forum

Delete username & password data from .cfg after exiting [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
mekadon_old
Certainly this thing I'm requesting isn't only for privacy, but more towards security. Discuss.
Might be an option though, aka toggle xDxD
Carlos
Just deleting the Password must be ok, because im too lazy to write my user name all over again every time i run osu!, a togle should help, maybe.
Aurele
I'm saying yes to this. But when logging in, it should have a way to "Save Password", maybe?
PROGUY
Nice 2-year necro, but either way I support this.
James2250
Same convo here I believe
p/943662

As far as I know it's impossible to un-hash text once it has been put in the .cfg file (or at least very difficult), so not sure I see the problem.
Azure_Kite
It's not "Impossible", as the password is stored as an md5 hash, but in all honesty, unless you have a dictionary with half a bajillion results and/or a year to crack a single password, it's really nothing to worry about. All I can say is practice smart password usage, never use words as your passwords, mix it up every so often, and try to use more than 8 characters or more in your passwords.
MillhioreF
The issue isn't cracking the password, I don't think anyone sane would do that... but if someone got their hands on the md5 hash, they could just copy+paste it into their own .cfg and be able to log in even without knowing the password!
Azure_Kite
The only way they could do that is if they were actually at your computer, or you were somehow able to be silly enough to write a program that would read the osu.<user>.cfg file specifically for that line and upload it somewhere.

That small possibility itself could be solved by removing the password from the cfg file, I guess. I haven't heard of such an issue EVER occurring, though.
Rei Hakurei
i don't even support this,
use multi user at your computer for safer (also, i'm always go to many places so many settings is set), as per username is stored different file.
(also, i hate using login everytime)
peppy
Online games in general don't store passwords (LoL / SC2 / any MMO you can think of) and I'm not sure I agree with storing it anymore. It has kind of just "been there" since 2007. I'll review this in the near future and likely change the way this behaves, at least giving the user the option of storing or not.
Kurokami

peppy wrote:

... at least giving the user the option of storing or not.
If you remove the auto store, this will be the best. I don't want to write in my username/password everytime I want to play.
It takes 20 seconds.
/me runs*
Rei Hakurei

Kurokami wrote:

peppy wrote:

... at least giving the user the option of storing or not.
If you remove the auto store, this will be the best. I don't want to write in my username/password everytime I want to play.
It takes 20 seconds.
/me runs*
auto store username and password toggle? i hope so, because 'current toggle' is enabled by default :)
ann_old
I say please to a toggle if this happens, I don't wanna type my password over and over again when I start the game :l
Sakura
Something like "[ ] Remember Username [ ] Remember Password" would be nice (and disabling the 2nd one if the first one isn't checked)
Rei Hakurei

Sakura wrote:

Something like "[ ] Remember Username [ ] Remember Password" would be nice (and disabling the 2nd one if the first one isn't checked)
and it was under logged in as [USERNAME] or login screen it could be fit.
PhiLL A
please don't disable it peppy
jabberwockey

Sakura wrote:

I agree and also make " [ ] Auto Login" an option too if you do implement this, I hate clicking Login all the time because yeah I'm really lazy
ann_old

Shoily wrote:

I agree and also make " [ ] Auto Login" an option too if you do implement this, I hate clicking Login all the time because yeah I'm really lazy
Indeed!
Hurray for lazy people
MillhioreF
This got added (you can now choose whether or not to save these on exit)