forum

(Idea) Community Run Unranked Scoreboards

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chainpullz
So it's been a popular suggestion in the past that ppy implement scoreboards for unranked maps and it's pretty clear it's not ever going to happen (it goes against the spirit of the map ranking system or w/e). Officially implemented scoreboards would be great since they are automated and such but let's be real, some of you nerds have a lot of time and we could realistically implement these as a community and have it managed by a council of you nerds. Unfortunately I have real life nerd obligations that prevent me from being a full on internerd so I'm just going to toss this proposition out there and let you guys swarm on it like a pack of angry sharknerds.

Proposition: Using google doc's (or the like) implement a system whereby users can submit scores for unranked maps by posting a screenshot (including UR) and replay file (in some forum thread maybe?) to be vetted/added to a scoreboard spreadsheet.

Limitations:

1) The number of unique scoreboards supported would be limited by the number of people managing them

2) Unranked maps are often updated which would require occasional scoreboard wipes (alternatively could just have a document per map and make a new sheet whenever it's updated)

3) The integrity of the scoreboards would have to be pretty much entirely community driven. This is where the requirement of screenshot with UR and replay file come in handy.

Implementation Suggestions:

1)

KukiMonster wrote:

You should probably start by selecting a map pool of difficult popular maps that not many can pass. As you gather more members then you can expand your map pool to not so difficult maps (~7 star) and so on.
Example:

Postscript: hopefully we can get some discussion on this. I'll try to add to limitations section if anyone brings up additional good points. We could probably run the actual scoreboards out of the tournament subforum. If someone wants to actually take the initiative to form a management team and get started on this go ahead, I'm merely trying to poke some nerds into action. ;)
winber1
i mean of course this would be cool to have, but it requires quite a lot of time and effort to maintain it properly and organized. And it really requires a lot of people to know about this, otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose. Even if you have a lot of time, many people are just too lazy to input all of their scores up regardless, or forget (i.e me).
Jellyfish McGub
play more
winber1

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

play more
i guess he's embracing it now
Topic Starter
chainpullz

winber1 wrote:

i mean of course this would be cool to have, but it requires quite a lot of time and effort to maintain it properly and organized. And it really requires a lot of people to know about this, otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose. Even if you have a lot of time, many people are just too lazy to input all of their scores up regardless, or forget (i.e me).
Considering there is a feature request for unranked scoreboards somewhere floating around with like 12k stars pinned to it or something I'd be surprised if there weren't people floating around somewhere with the time and desire to do this tbh. It's just a matter of rounding these people up and tossing them in a cattle pen and watching them graze imo. Just need to be herded in the right direction.
Minhtam

winber1 wrote:

Jellyfish McGub wrote:

play more
i guess he's embracing it now
one of us. one of us. one of us.
I Give Up
Epic unranked plays are usually found in youtube or linked in map description. You should probably start by selecting a map pool of difficult popular maps that not many can pass. As you gather more members then you can expand your map pool to not so difficult maps (~7 star) and so on. This will also be a great way to compile live plays / replays into one area and hopefully promote different styles of mapping. Good luck.