forum

Quick and simple hitcircle base with Photoshop.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NEET_s21
Im going to show you how you can quickly create hitcircle base for you to mess around using Photoshop.

1. Lets start by creating a new document 256px by 256px
  2. Now fill our layer with black color by pressing Ctrl+DEL or using Bucket tool which ever suits you.
  3. Select Eclipse tool and click on our black square. Window will popup type in 250 for both width/height
  4. Put it in the middle of you document(hold CTRL and drag it ) , fill it with white,no stroke
  5. Duplicate our eclipse layer and name new one 'overlay' for convenience
  6. Hide 'overlay' layer by pressing on a eye left, we dont need it right now.
  7. With our 'eclipse 1' layer selected press CTRL+T, hold SHIFT and use a corner to resize our circle, we want it to be a bit smaller. After resizing put it in the middle again.

Now we are going to make a hole in the middle of it.
  1. Right click 'eclipse 1' layer and chose "Rasterize Layer"
  2. Right click on a thumbnail of 'eclipse 1' layer again and chose "Select pixels"
  3. With our pixels and 'eclipse 1' layer selected create a new mask by clicking on box under our layers
  4. Press CTRL+I to invert our mask, and unlink it so we can move it freely by clicking little chain between our mask/circle
  5. Select our mask by clicking on it, press CTRL+T to resize it we want it even smaller and put it in the middle again

At this point we will have something like this
  1. Now lets create Adjustment layer to visualize how it will look, this can be done by clicking on black/white circle under our layers
    img
    img]http://i.imgur.com/8AAriUW.png[/img]

In it we want to check 'colorize' and make "Lightness" darker. By messing with top 2 sliders you can chose which ever color you want it will not impact end result since we are going to render it as white anyway osu will do coloring for us later.
  2. Drag our new adjustment layer in between 'overlay' and 'eclipse 1'
  3. Hold ALT and click between adjustment layer and 'eclipse' no clip them together (not necessary, but still good practice )
  4. Now hide our adj.layer and 'eclipse 1' and turn overlay on, again by click on a eye left side of our layers.
  5. Select 'overlay' layer, we are going to repeat couple of steps we did before with our 'eclipse 1' you can refer to it if you missed something
  6. Right click 'overlay' layer and chose "Rasterize Layer"
  7. Right click on a thumbnail of 'overlay' layer again and chose "Select pixels"
  8. With our pixels and 'overlay' layer selected create a new mask
  9. Invert mask by pressing CTRL+I and unlink it
  10. Select our mask, press CTRL+T, hold SHIFT and resize it, this time we want it a thicker circle that will lay on top of you initial eclipse.
  11. Turn on our 'eclipse 1' and adj.layer and we should end up with something like this.

When you are 'happy' with the results and dont want this much 'blockyness' go ahead and apply 1px Gaussian Blur to our 'overlay' layer (select overlay layer navigate on top Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur)
At this point you have your base just mess around with fillers/effects whatever you like.
Just remember this
'overlay' will be on top and you could color it anyway you want, dont limit your self with this one
'eclipse 1' you can mess with shape/shadows, but i'll suggest keeping it white since that part is going to be colored by osu!

Now we need to render it.
Hide all layers except for 'eclipse 1'
Goto File>Export>Export As
Format : PNG
Transparency : checked
Now for HD keep Scale at 100% and name your hitcircle@2x.png
For SD set scale to 50% and name your file hitcircle.png
----
I suggest doing it both ways.
Repeat again with only 'overlay' layer visible name it accordingly hitcircleoverlay/hitcircleoverlay@2x
irrlux
That's a very effortful way to create a simple circle ;)
G3T
For reference: if you're looking to make @2x hitcircles/slidercircles that exactly match the slider outline then the exterior diameter needs to be 236px and the interior diameter needs to be 208px (i.e. the circumference has a width of 14px).