forum

Osu! in VR interest?

posted
Total Posts

Would you play an Osu! VR game for the Vive?

I have a Vive and I would
11.82%
I don't have a Vive but I would
62.73%
I would not
25.45%
Total votes: 110
Topic Starter
ejmejm
Hey guys,
I was just playing a bit with my friends vive when I stumbled on audio shield. I really love it, and I think it shows how much potential a game like Osu! has for VR. So my question is: would anyone be interested in a fan made version of Osu! in VR for the vive? The game would convert normal Osu! maps to a VR equivalent.
I've never worked with a vive, but I do have experience with developing games and developing for the Occulus Rift. This is a project I would love to pick up.
iAmAgEnT47
Making one for VR devices would be pretty cool, however since Osu! is a game based mostly on the PC it might be not possible, HOWEVER on the HTC Vive's case would have a potential, especially about the handheld controllers being the core gameplay of this VR kind of port. So quite saying many may not agree on making a osu! VR fan game.(however I agree about a Vive port,its interesting and im also quite curious about the handheld controllers for Osu!) But a Vive port has a potential.
bBattle2
I would be interested. Sounds like a nice idea. Would be nice to see how to play osu! with VR Vive. ^^
But I don't have a HTC Vive or any other VR yet... :(
(NVIDIA also says my graphics card is one card to low to get VR working, I think it will work... even if NVIDIA says something else.)

Just a small question: Why converting maps? I don't think its necessary. It would only be required when all dimensions would be used.
If it's just like on the PC I can't find a reason why it would be necessary to convert maps.

But I'm not quite sure how well it would work with the controlls.
Topic Starter
ejmejm

bBattle2 wrote:

Just a small question: Why converting maps? I don't think its necessary. It would only be required when all dimensions would be used.
If it's just like on the PC I can't find a reason why it would be necessary to convert maps.

But I'm not quite sure how well it would work with the controlls.
Just to clarify first, the system would work as follows:
The notes would start in the distance and then approach you, and once they hit a certain threshold you would hit them with your vive controller. So while the setting may be 3D, the map is still essentially 2D. That way the beat maps could be converted from 2D to "3D."

I'm a little confused by your question. If you are asking why convert the actual files (which is what I'm pretty sure you are asking), I would't. When I say convert, I just mean create a new system that interprets Osu! song files. That was my bad for not clarifying.
If your question was why take normal Osu! maps and use them in a VR version, it would simply be to have the large library of songs that already exist.
abraker
VR doesn't seem to be a platform on which most arcade and rhythm games would thrive on mainly because it adds nothing better to the experience. Making arcade and rhythm games 3D without having the 3D element be part of the gameplay is nothing but eye candy. Typically games which contain a 3D environment like shooter games or 3D platformers would be better suited for VR.
Bara-
I think everyone will break their neck with big Black...
I do want to try this actually, sounds fun ^_^

Also, didn't peppy post this as April's Fools Joke?
Ephemeral
i've been dicking around a bit on osu! with a HMD (DK2) and while it is *cool*, it doesn't really confer much to the game other than a sense of novelty

there's also fuckhuge latency on HMD displays currently
AlexanderGround
I've a Vive and I think that rhythm games are (In fact) the way to follow, platforms games have problems with locomotion and shooters feel without power (there isn't sensation of the impacts).

Audioshield proves me that even without follow the music completely has a lot of potential so I Would love a mix between Osu and Audioshield that takes the community and the good timing to another level.

There is a modder trying to make something similar in audioshield (but seems that it would be really hard to solve in the near future).
There is a vive demo that brings Osu directly to a vr with a tridimensional 3d but it lacks pretty far of a playable version.
The Gambler
If not our necks it's probably our backs that will get screwed over.

Unless we have foot trackers that allow us to play osu DDR-style
JashanChittesh

AlexanderGround wrote:

I Would love a mix between Osu and Audioshield that takes the community and the good timing to another level.
I've just seen this thread a minute ago, had already posted in others: We have added osu! beatmap support a few weeks ago in Holodance 0.5.8 (we're currently at 0.6.1), and while we're still polishing things, quite a few people already gave us feedback that they really love it! Originally, we wanted to add our own native beatmap editor and 3rd party file format support in "Episode 2" of the game but have ditched the "episodes" altogether and focus on osu! support, StepMania support and our own native beatmapping at the moment, and osu! happens to be the first that's already playable.

Here's a video of 0.5.8 (quite a few fixes have happened since then - but we haven't done a new video, yet):