forum

Jimmy Eat World - The Middle

posted
Total Posts
show more
NatsumeRin
sorry for my very late.... orz.

Red: You must fix this.
Blue: You'd better do sth with this imo.
Green: Just suggestions.

[General]
not really sure about timing, i got about:
BPM:162.408, offset:370

[Relaxing]
some sliders start from a red line... imo not fit in such a diff. but whatever... it's not hard for even beginners.
i don't think stack leniency need to be this low in such a easy diff.
00:52:092 (1,2) - spacing
01:11:671 (2) - it should be on axis-Y but now it's not = =
01:23:492 (2) - finish?
01:33:836 (3) - finish at the end?
02:43:655 (5) - replace with a circle + 1/2 slider at 02:44:024? fits better imo, and you could also use a perfect symmetry here.

[Average]
01:22:569 (4) - start 1/2 earlier.
01:23:492 (1) - why no kiai here in this diff? you have kiai at other 2 diffs.
01:52:676 (1) - end 1/2 earlier.

[lepidon]
01:53:045 (4,9) - d
01:54:708 (16) - d

kiai part is much harder than the other parts (though still easy).... i doubt if it's fine

[Tough]
01:16:289 (3) - split this into two sliders, since you use 01:15:550 (1,2) for the first "everything" lyric, and i think you should follow this too.
01:29:403 (3) - finish?
01:42:332 (2) - new combo?
02:40:330 (3) - finish?

nice map. feel it similar to Krisom's = =...
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo

NatsumeRin wrote:

[General]
not really sure about timing, i got about:
BPM:162.408, offset:370

Derukku checked the timing, it seems fine for me but I'll re-check.

[Average]
01:22:569 (4) - start 1/2 earlier. Seems better if the slider starts with the vocals imo.
01:52:676 (1) - end 1/2 earlier. It's ok since it ends with the sounds of the drums imo, and it's normal so meh.

[lepidon]
01:53:045 (4,9) - d
01:54:708 (16) - d

kiai part is much harder than the other parts (though still easy).... i doubt if it's fine
I'll call Lepi when I get some more mods >w<.

[Tough]
01:16:289 (3) - split this into two sliders, since you use 01:15:550 (1,2) for the first "everything" lyric, and i think you should follow this too.
Since the slider is using repeats it's ok for me.
Verdisphena
8-)
Derekku
[General]
*sliderball b0 and b10 are the same. Is that intended?
*Perhaps duplicate the default numbers and use them for score as well? (with the extra symbols, of course)
*Also, some of the numbers have some pixels from aliasing/cropping around them, but it's not too noticeable so it's fine.
*Just thought I'd point out that the first inherited section in each diff (except for Taiko) is unneeded. You can just change the inherited section's sampleset and use that instead.
*Perhaps end the first kiai section at 00:47:659 instead?
*Also, I'd like to see two extra kiai fountains in the last chorus where the music stops/restarts. 02:37:005 (1,2): End on 1, restart on 2; 02:39:961 (2,3): End on 2, restart on 3. I don't think that it's TOO spammy, but I think it's fine with two measures break between each new section just for this epic ending finale.

*Rainbow effects: Perhaps fade the green out from 01:21:645 to 01:22:015 instead of popping to another color before it stops at the end of the kiai. Then, do the same thing for 02:32:573 instead of just abruptly ending the green.
*Also, the rainbow colors are still a bit odd. Red->Orange->Yellow->Green->Blue->Pink->Purple->Loops back to Red doesn't work since $purple is more of a blueish color and just jumps back to $red instead of fading to it. Change $blue,$pink and $pink,$purple to $blue,$purple and $purple,$pink respectively for all loops and try choosing better colors for $blue/$purple (lighter for blue; darker for purple) to make the rainbow effect look much nicer.
*SBmask.png: Maybe fade it out when the song ends at 02:44:209 so that "The Middle" appears then instead of half a beat later. I changed the last two lines to F,0,11848,164209,1 and F,0,164209,,1,0 so see how you like that.

*01:55:631 - Pick some hitsounds already! This is what you currently have:
Relaxing: finish whistle finish whistle finish finish
Average: finish whistle clap whistle finish finish
Tough: finish whistle finish/clap whistle finish clap

-I prefer Relaxing's, but at least make them consistent. ;p

[Relaxing]
*Drain/OD are a bit low. Perhaps raise them each one tick?
01:56:185 (1) - A red tick note by itself on an Easy is usually unpredicable. I really suggest starting the slider here and adding an extra repeat.
02:34:420 - Ahhhhhhhhh I hate when a note doesn't accompany a kiai fountain. I suppose it's fine, but I'd really like for the slider to end when the kiai starts. ):
02:44:209 (6) - Again, a bit unpredictable for an Easy. How about making 5-6 a slider? Perhaps something like: http://puu.sh/177q

[Average]
*Some notes such as 00:26:603 (4,5) aren't stacking due to the low stack leniency. Fix this by raising the stack leniency at least one tick. (You should also check to see if any notes don't stack after raising leniency to make sure I didn't miss any)
00:35:838 (3) - Hmm perhaps new combo this jump? It fits, but I didn't except it at first since this is basically a Normal diff.
01:11:302 (3) - ^
01:54:154 (1) - Felt a bit short/rushed for a Normal. Plus, I don't like that (1) is only a beat after the spinner ends. How about ending the spinner at 01:55:631 (with a finish), and then trying something like: http://puu.sh/177O
02:09:484 (4) - Maybe new combo this? The gap between it and 3 looked strange.
02:19:458 (1,1) - Again, I don't like that there's a note only one beat after the spinner, so could you extend the spinner instead?
02:12:255 (2,3,4) - I think this and 02:35:158 (1,2,3) are the only places in the song where you use a 1/2 stream, which seems a bit inconsistent. They're also a bit more difficult than other places in the diff, so you might want to consider changing them.
02:22:229 (4) - same new combo suggestion for the jump; also, the second part of the second/third choruses don't have a jump at the beginning? o.o
02:43:655 (1) - Unrankable. The second repeat is hidden by the spinner's comboburst. One option is to shorten the spinner and move the slider somewhere else. Or, you could use a non-repeating slider and keep the spinner as-is since that's a bit easier than just a note one beat after a spinner.

[Tough]
*Again, I see stack leniency problems (00:54:678 (3,4) for example). Stack leniency will need to be raised at least two ticks to fix this.
01:21:276 (3,4) - I suggest spacing these out just a bit more so that they don't look like fake 1/2 notes.
01:43:625 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3) - This really doesn't flow that well. I feel like I have to force myself to really get it right, and that just shouldn't happen. http://puu.sh/178F or http://puu.sh/178K should feel muuuch much better.
01:49:721 (1,2,3,4) - Sounds a bit awkward to me. I expected something like http://puu.sh/178v or http://puu.sh/178w (I like the latter better since it covers 01:52:491).
02:13:732 (4,5,6,7) - I suggest spacing these out just a bit more so that they don't look like fake 1/2 notes.
02:18:904 (7,8) - ^
02:43:655 (2,3,4,5) - expected jumps or larger spacing here.

[Taiko]
*I don't want to break the authentic taiko paradigm, but it bothers me that the kiai starts on the downbeat instead of the second beat. D:
01:55:631 (22,23,24,25) - Expected the sounds to be reversed :s

There's only a few "big" issues in this mod, but the rest are suggestions that should make things much sexier. Let me know when/if you make changes and I'll gladly recheck.
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo
"Feedback"

Derekku wrote:

[General]
*sliderball b0 and b10 are the same. Is that intended? Oh nope, removed b10.
*Perhaps duplicate the default numbers and use them for score as well? (with the extra symbols, of course) Done, also added scorebar~ (The default one ovelaps with the SB)
*Also, some of the numbers have some pixels from aliasing/cropping around them, but it's not too noticeable so it's fine.
*Just thought I'd point out that the first inherited section in each diff (except for Taiko) is unneeded. You can just change the inherited section's sampleset and use that instead. Removed
*Perhaps end the first kiai section at 00:47:659 instead? Ok :3
*Also, I'd like to see two extra kiai fountains in the last chorus where the music stops/restarts. 02:37:005 (1,2): End on 1, restart on 2; 02:39:961 (2,3): End on 2, restart on 3. I don't think that it's TOO spammy, but I think it's fine with two measures break between each new section just for this epic ending finale. Seems cool, added.

*Rainbow effects: Perhaps fade the green out from 01:21:645 to 01:22:015 instead of popping to another color before it stops at the end of the kiai. Then, do the same thing for 02:32:573 instead of just abruptly ending the green. Ok, I did it manually, It was kinda hard.
*Also, the rainbow colors are still a bit odd. Red->Orange->Yellow->Green->Blue->Pink->Purple->Loops back to Red doesn't work since $purple is more of a blueish color and just jumps back to $red instead of fading to it. Change $blue,$pink and $pink,$purple to $blue,$purple and $purple,$pink respectively for all loops and try choosing better colors for $blue/$purple (lighter for blue; darker for purple) to make the rainbow effect look much nicer. Ok, Fixed.
*SBmask.png: Maybe fade it out when the song ends at 02:44:209 so that "The Middle" appears then instead of half a beat later. I changed the last two lines to F,0,11848,164209,1 and F,0,164209,,1,0 so see how you like that. Ok.

*01:55:631 - Pick some hitsounds already! This is what you currently have:
Relaxing: finish whistle finish whistle finish finish
Average: finish whistle clap whistle finish finish
Tough: finish whistle finish/clap whistle finish clap

-I prefer Relaxing's, but at least make them consistent. ;p
Lol, hitsounds consistent~

[Relaxing]
*Drain/OD are a bit low. Perhaps raise them each one tick? Fair enough.
01:56:185 (1) - A red tick note by itself on an Easy is usually unpredicable. I really suggest starting the slider here and adding an extra repeat. Replaced with slider~
02:34:420 - Ahhhhhhhhh I hate when a note doesn't accompany a kiai fountain. I suppose it's fine, but I'd really like for the slider to end when the kiai starts. ): Oh god, fixed.
02:44:209 (6) - Again, a bit unpredictable for an Easy. How about making 5-6 a slider? Perhaps something like: http://puu.sh/177q Ok :o

[Average]
*Some notes such as 00:26:603 (4,5) aren't stacking due to the low stack leniency. Fix this by raising the stack leniency at least one tick.
(You should also check to see if any notes don't stack after raising leniency to make sure I didn't miss any)
Oops, I was testing this and forgot to change it back, fixed.
00:35:838 (3) - Hmm perhaps new combo this jump? It fits, but I didn't except it at first since this is basically a Normal diff.
01:11:302 (3) - ^
01:54:154 (1) - Felt a bit short/rushed for a Normal. Plus, I don't like that (1) is only a beat after the spinner ends. How about ending the spinner at 01:55:631 (with a finish), and then trying something like: http://puu.sh/177O
02:09:484 (4) - Maybe new combo this? The gap between it and 3 looked strange.
02:19:458 (1,1) - Again, I don't like that there's a note only one beat after the spinner, so could you extend the spinner instead?
02:12:255 (2,3,4) - I think this and 02:35:158 (1,2,3) are the only places in the song where you use a 1/2 stream, which seems a bit inconsistent. They're also a bit more difficult than other places in the diff, so you might want to consider changing them.
02:22:229 (4) - same new combo suggestion for the jump; also, the second part of the second/third choruses don't have a jump at the beginning? o.o
Everything above, done.

02:43:655 (1) - Unrankable. The second repeat is hidden by the spinner's comboburst. One option is to shorten the spinner and move the slider somewhere else. Or, you could use a non-repeating slider and keep the spinner as-is since that's a bit easier than just a note one beat after a spinner. Used a hitcircle + slider and moved them down.

[Tough]
*Again, I see stack leniency problems (00:54:678 (3,4) for example). Stack leniency will need to be raised at least two ticks to fix this.
01:21:276 (3,4) - I suggest spacing these out just a bit more so that they don't look like fake 1/2 notes. You're right those look like fake 1/2, fixed.
01:43:625 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3) - This really doesn't flow that well. I feel like I have to force myself to really get it right, and that just shouldn't happen. http://puu.sh/178F or http://puu.sh/178K should feel muuuch much better.
01:49:721 (1,2,3,4) - Sounds a bit awkward to me. I expected something like http://puu.sh/178v or http://puu.sh/178w (I like the latter better since it covers 01:52:491).
02:13:732 (4,5,6,7) - I suggest spacing these out just a bit more so that they don't look like fake 1/2 notes.
02:18:904 (7,8) - ^
02:43:655 (2,3,4,5) - expected jumps or larger spacing here.

Done~

[Taiko]
*I don't want to break the authentic taiko paradigm, but it bothers me that the kiai starts on the downbeat instead of the second beat. D:
01:55:631 (22,23,24,25) - Expected the sounds to be reversed :s
/me calls Lepi.

There's only a few "big" issues in this mod, but the rest are suggestions that should make things much sexier. Let me know when/if you make changes and I'll gladly recheck.
Thanks a lot, I'll wait for Lepi's response.

Thanks a lot Derekku :3
lepidopodus

NatsumeRin wrote:

[lepidon]
01:53:045 (4,9) - d This makes the pattern exactly same as previous stanza.
01:54:708 (16) - d Previous stanza is all 'k's, so if I use too many 'd's, it would too depressed, maybe.
kiai part is much harder than the other parts (though still easy).... i doubt if it's fine Something like that exists a lot more than expected, so this one isn't that a problem, I guess.

Derekku wrote:

[Taiko]
*I don't want to break the authentic taiko paradigm, but it bothers me that the kiai starts on the downbeat instead of the second beat. D: Let's try new way then. Taikoland here is quite far away from the mainstream, so we don't need to stick too much.
01:55:631 (22,23,24,25) - Expected the sounds to be reversed :s fixed
Thanks for modding! (Arken might hate me, hehe.)

Download: Jimmy Eat World - The Middle (Gonzvlo) [lepidon! - Taiko Oni].osu
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo
Hey Lepi, Updated.
Derekku
General:
*Rainbow effects are nice and smooth now! :)
*I made the lifebar one pixel taller to fit the template size. Otherwise, there was empty space at the bottom which looked slightly odd.
Old: http://puu.sh/19iH
New: http://puu.sh/19iK
Download: http://puu.sh/19iL

Relaxing:
02:34:420 (7) - finish
02:37:005 (5) - finish the repeat

Average:
01:11:302 (3) - you forgot to new combo this jump :s
02:37:375 (1) - finish

Tough:
01:51:752 (1) - Try and get those sliderticks to overlap neatly ):
02:37:375 (2) - finish

Call me back for a bubble!
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo

Derekku wrote:

General:
*Rainbow effects are nice and smooth now! :)
*I made the lifebar one pixel taller to fit the template size. Otherwise, there was empty space at the bottom which looked slightly odd.
Old: http://puu.sh/19iH
New: http://puu.sh/19iK
Download: http://puu.sh/19iL

Relaxing:
02:34:420 (7) - finish
02:37:005 (5) - finish the repeat

Average:
01:11:302 (3) - you forgot to new combo this jump :s
02:37:375 (1) - finish

Tough:
01:51:752 (1) - Try and get those sliderticks to overlap neatly ):
02:37:375 (2) - finish

Call me back for a bubble!
Everything done. Thank you so much :D
Derekku
arghh I forgot to have you remove the finishes from 02:37:005 and 02:39:961 (since you now have some on the second beat of those measures to accompany the kiai).

Well, I won't stop that from giving you a bubble, but I can always rebubb if you want to change those.
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo
Hey thanks.
Oh I noticed those but it sounds fine imo, I will wait for next modder's opinion.
James2250
(Derek your mod posts aren't long enough :D)

-If I tell you to cut the unnecessary transparency off of 'hat' and 'thingy' will you hurt me?~
-Nazi: start the second break at 01:58:587 (on the white tick)

Relaxing:
02:33:496 (6) - kind of sounds odd how it is right now

Average:
01:52:676 (1) - sounds better ending at 01:53:784 to me (and is the next spinner meant to have a volume change before the end of it like that?)

Just some quick comments, call me back and I will rank~
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo
SPOILER

James2250 wrote:

-If I tell you to cut the unnecessary transparency off of 'hat' and 'thingy' will you hurt me?~
For some reason I find easier to place those files correctly without cropping them. (4kb and 5kb file)

Thanks James :D

Everything should be ready now~
James2250
All looks good (Gotta love those symmetrical patterns :P)

Ranked~
Krisom
Best gonz map ranked so far ~

You don't even need my help to get ranks anymore :')
(and lucky you, you get Derek mods like if they were easycake <.<)

Good job and keep up the good wor-*POKEPOKEPOKEPOKE*
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo

Krisom wrote:

Best gonz map ranked so far ~

You don't even need my help to get ranks anymore :')
(and lucky you, you get Derek mods like if they were easycake <.<)

Good job and keep up the good wor-*POKEPOKEPOKEPOKE*
Oh you

/ me POKES Krisom

<3

Already said it but thanks Derek and James :3
Mismagius
BEST FUCKING MAP EVER <3333333333
Tenshi-nyan
You should've made the cat in the BG look like Kyuubey.
That would've been awesum.
Verdisphena

Tenshi-nyan wrote:

like Kyuubey.
Le saque s a la primera 8-)
Congratz :D
lovhin456
Congrats !! :3
eee
THIS MAP IS AMAZING!
I love Gonzy maps, but this takes the cake, HANDS DOWN!
I just realized, some of the best mappers come from Canada. . .
ouranhshc

eee wrote:

THIS MAP IS AMAZING!
I love Gonzy maps, but this takes the cake, HANDS DOWN!
I just realized, some of the best mappers come from Canada. . .
isn't Gonz from Peru
Topic Starter
Gonzvlo
Lol yes, the flag is kinda similar~

However thanks guys.
Shohei Ohtani
That cat looks like it's having a wild party.
eee

Gonzvlo wrote:

Lol yes, the flag is kinda similar~

However thanks guys.
FFFFFFFFF~~~~~~
shoulda took some time to consider that. . .
dunno many mappers from Peru, so, so far, you're the best!
iArvee
Where can I find this skin? :3
OzzyOzrock
HOLY CRAP THE BG THUMBNAIL HAS FOUR BULLET POINTS

FOUR
Mr Gaddy
Oh god the skin
Oh god the everything.