu 8 years ago, well whatever but honestly I done see the use to implement this into the game because A. Osu! Has been the same for all its time, there have been sliders spinners and circles and will hopefully forever have sliders spinners and circles

Before you start the "well fuck you noob because mapping has changed over the years and maos flow have changed" well yes that is trye, mapping has changed, but the game hasn't



Also if we were to implement this into the game think of playing the big black, it would be a lot more annoying and akward to have to hit two keys at once!
This would also mess with a lot of people's playing style, and I mean a lot! (Touchscreen players tablet only players etc)

Also before you say something like "I've been in the game for longer than you do I have the bigger word and more fans" I'm going to tell you that players like me and mappers like me aren't going to be happy with this dumb feature because how would you like it if someone said in feature requests to create a whole new note even though you've been playing / mapping the same way for almost a year now! I'd be pretty pissed tbh

I don't see why we need this in the first place, a singular note with hitsiunds is good enough to emphasize a strong, important beat in the song, we don't need a whole new different note to help this, even though taiko has a note that had to be pressed with two keys you also have to remember in standard you need aim, in taiko your just focusing on tapping skills, like I said before it would be pretty weird to pretty much make standard taiko but taiko with aiming

If this was implemented what about all the 100ks? They try to rank up and boom there's a new note that they have to learn, it would mess up their learning curve and cut thei abilities meaning the whole rankings will be messed up because some jackass note
What happened to this?

Whirl wrote:

okay, after a long time of thinking i'm now thnking this isn't that bad of an idea, I'll support you (I just can't vote :O) Sorry if I was rude, I jsut wanted my questions answered.
This isn't a suggestion to add 2-key notes to current maps. It would be a new note-type, that can be placed where a mapper chooses.

By the way, hold-notes are planned to be implemented at some point, so that completely removes the whole "new notes shouldn't be added because it ruins the game" argument.

Why do we need this? We don't. But we don't need 99% of the feature requests either.

Take a look here and try to find some requests that are a necessity. Tip: there aren't any.

It's adding more possibility to the standard gamemode.



Whirl wrote:

If this was implemented what about all the 100ks? They try to rank up and boom there's a new note that they have to learn, it would mess up their learning curve and cut thei abilities meaning the whole rankings will be messed up because some jackass note
And what the actual fuck is this supposed to mean? I can't even think of a response due to how close-minded this statement is.


Can someone please come up with a decent reason as to why this suggestion is bad, aside from "BECAUSE IT IS CHANGING STANDARD :( ".
Eraser
As a player, I have to agree with Whirl. It messes with touchscreen and tablet only players. But I use neither so I don't support nor against this :u

from a mapper point of view however, I would like to see this along with hold notes.
Ashton
Well I'm sorry but that's the main reason I don't like it, same with everyone else


Supposing I can't state my own opinion without someone going to me and giving me one silly excuse as to why my points are shit I guess all I can do is say this: I don't think this will be fun to play

Also I'm still really strong about my opinions and that a singular note with added hitsiunds is good enough to emphasize, let'ss keep taiko gameplay with taiko and standard gameplay with standard.
Bites
Although I have some concerns about the readability of such a note, I'm not going to hold any illusions that I understand the design principles or mechanics on how you'd implement such a feature... All I can say, is that I think it'd enhance mapping a lot, and make the game more fun.

I'm in favor! :)
Topic Starter
jesse1412

Whirl wrote:

This is a bad idea in my opinion, I mean first of all you only have lots of star priority for this because your the guy who started playing osu 8 years ago, well whatever but honestly I done see the use to implement this into the game because A. Osu! Has been the same for all its time, there have been sliders spinners and circles and will hopefully forever have sliders spinners and circles

Before you start the "well fuck you noob because mapping has changed over the years and maos flow have changed" well yes that is trye, mapping has changed, but the game hasn't



Also if we were to implement this into the game think of playing the big black, it would be a lot more annoying and akward to have to hit two keys at once!
This would also mess with a lot of people's playing style, and I mean a lot! (Touchscreen players tablet only players etc)

Also before you say something like "I've been in the game for longer than you do I have the bigger word and more fans" I'm going to tell you that players like me and mappers like me aren't going to be happy with this dumb feature because how would you like it if someone said in feature requests to create a whole new note even though you've been playing / mapping the same way for almost a year now! I'd be pretty pissed tbh

I don't see why we need this in the first place, a singular note with hitsiunds is good enough to emphasize a strong, important beat in the song, we don't need a whole new different note to help this, even though taiko has a note that had to be pressed with two keys you also have to remember in standard you need aim, in taiko your just focusing on tapping skills, like I said before it would be pretty weird to pretty much make standard taiko but taiko with aiming

If this was implemented what about all the 100ks? They try to rank up and boom there's a new note that they have to learn, it would mess up their learning curve and cut thei abilities meaning the whole rankings will be messed up because some jackass note
Serious example of poe's law right here. Still not sure after:

Whirl wrote:

okay, after a long time of thinking i'm now thnking this isn't that bad of an idea, I'll support you (I just can't vote :O) Sorry if I was rude, I jsut wanted my questions answered.
Just so you know, the game has changed multiple times since it was released; just not since most people heard about it. It can change again (and will with lazer, I'm sure).
Please sign in to reply.

New reply