forum

Why does my hand shake this bad?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo
Yesterday I noticed that my hand shakes up alot while playing osu and today it got even worse :cry: . I recorded this play and as you can see, my hand shakes so much that that it looks like I have a parkinsons. What causes this and how can I fix this? Oh and I dont tense my arm at all, it was relaxed when playing :D

The video https://youtu.be/o5W6OY2nC7g?t=132

Update: I have started dragging and that resulted in that my hand shakes even more and destroys my aim which is horrible. Im thinking about quitting osu ;_;
dung eater
maybe http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... c-20177829
or some other tremor thing

go see a doctor if you are worried
Barusamikosu
I was shaking at the end of Gimme too tbh
E m i
raiguard
I have this problem too, though mine is caused by stress-induced anxiety that I was born with. Whenever I know I'm going to beat my high score (or get a full combo, for that matter), I tense up and begin to shake uncontrollably.

My suggestion is to constantly think to yourself "this play doesn't matter" or something along those lines. I've found that when I do that, I don't shake nearly as much.

I have a video of this happening to me here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67PENA6E4ig
winber1
possible causes:
1. you are actually tensing
2. you are lacking muscle.
3. you aren't dragging, and hovering is just making your arm tired. This is slightly related to item 2.
4. you are nervous
5. your grip/the way you hold your pen (for reference, my whole side of my hand including my pinkie and ring finger are settled on the tablet usually, which increases stability. i can't tell if you're doing that but it does not seem that you are).
6. you're gay

it's probably 6 tbh
mizuki-chan
I think you have to figure that out for yourself, but i feel with you in a way...
Im always pretty shaky when i get far in hard songs or when im about to FC something, for me because im getting so shitty nervous...i dont know why i cant just think "hay this isnt important" or "hay, i dont care about that run" without getting nervous.
chainpullz

winber1 wrote:

possible causes:
3. you aren't dragging, and hovering is just making your arm tired. This is slightly related to item 2.
4. you are nervous
5. your grip/the way you hold your pen (for reference, my whole side of my hand including my pinkie and ring finger are settled on the tablet usually, which increases stability. i can't tell if you're doing that but it does not seem that you are).
6. you're gay

it's probably 6 tbh
Could have just skipped to 6. Binwer/10
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo

winber1 wrote:

possible causes:
4. you are nervous
6. you're gay

it's probably 6 tbh
Everything except 6 is incorrect, I hover, I was not nervous, I did not tense my hand (Altough I felt alot of tensing in my forearm for some reason) I do have some muscles, I dont know what you meant about that tho and my grips (I use 2 grips, another one for stability and another one for speed) are like this: http://imgur.com/r9JU3I7 and this http://puu.sh/phJYn/fbe5a3e2a7.jpg
_handholding
I'll need to see a facecam before I diagnose the problem more accurately
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo

Kisses wrote:

I'll need to see a facecam before I diagnose the problem more accurately
My concentration face isnt that interesting
Dexus
Record a closer video of your hand while you play, it's kind of hard to see. Place it to where we can see your arm too. My first guess is you're curling your hand into your arm which makes it unstable and you could try move the tablet a little further away or your arm back some. Maybe give a different grip a try as well, one with your pen held more vertically or as you would while writing that doesn't cause your hand to deathgrip the pen but instead let it lay in your hand. You could also try a slightly larger area as that can help with pen shake, but it will nerf your aim speed. Winber touched on it, but you may be subconsciously tensing without realizing it. This happens to me but with my streaming arm and it makes it difficult to play as I've done it for years without realizing it. It helps to take breaks to remedy this issue, try watching some youtube videos to unwind a bit and then get back at what you were doing.
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo

Dexus wrote:

Record a closer video of your hand while you play, it's kind of hard to see. Place it to where we can see your arm too. My first guess is you're curling your hand into your arm which makes it unstable and you could try move the tablet a little further away or your arm back some. Maybe give a different grip a try as well, one with your pen held more vertically or as you would while writing that doesn't cause your hand to deathgrip the pen but instead let it lay in your hand. You could also try a slightly larger area as that can help with pen shake, but it will nerf your aim speed. Winber touched on it, but you may be subconsciously tensing without realizing it. This happens to me but with my streaming arm and it makes it difficult to play as I've done it for years without realizing it. It helps to take breaks to remedy this issue, try watching some youtube videos to unwind a bit and then get back at what you were doing.
Ill try to make a better video, and the grip I use in this video is the most common one, its very unstable but its easy to aim with. I have tried to change grips many times but the standard writing grip doesnt seem nice to me and I use alot of wrist movement in my grip. Its the standard grip but pen tilted 50 degrees towards the monitor, like HappyStick does. I have tried many other grips, pinky grips, calligraphy grips etc, but all they do is just end up tearing my cuticles on my fingers. I like the feel of the grip that hvick225 uses but the pen slips out of my pinky all the time. Guess Ill just have to try and find a new grip :)
winber1

DrSensei-Hugo wrote:

Everything except 6 is incorrect, I hover...
the point of number 3 was that you ARE hovering, and THAT is making you shake more. if you drag, some of the force to hold the pen/hand up is given to the tablet/desk itself, and the friction of the tablet will prevent the pen from moving depending on how hard to press down, thus making you less likely to shake as much.
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo

winber1 wrote:

DrSensei-Hugo wrote:

the point of number 3 was that you ARE hovering, and THAT is making you shake more. if you drag, some of the force to hold the pen/hand up is given to the tablet/desk itself, and the friction of the tablet will prevent the pen from moving depending on how hard to press down, thus making you less likely to shake as much.
The first tablet I had was Trust Slimline Widescreen, and you could not hover with it. You COULD hover with it, but the pen goes to sleep mode if you dont use it every 45 seconds. That meant I had to drag. And it was awful. I taped the nib so that it would not push out and I could hover with it, and I have done the same thing to my wacom. Thing is, I had to start dragging again, and it made me want to stop playing osu. My accuracy is alot worse when I drag, same for hover. So Im not going to play with the style that Im not comfortable with, especially if it makes me worse. Besides, what are the pros of dragging compared to hovering? #hover4ever
winber1
i literally just told you the pros of dragging: more stability lmao

do as you please, but i'm just saying you might still shake but not as much if you drag (probably)
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo

winber1 wrote:

i literally just told you the pros of dragging: more stability lmao

do as you please, but i'm just saying you might still shake but not as much if you drag (probably)
Lol Ill just make a new video where I have two gameplay of the same map on top of each other one of them being hover and other being drag gameplay
Topic Starter
Dr Sensei-Hugo

winber1 wrote:

DrSensei-Hugo wrote:

I bet that you are a dragger, too ;)
winber1
i used to full hover, then i did 50/50 hover and drag, and now i'm like 20/80 hover and drag. personally, i find it more stable and accurate when i play, but that's just me. so you are slightly right.
Suga-san_old
my right hand is shaking as well bc i overthink too much tbh
I Give Up
- pls enjoy game
- Drink lots of water stay hydrated.
- Don't lean on your elbow (tablet arm) or put strain on that shoulder.
- Don't squeeze pen too hard - you can use rubberbands around pen to strengthen grip.
- Relax your wrist (tablet arm).
- play more