forum

Rank Resets

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ich Bin Frosty
I've yet to see a good argument for why we can't have rank resets. The best anyone has come up with has been a simple "no". Maybe we can be a little more mature about this.

Ranking gets stagnant and once you hit that wall of difficulty/performance it's easy to lose incentive to keep playing. Rank resets would be nice to reignite that old fire and maybe feel accomplished again. Me personally I could care less about scores I set 2 years ago, but I wouldn't mind doing them again to simulate that first time. I really don't see why it's an issue.
Multtari
No

For most players there is hardly any positives, if any. This would also mean portion of the playerbase to be forced into redoing their old scores.

Even as an option this would not work as players would reset their scores on various reasons and then regretting it later.
Alpgh367

Militari wrote:

No

For most players there is hardly any positives, if any. This would also mean portion of the playerbase to be forced into redoing their old scores.

Even as an option this would not work as players would reset their scores on various reasons and then regretting it later.
It doesn't necessarily have to be rank reset for all users. If there's an option in the settings to reset your scores I think that would be fine.
Topic Starter
Ich Bin Frosty
Yea, I didn't mean like something mandatory. It should be an option for people that want to use it. Make it restricted to one time or only once a year or something. If they regret it then tough. It's the same as name changing. And it really isn't up to one person to decide if it would benefit for others, it's a personal choice
abraker
Deleting play history is frowned upon because this creates breaks within the player's progression. It's bad enough that players play offline, making it harder to figure out if the player is legit or not, but a total wipe would allow there to be what happened in Cookiezi's case all over the leaderboards. We know Cookiezi is legit when he made that jump, but go figure for other players. Currently one of osu!'s anticheat detection methods for the standard gamemode relies on this progression to decide whether to restrict the user or not for a potentially illigitimate play. Leaderboards will also be too chaotic and unreliable with hundreds of resets per day. We will see players wiping their scores because they want a perfect profile and then seeing them jump to 4 or 5 digits under a week. Finaly impending drama due to a regretful reset.
The Gambler
Sigh, anti-cheat is a hassle. When was the olden days that players would meet up to showcase legit DDR scores?

PP is a really outdated scoring system. Though not everyone does it, people just post handcams on youtube nowadays..

I'd like a reset to be synonymous with never being able to set online scores again (at least for a certain time period like 6 months, similar to bans). Unless people treat rank resets seriously then abraker makes a point.

Also similar to CoD Prestige levels, the rank resets can only be done at high PP counts. While costing an arm and a limb. Not only that but there should be a banner saying that they reset their account as well.

TL;DR Make it known, and make it hard. That should help keep track of accountability issues
Pawsu

abraker wrote:

Deleting play history is frowned upon because this creates breaks within the player's progression. It's bad enough that players play offline, making it harder to figure out if the player is legit or not, but a total wipe would allow there to be what happened in Cookiezi's case all over the leaderboards. We know Cookiezi is legit when he made that jump, but go figure for other players. Currently one of osu!'s anticheat detection methods for the standard gamemode relies on this progression to decide whether to restrict the user or not for a potentially illigitimate play. Leaderboards will also be too chaotic and unreliable with hundreds of resets per day. We will see players wiping their scores because they want a perfect profile and then seeing them jump to 4 or 5 digits under a week. Finaly impending drama due to a regretful reset.
Topic Starter
Ich Bin Frosty
abraker

_NekoYuno wrote:

Oh, http://puu.sh/qR0J8/d12c0579af.png
Well if it is reset on the same account and with a event notification like "peppy has reset his scores" or something, then it shouldn't be too big.of a deal concerning cheating. What is a bit concerning is the perfectionalistic nature this entails. It's like going to do plastic surgery to make a perfect face. It will be unusual and sometimes uncanny.

abraker wrote:

Finaly impending drama due to a regretful reset.
Topic Starter
Ich Bin Frosty
We'll just have to see how it rolls out, because that short sentence is all I've seen about it so far. Here's reddit post for better context.