forum

Fast Jumps / Quick Cursor Movement

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
herrkamink
So one major flaw in my playstyle that I have been noticing and trying to get rid of since several months is fast, quick jumps, often in some tiny pattern, typical triangle or square, you know what I mean. (Long text inc with tl;dr at the end - so no worries)

Let's take a map for example: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/524900&m=0 this may be 232bpm but since the version we are taking a look at is 3.95* it's not the end of the world. This: ( http://puu.sh/p07fA/0df80222a0.osr ) is my best play on this map after ~100retries from 4 months ago. I was pretty happy with how far I could combo the song despite having trouble in the beginning with the fast jumps that often occur in the song. Now I didn't play the map every day since this play but I certainly didn't stop playing osu! and thus if I play this map nowadays THIS: ( http://puu.sh/p07lf/04b97c5a6c.osr ) is the typical result. The 500+ combo play seems really lucky to me, I think I was just getting it right because after playing the map like 40 times in a row I managed to hit them for once.

So how do we go about these quick jumps? Over the past months I have learned how to hover and my dragging is still averagely usable I guess. This type of fast jump pattern seems like the wall I need to get over to evolve my playstyle to the next level since on multiple occasions I have misses on maps but only 1/2 100's because I didn't hit the notes, thanks to me not being able to play this 'pattern', or in general the fast jumps. Now, I look at my playstyle and my own replays sometimes and it just in general baffles me how one manages to do these quick jumps, for me it looks like it requires a completely new muscle memory to learn and to be able to pull off successfully. Trying the typical 'play more' on maps with these patterns is heavily frustrating since it's not a case of failing to follow the rythm and getting 100's or 50's but rather a completely seperate playstyle block, which makes retrying or playing some maps tiring and more like a chore rather than having fun while learning+playing the game. It's not a case of "shoot I missed this part again" but rather getting better accuracy on some maps with retries but keeping the same amount of misses while mastering the rythm and tapping part of the map. I have some plays where I literally only have this couple of misses as the only acc drop. Hence why I almost exclusively have DT finishes in my top plays now, because getting frustrated on Nomod jumps was not fun for me.

About my grip(s): When I drag(ged) or hover my pen seems to always be held down at an angle which results in it being in a somewhat awkward position when I need to get to the edge of the screen since my fingers are like scretched out holding the pen which is (in my opinion) maybe a problem in the regards of being able to pull off quick jumps because this is a disadvantage for fluid movement. I have many maps in which I have close to FC finishes from a few months ago that I nowadays can't even get above 100 or 150 combo because of constant misses in jumps. And while the Tengaku map from above is only 3.95*, I was beginning to play 3.9~4*+ maps 5 months ago and you could say I do not only have not made any improvements in that regard but seemingly gotten worse as a result of it.
I spoke to someone about my playstyle and after showing some replays and being spectated it was concluded that it maybe was my reading, which I tried to improve by playing a bit of EZ or AR8 sometimes here and there to get more into reading but that didn't really work out for me. I also was told that I am propably leaving notes too early, which I tried my best to look at and notice and try to improve myself, but even when I play a really easy map it feels to fast to even be able to grasp the few milliseconds that I should stay at one circle and focus only on moving to the next circle - rather than focusing on completing the map as a whole pattern. ( I am not saying 'ugh after 1 month of trying to improve I didn't get any results? Wtf is this shitgaem' but since I am pointing out map finishes in comparison to my skill from over 5 months it baffles me to how I could maybe have developed bad habits or maybe have started to go about these jumps completely wrong in the first place)

Another example of why just casually trying to play map become incredibly frustrating: Map: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/800901&m=0 Replay: http://puu.sh/p09Wa/66276a82b8.osr (don't mind the artistic writing during the break)

TL;DR, my question to you guys: Quick Jumps/Fast Cursor Movement: Any specific grips/techniques that maybe use hover&drag or things to try out to achieve better cursor movement? Any good maps to train this type of jumps, maybe slower to work up to the speed for those jumps (No AR8 though, I can't really read it)? Any suggestions on better hand positioning?
Love to hear suggestions or tips, thx in advance! (don't bother with play more though, I'm getting back to playing right after this post)
gooder101
use grip that is most comfortable for you and let you reach all the corners as well.
if you play whole the time maps that are slow or too fast you will achieve nothing if you want to be faster play something above 10 or 20 bpm .
and ofc when you play the map even if it's long don't retry or quit play it till the end.
if the table area is too big make it smaller.
the only way to get used to playing some patterns is by playing them,like a lot and if you don't have fun while doing it quit or keep being crap at them.
in the end if you keep on playing easy stuff with no dificullity or complexity you will suck,improvement is slow and so are you so go smash those buttons
mizuki-chan
I'd say grip is hard to decide... i have to change my grip again cus my middle finger starts hurting alot(pen/mouse hand).
I cant tell you "use grip which is comfortable to you", because for me NO grip is comfortable. Its something to get used to for longer period of time(at least for me)
PinkNightmares
It may be a reading issue, your top plays seem to be harder in terms of speed.
Frolski
Play the game instead making topics how to improve.
kurodahatsuharu
improve your no mod play. You are farming PP DT. The low star play don't really have what you need to improve jumps or stream, you just improve speed.
Vuelo Eluko
improving your no-mod skill is like hacking in this game, it's stupid how much better dt scores you can crank out afterwards.
StephOsu
play more