forum

Reading Short Sliders Stacked with other notes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Swiftstylus
I can play insane maps of about 5* and anything below that, but for the life of me I can't play short sliders stacked with other notes in between and the more of them there are on the screen the hard it is for me to distinguish them.

Going from 3*-4* was a massive pain in the arse as every freaking hard map ever is built around this same short slider (sometimes kick sliders, sometimes not) into normal note back into slider crap that I really just can not read for the life of me.

I started doing jump practice and getting faster outside of actually playing songs as one of my friends said it might help me to play the actual rhythms and beats of the songs instead of the things I was having issues with and at some point I ended up bypassing the hard maps altogether and breaching on insane.

The problem with this is that I have a sinking feeling in my gut that it is going to burn my hide at some point down the road as I continue to improve and play more maps. Hell there are some maps that are in the 3-4* range which are nearly impossible for me, while the next level up or down is basically a free win. (or at the very least much easier)

This is the stuff I am referring to btw

http://imgur.com/PjucB62

This is what I'm talking about, you can see 2 notes followed by a kick slider and then what looks to be another kick slider right after. Yet in game I can't for the life of me read that crap.

I have a much easier time reading massive amounts of stacked notes or cross-screen jumps like in the various jump training maps (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/110557) for example. In fact I'm almost to the point of being able to clear the first 3 maps of each of Rezoons' jump training maps, yet I can't do something so simple as these stupid short sliders.

For the love of God how do I fix this??!

Also, can we just skip over the redundant "play more get better" posts. Tips on how you deal with these note groupings or maps where I can practice this more specifically would be great, but no one ever gets anything out of those stupid play more posts.

I was trying to find tips for this topic but everywhere I look for slider practice is some crazy star tier like 7 or 8. What kind of player gets to that point before they realize they can't play a specific pattern?
theLiminator
Play easier maps and learn to read.
Yolshka
*poor english*
Hmm I don't see a problem with those.
The way I would do it (using your picture as an example here) is to start the triple as usual but hold down my finger a little on the 3rd note.(slider)
Then start the next slider with the other finger.
These are fairly common I'd say, although I was under the impression that people liked these, a nice way to finish streams.Well at least I like them.

Also Hard diffs are hard , they are a big jump from normals.
Off the top of my head i can't name a map with this, since there are so many, but if you feel like you can check out my top ranks to see if you find any, I remember playing these.

Other than that I wish you good luck!
have fun learning.
:)
Topic Starter
Swiftstylus

theLiminator wrote:

Play more easier maps and learn to read.
You don't really see these patterns until you hit 3-4 star hard maps though, and by then it just sort of smacks you with it in the face.

Also, this basically falls under the redundancy clause I mentioned. I know I can search out lower tier maps, but with the map database so large, it isn't that easy to find the maps that would work for practicing this sort of thing. Especially considering that you can't see the gameplay of a map before you download it and actually go through the map yourself. If I were to look at every single possible map for that, I'd be wasting a huge amount of time that I could actually be playing something that would legitimately help me get better.

Maybe you could be a bit more helpful and post a map link rather than just saying crap like "play more."
Topic Starter
Swiftstylus

ShadyAngel wrote:

snip
I hate the things cause they always throw me off. I can stream for long periods, jump the entire screen, and do other various patterns like squares, but this just causes me to fail a map so fast...

Thank you for the tips though
Saphirshroom

Swiftstylus wrote:

I hate the things cause they always throw me off. I can stream for long periods, jump the entire screen, and do other various patterns like squares
No. No you can't.

You don't see those patterns you're talking about in stars with a lower star rating because there's a giant hole in your skill tree if you don't learn how to play easier maps first. Train 2-3 star maps before worrying about something like that.
N0thingSpecial
Treat those kicksliders as a single note that you need to press millisecond longer, so in your case it looks like a tripple with a slider that spans 1 beat,
So you treat it as a tripple and just hold the third note longer, there really is no easier way to read it, it is just some so fundamental that you have to learn.

Also no you can't stream for a long period of time and do cross screen jumps, you have no idea how triggered I am right now by this statement
winber1
most of the short sliders like these are either 1/2 tick or 1/1 tick spaced apart (which correspond to eighth notes and quarter notes if you are musically inclined than using this random tick measurement). what is required is for you to be able to read the approach rate and/or the time when the notes appears and correlate that to when you should hit the note. it is often very easy to notice and read a 1/2 tick (or eighth note) difference in rhythm, but not so much a 1/4 tick (or sixteenth note) difference in rhythm. so that is something you should work on, which literally just requires you to play more of these kinds of maps. also getting an understanding of corresponding finger clicks to the number of circles in a stream will help nailing this problem down as well imo, i.e. being able to read burst streams very quickly an easily. for example, assuming you start on z to stream, it will help to learn whether to press twice (and end on x) or three times (and end on z again) or press four times (and end on x) and etc.

Many people often use one key to press kicksliders or repeat sliders of similar sort (so they would just press z over and over again as if they are single tapping). Other people like me often alternate these kinds of sliders (so z x z x etc.) So try varying ways to which one makes the most sense to you
Deva
Play more.

If you think thats a shitty advice that wont help you please quit.
PinkNightmares
If you can't play a specific pattern hit the edit mode and retry until you get it. Also don't claim you can play 5* maps when your top plays are under 20pp because it makes you look bad.
TMiracle
*looks at rank and top plays*
*sigh*

go back to ~2,5 stars.
All you do is mash buttons randomly - that is not playing. Eventually it's gonna become a bad habit and it will take weeks if not months to fix.