forum

Motivation gone?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Baka94
Recently my motivation for osu! has gone down by a lot. I do want to play osu!, but for some reason it doesn't feel the same as it used to. Before I played several hours a day and now it's more like play one or two songs and then quit :c
I mean I did just recently get under 100 000 in online rankings (probably won't stay that way long with the amount I play atm), which should be enough of a motivation boost, but no... Is these kinds of drop in motivation normal and what should I do to get it back?
Yuudachi-kun
Just play funny maps or something?

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/2822
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/161703
Spirit_Dreamer
Take short brakes (1-3 days) from time to time.Also you realy need a LOT more maps.
TMiracle
Don't play then.
Games are meant for fun, if you are not having fun and not feeling motivated - you are probably better off doing something else.
Just do what you enjoy the most.
Minhtam

Baka94 wrote:

Recently my motivation for osu! has gone down by a lot. I do want to play osu!, but for some reason it doesn't feel the same as it used to. Before I played several hours a day and now it's more like play one or two songs and then quit :c
I mean I did just recently get under 100 000 in online rankings (probably won't stay that way long with the amount I play atm), which should be enough of a motivation boost, but no... Is these kinds of drop in motivation normal and what should I do to get it back?
This actually happens quite often for me. Sometimes I just don't feel motivated to play this game. Other times I'm addicted to it. It happens.

The best way to deal with it is to take a break and do something else. If you really like to play osu!, that feeling will suddenly grow back to the point where a week or two later, you're just itching to play the game again.
gregest
enjoy game pls
-sev
Save yourself while you can
Topic Starter
Baka94

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

Also you really need a LOT more maps.
I've been getting some maps from multiplayer. Downloading maps from the "beatmaps" section doesn't work well for me unless I know the song (and the beatmap itself is at least decent). Song recommendations are fine too.

Minhtam wrote:

The best way to deal with it is to take a break and do something else. If you really like to play osu!, that feeling will suddenly grow back to the point where a week or two later, you're just itching to play the game again.

TMiracle wrote:

Just do what you enjoy the most.
Pretty much the other things I like to do is draw and make music, but those most of the time require some kind of inspiration, which is not easy for me to get. Normally I play osu! when I'm not feeling like I can be creative, but recently it has been the other way around. Now that osu! is "out of the picture" (for some time at least), I'm left with art and music, but I'm not feeling much more creative than when I played osu!, so I'm not really sure what to do about that. Just like osu!, music and art is something I enjoy.

I might be wrong, but after thinking it over I believe that the issue is lack of feedback on my work. Slowly over time I started to turn less creative and started to play osu! more to spend my time. And finally I lost motivation to osu!... Not really sure what I should do. All these 3 things are important to me, so I can't just give up on them :/
ZenithPhantasm

Kaienyuu wrote:

Myles

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

Take short brakes (1-3 days) from time to time.
Deva
quit while you can
ithgyu
otoed1

Kaienyuu wrote:

silento
Well, if you want to play, find things you like and do them.

Also breaks are very very good. They refresh your mind and can help improve you actually.
I Give Up
Dunno. I think the biggest slump is when you feel like you can't improve any more and haven't become successful vs time invest. All motivation goes down the toilet. Only way to fix that is to quit playing competitively, which may mean quitting overall.
vsprite
stop playing retart