forum

[resolved] Keyboard works fine, but key bindings aren't work

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
verycoolclara
Hello,

Started up osu! for the first time in a little while, but was unable to play because it seemed my keys (A and S) weren't registering at all. Tried going into options to rebind the keys, but it doesn't seem to recognize any keys besides escape, caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock. I'm still able to search through my beatmaps just fine, however. I found threads here, here and here that match my problem, but none of them provide concrete solutions.

Things I've already tried:
rebooting
updating Windows
reinstalling osu!
reverting to Fallback version
enabling/disabling mouse buttons
using another keyboard

Relevant specs:
osu! version: 20160403.6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Boot Camp partition)
Ducky Shine 3 keyboard

The novelty of playing with the caps lock key wears off pretty quickly, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Bara-
Do those keys work when you type In chat/search for a song in-game?
Topic Starter
verycoolclara
Yes, all the keys work just fine when chatting/searching in osu. The issue is when I try to bind regular keys (a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, etc) in the options menu, it seems like they aren't recognized, no matter which ones I try. Even if I manually edit the config file to the keys I want to use for gameplay, (A and S), the specified keys don't work while playing. I can still bind certain keys, though. Modifier keys, tab, home, backspace, and the three lock keys are all can be binded, and do work in game, but that's not at all ideal.
Houtarou Oreki
Idk what is that panel with squares you have there but if it does any input to your pc (like controllers for mania) try unplugging it. Just make sure there isn't any hardware/software that could mess things up. Just a suggestion, as I said I have no idea what is that and this post is probably useless xd
VeilStar
I doubt there will be, but can you check the runtime.log file found in the Logs folder (inside the osu! installation folder) and see if there's any related error messages there? Also, does the same thing happen with a different keyboard?
Topic Starter
verycoolclara
@Houtarou Oreki
I ended up unplugging all my hardware except for my mouse, keyboard, and audio interface from your suggestion, but looks like that didn't do it. Tried disabling some software that could potentially interfere as well, (bluetooth, logitech mouse driver), but that didn't work, either. Thanks for the help, though. Was worth a shot.

@VeilStar
I've tried another keyboard, yep. It acts the same way in that I can't bind keys, but can still chat/search. Took a look at the log file as well, and looks like you're right, there's no errors on it.
Houtarou Oreki
Try out changing input to other language maybe. Starting osu as an administrator?
Topic Starter
verycoolclara
Finally found the solution! Synergy was the culprit. I killed all of it's processes and the keyboard went back to working flawlessly. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
AvaLorsucks
Hello I am from the future jk
Uhm I have the same problem too I hope you notice it, may I ask how you actually done the synergy thing I really wanna know 😣😓
Adr053
Hello I have the same problem
- Marco -
Please, write a new topic for your issue