forum

Circle Size and Approach Rate Should Be More Weighted in CTB

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner
I currently have 1250 SS ranks in Catch the Beat. Most of those scores are from the 1.8 star and below difficulty range maps. Around 98% of all of the SS ranks that I have obtained took one to three tries. A few took anywhere from four to fifteen. I was fine with the amount of tries even if it took ten or so. Everything was going great until I ran into Pixel Studio - Gravity [ZOMGWTF]. I've tried that map 226 times and I haven't even gotten half way through with the perfect mod on. If you don't know what this map is then you are in for a treat because it has a CS of 7, an AR of 10, an OD of 10, and a HP of 9. With Catch the Beat, the map requires fantastic precision and memory.

Is my lack of ability to get a SS rank on this map because I'm simply just not good enough? Yes, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this map should, in no way, be only 1.49 stars in Catch the Beat. Now, I don't claim to know the intricacies of the formula for the Catch the Beat star difficulty rating, but I think something needs to be changed. Simply weighting approach rate and especially circle size extremes should be able to bump this map way up to at least closer to where it should be.

I do recognize that changing a formula that applies to 40,000 maps to address a problem in only one map would cause more problems than it would fix, but this formula change would beneficial for all small circle size maps. It is consistent that the low circle size maps take me much longer to SS than maps with a normal circle size. In fact, all of the maps that took me more than around six tries were the under-weighted high-CS maps. Through this, I genuinely believe that this change will improve the level of polish in osu!, if only slightly.

Thank you for reading! Have a good day.
Bara-
I think the problem lies in that specific map more then in your playing skills. Having AR10 and CS 7 on a map is already overkill.
If this request is for balancing star rating more (at least, this is how I understand this), you're better of here --> t/181851
Topic Starter
Sleepteiner

Bara- wrote:

I think the problem lies in that specific map more then in your playing skills. Having AR10 and CS 7 on a map is already overkill.
If this request is for balancing star rating more (at least, this is how I understand this), you're better of here --> t/181851
Thanks for the suggestion on where to post this. I'm going to do that now.