forum

Hardest video game you've encountered?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rantai
I'm currently in the pursuit of tough games and I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread on this.

So I'll go ahead and say F-Zero GX for me, combining a difficult story with the fact I suck at racers, this game still has me failing even after 7 years of playing on and off.
OzzyOzrock
Hmm, official video games? (guess that rules out computer stuff?)

To be honest, I actually found the Metroid series really hard. Specifically Echoes. I never got past the second boss.
Topic Starter
Rantai
Yeah I had official games in mind, but really, whatever comes to mind is good XD
awp
Captain America and the Avengers for the SNES.

I remember 95% of it being easy, but the final boss being essentially impossible.
Mara
osu!
Loginer
Yeah, it's not a real video game if it wasn't published by EA or Activision.

I Wanna Be The Guy, no contest. Hardest game without cheap deaths would probably be Super Meat Boy.
adam2046
I'll tell you when I've finished all the games that aren't the hardest.
Zekira
This should probably be split into the different video game genres, and I'm assuming this is also limited to single player games

Right now I can really only name IIDX, which actually induced a wound on Frionel's elbow trying to actually clear something on what I think is the hardest chart of some song :/

IMO, no physical pain = not hard enough; headaches are the most common since most games really have non-complicated controls
Crimmi
for me it would be Silver Surfer for the NES....... *shudders* -.-
Zlew
reflec beat
WhoAteFred
Animaniacs for the SNES. I don't think I ever beat a stage other than Aquatics. Either that or Aladdin for SNES.
Mara
Also, Duty Calls was really hard.
Ekaru
When I was a kid, Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, no contest. See, I raised 6 Pokemon evenly but skipped all the trainers I could and ran away from most wild battles. This resulted in me having a team of level 31s or so by the time I got to the Elite 4.

Now that I'm older though, DDR. Some charts physically exhaust me. A few I can't even do.
awp

Ekaru wrote:

When I was a kid, Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal, no contest. See, I raised 6 Pokemon evenly but skipped all the trainers I could and ran away from most wild battles. This resulted in me having a team of level 31s or so by the time I got to the Elite 4.
idk I beat Red with a level 45 team. It was by the skin of my teeth but still made a statement considering he was level 80+
Zekira
Now in HGSS you can actually beat Red with a team of level 2 FEAR Clefables; Hail is lol
Xanek

Loginer wrote:

I Wanna Be The Guy, no contest.
Behon
I try and stay away from games that are hard just for the sake of being hard like Super Meat Boy and I Wanna Be The Guy, but Donkey Kong Country Returns had levels that took me over 30 tries.
awp
I didn't think Super Meat Boy was hard just for the sake of being hard; I thought that was just what the bandages and warp zones were about
OzzyOzrock
Syobon Action 2, now realizing that it's not just console games.
WhoAteFred
Any I Wanna Be.... games are up there honestly, not just IWBTG.
I'd like to change my pick to Blasto for the PS. Oh god that game.
Pokebis
I don't consider IWBTG to be that hard. Honestly I think Super Meat Boy was harder than it. IWBTG is just a memory game, once you know what's coming there's not much of a challenge left.
I can't really think of the hardest game right now, but Ghosts 'n Goblins/Ghouls 'n Ghosts are pretty damn hard games, you had to play them twice to beat them basically.
Shinde
Battletoads for the NES. I never really encounter difficult to beat games on 'stock' difficulty settings. Now with games like osu!/online etc. there comes the difficulty of being #1 amidst a giant community, but I don't think those qualify due to their nature. If built in difficulty settings count, I would say when I tried God of War 2 on Titan difficulty or whatever.

I'm curious about Super Meat Boy now.
Lybydose
Original Everquest (before the fourth expansion)

Game was BRUTAL
Firo Prochainezo

Pokebis wrote:

I can't really think of the hardest game right now, but Ghosts 'n Goblins/Ghouls 'n Ghosts are pretty damn hard games, you had to play them twice to beat them basically.
Pretty much this. I got really irritated when I had to start the game all over again in Ghouls'n Ghosts.
SargentPie
hrm... I have played a LOt of games before, but I haven't really played too many HARD games...

Well, one thought would be contra 3 for the SNES. There's a easy mode, but anything after that you need extensive and hard training.

Also, there's Earthbound for the NES. I'm not an RPG guy, so I sometimes suck at them. But Earthbound's a fricken nightmare! I keep backtracking, running out of PP, dieing from felling strange or even geting in place of no return to find that you need an item to get to a certain point!

the F-Zero series is pretty brutal... But then there are SOME songs on osu! the really piss me off...
ploxerdon
ninja gaiden 2 for xbox 360
on mentor,never came farther then lvl 2.
insane boss+exploding shurikens=no
Metroid
Halo 3 Legendary.... Takes me hours to finish one level.
SPOILER
"You face opponents who have never known defeat, who laugh in alien tongues at your efforts to survive. This is suicide." - Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 Description... IT IS SUICIDE!

Touhou Imperishable Night... Anything above Easy.... and easy itself.... inb4 EasyIs4Children.jpg

Devil May Cry 4 on harder difficulties... I forget the names of them atm.

Maple Story's grindfest leveling system... (Though Big Bang patch has eased it a large amount)

Oh, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (I mean the first two on GC and Corruption, not the watered down versions ported to wii) on Hyper Mode.
Mara

Metroid wrote:

Halo 3 Legendary.... Takes me hours to finish one level.
Are you serious? All Halos are easy, even in Legendary. (No comment about Reach though, since I have never played it)
FisHie_old

Metroid wrote:

Halo 3 Legendary
/facepalm
Firo Prochainezo
Halo 3 Legendary
derp
Crakila
Robot Unicorn Attack
Pokebis
The first time I played through Halo 3 was on Legendary...
MoodyRPG
Virtual Bart for SNES!!
AzureDraco_old
Hmm...some hard games ive played
Id guess ninja gaiden or bart simpson on NES
SNES reminds me of skyblazer...maybe i suck at platformers because those games are only things that remind me of hard games
Topic Starter
Rantai
I'm going to add Tokyo Bus Guide on the Dreamcast.

Was playing it again the other day and remembered just how frustratingly perfect you have to be when driving your bus :S

Best I did was 1 minute on the first course.
awp

Rantai wrote:

I'm going to add Tokyo Bus Guide on the Dreamcast.
My brother has that game and, best I can tell, he loves it.

I wasn't much of a fan. It sure is difficult though.
hinamizawan
Counter-Strike with cheaters osu! on insane modes
icy_rose
To be honest, Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds World Championship Stardust Acceleration QwQ
mekadon_old
Farmville... loljk

Touhou, Left 4 Dead 2 (Expert)
Pizzicato
Heroes of newerth.
Community is damn retarded.
Vish024
I wanna be the guy, without a shread of doubt for me. Any subtle mistake and BAM. And I make a lot of silly mistakes in everyday life :(.
heintsi

Pizzicatto wrote:

Heroes of newerth.
I agree with this, it's like closed circle where you can't get in. In League of Legends the community is much more understanding and not so full of elitists.
luis_napster
super mario brothers 2 i never pass this game :(
DaceGiga

heintsi wrote:

Pizzicatto wrote:

Heroes of newerth.
I agree with this, it's like closed circle where you can't get in. In League of Legends the community is much more understanding and not so full of elitists.
I second that. HoN needs an IQ test in it's registration page.
[DG2L]YungYeezy
Pokemon Black and White. If the 6th generation comes out, I just might as well kill myself.
Ekaru

icy_rose wrote:

To be honest, Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds World Championship Stardust Acceleration QwQ
Oh God, I could never beat that one. The sequel is a good difficulty level, but that one? That one had some frustrating moments, especially with those 4 fucking clones...
rust45

Shootinglight wrote:

Pokemon Black and White. If the 6th generation comes out, I just might as well kill myself.
Really? I find it to be easier than HG/SS and I raised a team of 6 in HG/SS and I'm raising a team of six right now. Course, I'm not done completely but so far the only trouble I've had was with the first gym leader.
Ivalset

luis_napster wrote:

super mario brothers 2 i never pass this game :(
Game owned.

Actually, I'm not sure if it's really a good mario game, but it's an awesome game. I remember it being a bit tricky but I was like five when I played it so I'm not sure if it's actually difficult or me being stupid/retarded as a kid.
Pokebis
It's actually pretty difficult.

Also, if you have trouble in a Yu-Gi-Oh game that just means you suck at Yu-Gi-Oh.
Unless they implemented a stupid motorcycle mechanic.
OzzyOzrock

Pokebis wrote:

It's actually pretty difficult.

Also, if you have trouble in a Yu-Gi-Oh game that just means you suck at Yu-Gi-Oh.
Unless they implemented a stupid motorcycle mechanic.
Card games on motorcycles?
show more