forum

Alive?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
Anybody here know how to check whether you are alive or not? I mean sure I am breathing, but I might be dead and breathing for all I know. Heck, how do I know something else is not doing the thinking for my dead brain?
Railey2
For some people you can't even tell the difference when they are alive.
Railey2
The problem of induction questions if inductive reasoning can lead to true knowledge.

People tend to use intuitive reasoning intuitively without thinking about the implications and how shaky their mechanisms to gain knowledge are, in a philosophical sense.

They take it for granted that something will happen, based on prior experience (people die when they are killed), even though you can't be sure if you die when you are killed, without being killed at least once.

Have you ever been killed? Can you really claim that people die when they are killed? If Socrates is a man and all men are mortal, does it follow that Socrates mortal? If you can't be sure that Socrates is mortal, does that mean that Socrates is in reality not a man until he dies, or does it mean that all men die when they are mortal but they can't be men without the mortality that they are supposed to have because they are men who are supposedly mortal, which you can't prove until they die when they are killed.

Now this might be confusing to some but it makes sense really. If you are mortal you die when you are killed and you are also a man. Therefore If abraker is a man, he is also mortal, which means that he is Socrates.
silmarilen
You're basically asking what the definition of being alive is, which is a way too philosophical question.
Railey2

silmarilen wrote:

You're basically asking what the definition of being alive is, which is a way too philosophical question.
I wouldn't say that its a philosophical question at all. I'd treat it as biological condition with clearly defined characteristics. Regarding abrakers post, there is a philosophical component to it, but it has little to do with metaphysical claims, its more about epistemology, which I poked fun at before.

Anyways, here is the medical part of it:

Since there is no unequivocal definition of life, the current definition in biology is descriptive. Life is considered a characteristic of something that exhibits all or most of the following traits:

Homeostasis: regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature

Organization: being structurally composed of one or more cells — the basic units of life

Metabolism
: transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.

Growth: maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.

Adaptation: the ability to change over time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity, diet, and external factors.

Response to stimuli
: a response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion; for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism), and chemotaxis.

Reproduction: the ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism, or sexually from two parent organisms, "with an error rate below the sustainability threshold".

These complex processes, called physiological functions, have underlying physical and chemical bases, as well as signaling and control mechanisms that are essential to maintaining life.
Cyclohexane
Yuudachi-kun
19:50 - FuZ: what is that scroll speed are you fucking retarded
19:50 - FuZ: make it faster
19:50 - FuZ: how can you read that
Rilene

Khelly wrote:

19:50 - FuZ: what is that scroll speed are you fucking retarded
19:50 - FuZ: make it faster
19:50 - FuZ: how can you read that
lmao
whats the static scroll speed?
or variable scroll speed with BPM?
Yuudachi-kun
EDIT: I'll just upload a video and let you guess

Variable bpm

Rilene
that seems like average speed but *good* acc
Yuudachi-kun
Apparently it's like 1/4 the scrollspeed of my other mate.
Rilene
oh wow, 3rd/4th time of your speed is really hard to read
even the double speed of your current speed is decently hard
dem speed readers
Topic Starter
abraker

Railey2 wrote:

These complex processes, called physiological functions, have underlying physical and chemical bases, as well as signaling and control mechanisms that are essential to maintaining life.
My body can regulate an internal environment to maintain a constant state as my body maintains a constant temperature of 37 deg C. My body is composed of more than one cell. My body supports metabolism and it grows and ages. My body is capable of adjusting to environments as my body's skin does get darker under excess of ultraviolet radiation. My body response to stimuli as it is capable of inducing a sneeze when there is something in the nose. My body is capable of reproducing as it produces fertile sperm cells.

Given all of this, at least I know my body is alive. Each cell in my body is functioning and working with all other cells to run the organism that my body is. However, am I alive if all of this is being maintained without a single thought? Am I alive if my mind is transferred into a machine?

I still think and therefore I am, though. It seems to be that while my body is alive, I, myself, am not alive.

I am but not alive.
Yuudachi-kun
abraker what do you know of this
Rilene

abraker wrote:

body's skin does get darker under excess of ultraviolet radiation
Endie-
I'm dead inside
Hyde
try not to fap for a month. you will find out that u are alive less than in a week i assure you!
Rilene
but they might suffer badly
Yuudachi-kun
Whoever deleted both my posts is a cunt.
FuZ

Khelly wrote:

Whoever deleted both my posts is a cunt.
quoted so that cunt will have to delete 2 messages

if you could also delete my very offensive avatar while you're at it

thanks doggy