forum

osu! community meeting #3

posted
Total Posts
show more
Gemi
Oh, waking up 7 in the morning.... not nice. Or maybe I'll just stay wake for the whole night instead of going to bed at the usual 3 or 4 am. I'll be there anyway.
xerxes_oli

Loginer wrote:

I'll be there.
goody...
Loginer

xerxes_oli wrote:

Loginer wrote:

I'll be there.
goody...
Hey, I can be serious when I feel like it. <.<
lukewarmholiday

Loginer wrote:

xerxes_oli wrote:

Loginer wrote:

I'll be there.
goody...
So can I...
Loginer

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Loginer wrote:

xerxes_oli wrote:

goody...
So can I...
Not funny. :(
mattyu007
me wanna go
me sees that it's gonna be 12 AM...
me disappointed
me realizes that me stays up past 12 neways
me wonders how long the meeting is gonna be
Loginer
The last meeting was "officially" almost 3 hours long, but after about one and a half hour, we just kept going off-topic until everything went to hell. :D
awp
Expect 2 hours.
peppy

Loginer wrote:

TBQH, I can't think of anything we need to discuss, though. :/
Oh, I have plenty to discuss with you. *fetches whip* >:(
Rolled

peppy wrote:

Loginer wrote:

TBQH, I can't think of anything we need to discuss, though. :/
Oh, I have plenty to discuss with you. *fetches whip* >:(
hot.
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Saturos
*grabs popcorn*
RemmyX25
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
YoshiKart
Loginer
YoshiKart
I'm still thinking about the Avatar finale. That's what got me distracted. >_>

Loginer wrote:

I'm still hiding. ;_;
May I ask what? :P
Loginer

YoshiKart wrote:

I'm still thinking about the Avatar finale. That's what got me distracted. >_>

Loginer wrote:

I'm still hiding. ;_;
May I ask what? :P
peppy's whip.
James
I'LL BE THERE (i'll be there) << baywatch theme
P-Drogan
I'll look forward to the meeting :D
kingcobra52
Count me in.
RemmyX25
Shiiiiitttt Mom and I are on bad terms again so she pulls the internet plug on me every night now. What am I, 4?

But seriously, now I'm not sure if i'll be there but i'll try my best.
awp
Try finding a wireless hotspot or something idk
Fraeon
Will (probably) be there.

Depending on whether I'm nuts that day or not.

It'd be 07:00 here.

Fuckers.

Download: Rita - Sun (Astom) [Lizbeth].osu
Loginer

RemmyX25 wrote:

Shiiiiitttt Mom and I are on bad terms again so she pulls the internet plug on me every night now.
It's the other way around here. When my mom first came home, she wanted me to pull the plug every night. Then I taught her how things work in here. >:3
peppy
Added a brief topic list here.

Reply if you see something missing!
Gemi
We should probably do a list of feature suggestions that need descussion on them so we could get input at the meeting. There are some proposed bigger changes on the forums which need more input, so listing them and giving people the possibility to check on them beforehand would be nice. I can scroll the forums a bit if required to search larger promising change suggestions.
peppy
Gemi
I meant all of the suggestions made on the forums which are larger in scale, such as this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4215
peppy
Ah, sure. If you could compile a list, that would help much!
Gemi
I've gone through the first 6 pages and this is what I have so far. The whole discussion might not be available at the url posted, there are lots of things that have been discussed on irc or partly in other topics.

The multiplayer mod system - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3530
S+ rank - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4215
Advanced score screen - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4096&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10
Changing the efficiency in web stats - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3983 (there are other suggestions elsewhere, couldn't find 'em though)
Groups/teams/guilds - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3674
awp
A number of people have been asking about the ability to add friends within osu!, but idk if that's more of a feature request left unposted than something to tackle at the meeting.
mattyu007
Just found out I can't make it to the meeting :(
Gemi

awp wrote:

A number of people have been asking about the ability to add friends within osu!, but idk if that's more of a feature request left unposted than something to tackle at the meeting.
I think the friends request and the teams/groups/guilds suggestions are tied together, an that's such a large thing that I think it's worth discussing.
YoshiKart
In three hours, correct?
machol30

YoshiKart wrote:

In three hours, correct?
Oh! It is?! I hope I can be there. Parents may bug me to get to bed. :(
If I can, don't expect me there for long. >_>
GPZrag
what is this meeting you are talking about?
Saturos
Be here in 3 hours and you'll find out.
Agent BA8 Rookbie
I might be there. Depends on two things. Scratch that, three things.
1. Whether I'm right on my "It's on the internet" hunch
2. If I can stay awake till 5:00 in the morning.
3. If I don't get bored halfway though waiting. Seriously, bored.
I really hope the sweet melodies of Aerosmith can keep me awake.

Hitoshirenu Shourai
If Bancho is resurrected before I go to bed, I'll try to attend. =o
mattyu007
wait.... the meeting's in about 1/2 an hour right?
machol30

mattyu007 wrote:

wait.... the meeting's in about 1/2 an hour right?
Yup... and I'm pretty sure I can be there. for a little while at least. :P
YoshiKart
US Eastern troubles?

Same here. :)
mattyu007
YEAYY!!11111 I'll be there :P

...well might miss the very beginning of it....

...and the very end of it...

...there's always the summary of all the things discussed at the meeting after it's over right? guess i'll just read that to find out what else i may have missed...
RemmyX25
For anyone wishing to contribute to this meeting:

/join #meeting

will get you into the meeting area. Please be aware as this is NOT the hangout channel.
YoshiKart
While moderated mode is on, I'll just diligently display my thoughts/ideas here:

Mascot/Dancer

- a system in the editor's Design tab, that lets the creator pick the dancer move (aligned to a note/tickonthetimeline), pick another move on another note/tickontimeline, then have the moves smoothly follow though (and have the option to also end out the move, let the dancer wait [tap foot like Agent J to the beat], then follow to the next move. This way, the Design tab is functional (for the time being), EBA/Ouendan faithful creators can replicate dance moves, and the dancers won't be automated and feel more restricted to beatmappers.

- followup to system above. like the whistles and finishes, have all the Ouendan/EBA shouts recorded, and fully usable to any note in a beatmap. (awp, )this SHOULDN'T be the same as customizable hitsounds and such, where a beatmapper must record/rip/find shouts, then play it at the same time with a hitsound/whistle/finish played in one file. It should be separate and with the dancer system. Note: THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS THE SHOUTS FOR COMBOBURSTS.

Taiko

- Definitely not worth mentioning in peppy's eyes, so I'll put it here and not on the meeting...
Like someone's suggestion of a Rhythm mod (adamskii_uk?), I'd say we somehow keep the old , but perfected Taiko mode, which is exactly like the editor's timeline (except taiko speedups as they come in). I like the rhythm mod, since I hate the lag that my computer gives, but even I agree that it's kind of stupid, even if it helps me. But I want to play a beatmap without worrying about beatspacing, but in an Ouendan style play, not Taiko. Unranked, of course, just for fun. And sliders with repeats would look like ones in timeline.

- I said Taiko should be failable, w/ NoFail on as an option.Echo says unfailable, but Sudden Death as option. Either way, make it failable when user chooses it.

Grah, I've misunderstood and made an ass of u and me. "Not passing" as matty said.

Tutorials

Love to do some, but I don't have a bought version of FRAPS... >_>

- Finishing the osu! tuturial and including it to the game would be a great start to keep beginners hooked to gameplay, for the time being. (*looks at IRC again* I guess Sinistro suggested including the beatmap to downloading osu! while I was typing this)

Beatmap Moderation

- In addition to beatmap submitted cap, also have a cap on asking mods to delete existing beatmap threads. Finish what you have started! Don't let others clean your own mess! :P

- A checkbox for mods to a ranked beatmap. When checked, it shows that the creator, not the mod, did most of the work, mainly timing and timeline placement. When unchecked, it means that the beatmap submitting cap won't be loosened.

- In both completed and help/WIP sections, count a thread towards the beatmap submit cap. The threads include in-game submitted threads and threads where the user made a new thread maunally, and attached either an .osu, .osz, or storyboard file format. That way, a user can't sneak his way through a cap. Threads that only have questions on beatmaps in general (not asking for timing on song, etc.) won't count towards the cap.

Alright. I'm done. That's as far as I got when I was in the meeting. Hope those blocks of stuff up there help.
mattyu007

YoshiKart wrote:

Taiko

- Definitely not worth mentioning in peppy's eyes, so I'll put it here and not on the meeting...
Like someone's suggestion of a Rhythm mod (adamskii_uk?), I'd say we somehow keep the old , but perfected Taiko mode, which is exactly like the editor's timeline (except taiko speedups as they come in). I like the rhythm mod, since I hate the lag that my computer gives, but even I agree that it's kind of stupid, even if it helps me. But I want to play a beatmap without worrying about beatspacing, but in an Ouendan style play, not Taiko. Unranked, of course, just for fun. And sliders with repeats would look like ones in timeline.

- I said Taiko should be failable, w/ NoFail on as an option. Echo says unfailable, but Sudden Death as option. Either way, make it failable when user chooses it.
wow, you COMPLETELY missed the point of the taiko mod... The taiko mod was designed to simulate the feel of playing Taiko no Tatsujin. You can't "fail" in taiko...you can only "not pass" the song. The older taiko mod just removed all beat placement and moved the beats across the screen to a circle. Taiko gameplay is similar except that there are different kinds of beats (red/blue) and you hit them with the respective part of the drum (red/blue). You can see this video of the taiko mod and compare it to this video of the real taiko. As you can see, they are very similar in gameplay style which is what the taiko mod was designed for. Now if you compare it to this video of the older taiko mod you can see that it is basically notes running across the screen...Not sure what else to say here, but I think LuigiHann suggested some easy taiko mod that would be like the older taiko mod...We'll see after the meeting ends :P
Loginer

Mogsy
Don't feel too bad, I missed it, too.

I'll be reading up on what was discussed, though.
YoshiKart
I wanted to stay up, but my dad was on to me. >_>

Matty: When it comes to Taiko, don't mind me. Seriously, the only time I played Taiko was on the Japanese DS version, where I multi-ed with someone. I don't own the game.

Whatever is the real Taiko "not passing" mechanics, I'd say for osu!, go for it. I just assumed there was failure (as in stopping mid-song, not keeping going and say you failed at results).

Speaking of the original purpose of Taiko, I thought it was to create an inverse to Relax, which was "screw beatspacing and just click". Since there isn't really any great Taiko sim out there, as I've heard, I'd definitely agree with peppy replicating an actual Taiko game. But I just wanted to suggest having a simple, getridofbeatspacingproblems mode. Minor extra. And yeah, this minor extra could go with LH's Easy&Taiko mod select. Only red notes and forgiving hit timing. BUT... is this Easy&Taiko combo giving an Ouendan slider (hold the button) or a Taiko slider (drum roll)? And is the spinner a denden, or a spinner?

Err... I hope I made my point. ;-;

EDIT: To make myself more clear, "fail" means stopping mid-song and saying you suck... sort of. "Not passing" means, like turning on NoFail in osu!, but still reached a failable point, and still going on. o_O
awp

YoshiKart wrote:

- followup to system above. like the whistles and finishes, have all the Ouendan/EBA shouts recorded, and fully usable to any note in a beatmap. (awp, )this SHOULDN'T be the same as customizable hitsounds and such, where a beatmapper must record/rip/find shouts, then play it at the same time with a hitsound/whistle/finish played in one file. It should be separate and with the dancer system.
I think you completely missed my comment on this. You can have the Ouendan/EBA shouts appear at certain combobursts exactly the way that OEWY already does it. No custom hitcircle tampering - just name your cheer sounds as comboburst-0.wav, comboburst-1.wav etc for however many cheers there are and drop them in the map's folder. There's no custom finisher tampering whatsoever.

Or storyboard them in, too. You can do that if you want.
LuigiHann

awp wrote:

YoshiKart wrote:

- followup to system above. like the whistles and finishes, have all the Ouendan/EBA shouts recorded, and fully usable to any note in a beatmap. (awp, )this SHOULDN'T be the same as customizable hitsounds and such, where a beatmapper must record/rip/find shouts, then play it at the same time with a hitsound/whistle/finish played in one file. It should be separate and with the dancer system.
I think you completely missed my comment on this. You can have the Ouendan/EBA shouts appear at certain combobursts exactly the way that OEWY already does it. No custom hitcircle tampering - just name your cheer sounds as comboburst-0.wav, comboburst-1.wav etc for however many cheers there are and drop them in the map's folder. There's no custom finisher tampering whatsoever.

Or storyboard them in, too. You can do that if you want.
AWP, in Ouendan those chants occur at scripted parts of the song, not at certain combos. They add to the rhythm of the song that way.

Either way this will probably go in the advanced sound options which is planned but distant.