forum

Unknown white border on image out of nowhere

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
unpro_old
I'm trying to make an partial duplicate image of the background to create an effect of partially hiding other storyboard images behind background. Initially this seemed pretty straightforward, but somehow a white border emerges when normally png images are borderless. Also, I have to mention that I'm a photoshop&storyboard newbie, so forgive me if I'm committing some kind of obvious mistake.

What you see in photoshop, saved as 640x480(same as background) .png because I don't want the nightmare of trying to align :o. Layer 3(the duplicate partial background), is made by "layer via copy".

What you get in osu:

I tried blurring the borders in photoshop and got a blurred border, which completely doesn't make sense :shock:, there isn't even a white border line in photoshop :? :

Please help me solve the mystery.
Torran
Related topic: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21669

First, I would try re-saving the image in Paint.NET.

If that doesn't work then:

MetalMario201 wrote:

Add a one-pixel thick outline of white with 1% opacity.

This is a design concept flaw in texture fitering on graphics accelerators: alpha channels are scaled before they are multiplied instead of after.

osu! can't do anything about this.
In your case I think you should try adding a one-pixel thick outline of black with 1% opacity.
Topic Starter
unpro_old
Re-saving the image in Paint.NET gives a black outline, alas still visible.

Then, I tried adding the one-pixel thick 1% opacity in Paint.NET in 4 ways.
1. black outline on the outer-most line
2. black outline outside
3. white outline on the outer-most line
4. white outline outside

1,2 and 3 still gave a black outline, while 4 gave a white outline.

The black outline:

Method just in case I'm doing it wrongly:

I also went back to photoshop to ensure that it is aligned down to the pixel, nothing seems to be wrong there.

Any other ideas?
Topic Starter
unpro_old
Oh well, I noticed that having full sized images(even when it's mostly transparent space) causes SB load to increase significantly. Since I am still planning to do more storyboard, I've decided to do each part individually. Apparently, image "border border" is not affected by this glitch, so I'm left with 2 small glitch borders which I am somewhat okay with.

If you still have suggestions to fix it, I am happy to try them so that future storyboard makers can find this thread if they meet this bug. In any case, thank you soradg123 for the help! :)
LuigiHann
Hard to tell exactly what you're going for with these screenshots, but you could try just making a low-opacity border using the image itself (that is, create a second layer with a slightly larger rectangle cutout, and fade that to a low opacity) or even just make your border that reddish color that is prominent in your background to minimize visibility.