forum

Stranger than Fiction (film) and goreshit's "o'er the flood"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ninjastarr
This post may contain spoilers for the film, "Stranger than Fiction". I would strongly recommend watching this movie if you haven't already, and I may inadvertently spoil parts of the plot for you. I bring to attention a surprising synchronicity I happened to pick up on, and I'm going to discuss that. Please watch it.

So, I was doing a film study of Stranger than Fiction in English class today. We were watching Stranger than Fiction, and we watched it in two sittings (half and half, or so). After the first sitting, I spent some time thinking about the movie on my own, weighing possible outcomes in the move and what could possibly happen. Standard stuff to do in an English class, I suppose.

And then, near the end and at a crucial part of the movie, a piano begins to play in the background. As soon as it began to play, after around three notes or chords, the photo of grumd's mapping of goreshit's "o'er the flood" pops into my head. The piano in the film's bpm was the same, the pitches were exactly the same (not an octave up or down), the same key, everything.

At the repeat that the breakcore would have kicked in on "o'er the flood", the piano piece on the film changed at the exact same time as well, and it transitioned into another scene. Spoiler incoming.

It is at this scene that Howard Crick, the main character, after finding out how it is that he is supposed to die, finally accepts his fate. Accepts death, the meaning of his life being determined. The tragedy in which he dies was too great, and he willingly faced death, exchanging it for a boy whose life he saves.

The synchronicity continues in that the album that "o'er the flood" comes from, is titled, "semantic compositions on death and its meaning". O'er the flood seems to have been released on 2011, while Stranger than Fiction came out in 2006.

I am definitely subject to some degree of confirmation bias, but I thought this was neat and worth sharing. Whether goreshit intentionally borrowed from the film, or it happens to be an extraordinary case of coincidence, it lead me to further appreciate both works.

Thanks for reading.