forum

Osu Installer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
TheLeviathan
Make osu installer better.

For people who are installing osu for first time, kinda confusing to choose install path. I recommend to make a good visible button to be pressed and choose installation path instead of text randomly on the installer that isn't even highlighted or something. Also that 10 second time to choose path of installation? I mean what the actual heck? Why is it even exist i can't get it. Why it is can't be better step by step installer, to look on terms of use, and then click next to choose installation folder and so on.

To make it clear first time i've installed osu it was in the directory by default, /docs/user/temp/... or whatsoever, and that is a hidden folder, so every time i wanted to have access to osu folder i had to make visible hidden files and so on...
Really annoying.
Seijiro
Moved
pixeldesu

TheLeviathan wrote:

For people who are installing osu for first time, kinda confusing to choose install path.
Depending on the users, most people tend to just install software to default locations. And in osu!'s case I believe there are multiple factors (which I'm currently not aware of, I think it was related to accessibility) that make it a good thing that it's default install location is your AppData folder.

TheLeviathan wrote:

I recommend to make a good visible button to be pressed and choose installation path instead of text randomly on the installer that isn't even highlighted or something.
I agree on this, a small pink button still fits from the general look and would make it more obvious that you can change the install location.

TheLeviathan wrote:

Also that 10 second time to choose path of installation? I mean what the actual heck? Why is it even exist i can't get it. Why it is can't be better step by step installer, to look on terms of use, and then click next to choose installation folder and so on.
Simple, the installer is now just the updater. Almost like the most bare version of an MMORPG launcher. Always maintaining an install script which needs to be rebuilt for every mayor release is way more work than just having an downloader that automatically fetches the latest build of the game.

And the 10 seconds are enough time in my eyes, by then you should have noticed the text to change the installation location, and the timer stops anyway if you choose to change it.

TheLeviathan wrote:

To make it clear first time i've installed osu it was in the directory by default, /docs/user/temp/... or whatsoever, and that is a hidden folder, so every time i wanted to have access to osu folder i had to make visible hidden files and so on...
Really annoying.
Usually, players don't really need to access the games files, Songs and Skins are imported with special archives by now. Other than that, you can just access the folder in there, if you need to do something with the files and live with that.
Topic Starter
TheLeviathan

Pyuru wrote:

Depending on the users, most people tend to just install software to default locations. And in osu!'s case I believe there are multiple factors (which I'm currently not aware of, I think it was related to accessibility) that make it a good thing that it's default install location is your AppData folder.
I will disagree with this. Most of the people, have specified location on their PC where they like to install games - like Local Disc D: / Games . Simply to keep their games together and don't overfill system folders or Local Disc C , which can make you PC run slower (talking about Windows systems). And i have like 200 GB of games installed, and my disc C is only 150 , but my D disc is 850, so of course i install all of my games on disc D, even if game is "small" like osu (of course 10 gb of songs in it is not count as part of game lol)

Pyuru wrote:

Usually, players don't really need to access the games files, Songs and Skins are imported with special archives by now. Other than that, you can just access the folder in there, if you need to do something with the files and live with that.

Usually players do need access to game files, i have so many song in my phone that i copyed from osu, and if not osu, i wouldn't even find those songs.
Also you sometimes need access to game files if you are mapping / skinning etc.
pixeldesu

TheLeviathan wrote:

Usually players do need access to game files, i have so many song in my phone that i copyed from osu, and if not osu, i wouldn't even find those songs.
Also you sometimes need access to game files if you are mapping / skinning etc.

TheLeviathan wrote:

I will disagree with this. Most of the people, have specified location on their PC where they like to install games - like Local Disc D: / Games . Simply to keep their games together and don't overfill system folders or Local Disc C , which can make you PC run slower (talking about Windows systems). And i have like 200 GB of games installed, and my disc C is only 150 , but my D disc is 850, so of course i install all of my games on disc D, even if game is "small" like osu (of course 10 gb of songs in it is not count as part of game lol)
You are right, of course. But the demographic can't say most or just some players do that, as people are known to just click on "Next" on the Installer all the time, caring only about the fact that there is an icon in the desktop or quickstart they can click on.

As mentioned before, instead of osu! picking C:\Program Files\... it now picks the AppData folder because of some accessibility issues regarding files that were occuring for some users.

What I agree on is making the button/text to change the installation location a bit more obvious.