forum

Make CtB rankable... [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Weez
Topic says it all. Why not make CtB rankable. Kind of unfair to see taiko maps rankable but CtB is not. Why is it even unrankable? If the map is done well like this why stop it? Answers please :O
James2250
If you do 3 things you can have this~

1. Make the dev. team create a ctb icon so people can see ctb maps on the pending list
2. Create a stable set of guidelines that everyone can agree on to make sure all the maps are fair and stay within a certain standard
3. Get peppy to agree that specific ctb difficulties are needed in osu!
rust45
All of the things he just listed btw, seem highly unlikely. I think it might work to keep it unrankable and then when I map gets ranked with a ctb diff, they make that one diff unranked, so it's kinda there for novelty. Especially since people work on those diffs, so working on them, and then just deleting them for ranking kinda sucks. But I really don't think CtB will be rankable. It doesn't help that as a game mode made in this game, it can't rely on what it's trying to emulate (like normal and taiko) for help on the guidelines.
Kakarotto_old
People don't like, very simple.
ziin
it seems that a lot of songs in normal osu are quite easy on ctb (so long as you're somewhat decent). While in some ways it shouldn't be hard to map a ctb difficulty, then move the beats on the y axis properly to have a suitable normal osu beatmap, this probably wouldn't be a very good map.

I can't see any good reason why ctb is unrankable other than the fact that it's not played enough (which is not a good excuse).
Derekku

ziin wrote:

other than the fact that it's not played enough
It's not? o.o

James2250 wrote:

2. Create a stable set of guidelines that everyone can agree on to make sure all the maps are fair and stay within a certain standard
Pretty much this. There are currently no guidelines for what is acceptable within a ctb-only difficulty. The ctb diffs I've seen are crazy insane and looked like they were mapped solely for the purpose of being ridiculous. Since most osu! standard maps translate into nice (or decent, at the very least) ctb maps, then there's really no reason why ctb-only diffs should be ranked. Case closed.
Topic Starter
Weez
Guess that makes sense but why in editor there's an option for CtB specific map anyways?
James2250

Weezy wrote:

Guess that makes sense but why in editor there's an option for CtB specific map anyways?
These days I am actually not sure, I guess so people can see how it works? Might be removed in the future
Haneii

James2250 wrote:

These days I am actually not sure, I guess so people can see how it works? Might be removed in the future
No don't remove it! :o I always use it to check how well a certain pattern I make plays in ctb.

I also use the option to practice really hard ctb sections in some songs (instead of playing the whole song over and over again I can just focus on the parts that I have trouble with :P )
Gens
I'd imagine it'd be removed from the editor only, but still available through .osu editing. It might not be as handy but would avoid some confusion.
Kitsunemimi

Haneii wrote:

No don't remove it! :o I always use it to check how well a certain pattern I make plays in ctb.

I also use the option to practice really hard ctb sections in some songs (instead of playing the whole song over and over again I can just focus on the parts that I have trouble with :P )
That's abusing it. :T
Haneii

Kitsunemimi wrote:

That's abusing it. :T
/me shrugs
Kind of exploiting editor aren't I? *nervous laugh* But if it wasn't for editor, practicing those 4-5min+ songs would have fractured my wrist

Afraid this might help me beat you mimi?
OzzyOzrock
I was thinking of this recently as well. There aren't really any sort of guidelines to CTB as it's more of an original game, than taiko which is a real franchise and this just emulates it and stuff. So we actually know what's a good taiko map, other than CTB in which it's just "make it fun somehow".

Either way, CTB diffs usually transfer really well from standard osu! difficulties. For taiko, not really. Unless it's taikosu!, but that's on purpose and you're still mapping for taiko either way.
Ephemeral
CTB only difficulties are pointless to begin with since any well made osu-standard map will translate across perfectly into a CTB map.
Inamaru

Ephemeral wrote:

CTB only difficulties are pointless to begin with since any well made osu-standard map will translate across perfectly into a CTB map.

Sorry but you're wrong....
i don't know if you play ctb... (probably not)
but 2/4 - 3/4 of osu standard maps are too easy to play with, in ctb. I'm not saying that for each difficulty level (easy, normal, hard...), a level must be created for ctb, but at least something that is "hard" enough for this game mode, because some levels are really simple to play (from easy to insane). Most of the ctb players (pros, at least), infact, play TAG4 because it's the only method to compare theirselves in this game mode (it's not the only one, but it's a good example) or a use a lot of mode... (hidden+ hard rock and much more)

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Either way, CTB diffs usually transfer really well from standard osu! difficulties. For taiko, not really. Unless it's taikosu!, but that's on purpose and you're still mapping for taiko either way.
you're wrong too, because there are maps in which ctb doesn't work "properly", for some game problems... see: "strange program Lesjuh's TAG" http://osu.ppy.sh/s/5774
or TAG4...

PS:Sorry for my bad english.
OzzyOzrock
That's one map (but not the only one I guess). And it's hardly possible for standard osu! as well. Chances are if it's hard on standard, it's also hard on CTB.
Inamaru

OzzyOzrock wrote:

That's one map. And it's hardly possible for standard osu! as well. Chances are if it's hard on standard, it's also hard on CTB.
u joke?

ok yeah its hard....
But The standard osu! pointer can reach any speed since it's moved by your hand, while the CTB character moves at a fixed speed!
Lunah_old
Yeah that's really, most of "Insane Maps" are just Hards in CTB , btw i support this idea although denied
Claudia_old

Inamaru wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

Sorry but you're wrong....
i don't know if you play ctb... (probably not)
but 2/4 - 3/4 of osu standard maps are too easy to play with, in ctb.
Maybe because CtB as a whole is easier than osu! standard and Taiko? Catching fruit isn't exactly the hardest thing ever.
I know people are going to argue with me, but to play any map that's Hard or under in CtB is easier than in Standard. [then again, I do suck terribly at standard].
Yet you can't tell me you don't have a challenge with Insane maps, because they're just that, Insane.
You don't have to use a billion mods or play superhard maps, unless you want a serious challenge.

And before you go saying I don't play CtB, you're wrong>_>..., it's more of a hobby but I honestly feel as a Taiko/CtB player that almost any map is excellent when it comes to standard vs. CtB.

If you think you get the short end of the stick, try some hard maps on Taiko sometime that aren't Taiko/taikosu only. There are some maps so dreadful they're nearly unplayable, just because they don't make the transition from standard to Taiko very well.
Kitsunemimi
There are a couple of maps that are harder in CtB than they are in standard (for the reason which Inamaru mentioned), but most of them will turn out more easy.

I think I'll go with what Ozzy said about how CtB doesn't really have it's standards of a "good map" yet. Perhaps some time later, the game will be more well defined; there will be certain "fun" jump patterns, we'll know what to expect, etc. So basically that means if there is to be any CtB difficulties, it'll be later in the future.